raparian rights and things a question .

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Evening all ..

A stretch canal i use has recently bee aquired by someone for what i think is silly money , My question is , Is the new owner required to erect notices stating this water is now a season ticket / day ticket water and or contact details .

Also does the said rights owner now have the responsibility for the upkeep and state of repair or lack thereof of the tow path .

If any of you know ..

PG ..

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Probably not if they just have the fishing rights. The freeholder has the responsibilities

B

binka

I'm fairly certain that the towpath will be the responsibility of the Canals & Rivers Trust.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the towpath will be the responsibility of the Canals & Rivers Trust.

I would have thought so as well but they are denying all responseability for them , the condition is dire puddles best part of 12 inches deep and full width of the towpath total puddle is around 8 foot square there are several like that ...

but C&Rt say local Council they say land owner and so it goes round .. ho hummm i have threatened to get a few lads to cart some hardcore up and wackerplate it down but C&Rt say they only use high grade fill ( from what i see that means half enders ect )

PG ..

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Probably not if they just have the fishing rights. The freeholder has the responsibilities

Yes and therein lies a mystery wish i could find who that is ...

PG ..

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with finding out who it is, when I tried to find out who owned our local shopping parade a few years back it finally came back to an insurance company based in south east asia.
I think things have changed a bit now and everything has to be registered with the land registry when it changes hands but back then it was not a requirement.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Good luck with finding out who it is, when I tried to find out who owned our local shopping parade a few years back it finally came back to an insurance company based in south east asia.
I think things have changed a bit now and everything has to be registered with the land registry when it changes hands but back then it was not a requirement.
yep chased my tail around some already not going to give up thou spent a tenner on a dang season ticket now so want to get up there (without needing an aqua lung )

Right hope i have cracked this photo thingy now

Sandwell-20150318-00171.jpg

One of the marle holes ..

PG ..

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
yep chased my tail around some already not going to give up thou spent a tenner on a dang season ticket now so want to get up there (without needing an aqua lung )

Right hope i have cracked this photo thingy now

Sandwell-20150318-00171.jpg

One of the marle holes ..

PG ..

All you need is some dude fishing it and we got the caption competition again

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Yes and therein lies a mystery wish i could find who that is ...

Well, I assume your club is a memeber of the ATr (and if not why not?, the Public Liability insurance alone makes it worthwhile) so a call to them or Fish Legal is in order to nail down who has responsibilities for what. Fish Legal are very good with this kind of stuff

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well, I assume your club is a memeber of the ATr (and if not why not?, the Public Liability insurance alone makes it worthwhile) so a call to them or Fish Legal is in order to nail down who has responsibilities for what. Fish Legal are very good with this kind of stuff

Not a member of a club right now have looked at joining one but dont feel inclined to travel miles these days with the cost of fuel .

I am going to see if i can get past that5 again tomorrow a i want to fish an area up from there so we will see if not then it's Mucklows Hill for me ..

PG ..

nicepix

Reaction score
Evening all ..

A stretch canal i use has recently bee aquired by someone for what i think is silly money , My question is , Is the new owner required to erect notices stating this water is now a season ticket / day ticket water and or contact details .

Also does the said rights owner now have the responsibility for the upkeep and state of repair or lack thereof of the tow path .

If any of you know ..

PG ..

Regards notices; it is the angler's responsibility to ensure that they have permission for any water they fish. Not the fishery owner to reinforce their rights by erecting notices.

I used to fish a lot of free, unfished waters and it could be difficult trying to locate the owners. Where I used to live I discovered that UK Coal owned a lot of the banks of waters I was interested in; most of the River Dearne for example and also some derelict canal banks. I wrote to them and they wrote back with a letter that contained a disclaimer for their part, but gave me permission to crack on. I also used to ask farmers about access to river banks and got permission to access some areas that would have been out of bounds to anyone who hadn't asked.

The Canal Trust doesn't control all canals. I used to fish one that came under the EA auspices. I wrote to them to clarify this and also the close season status.