Grand national

caelan

Reaction score
HI all any gamblers on here need a winner for Saturday looking at the list of
runners on Saturday a few have a connection with fishing unless anyone has a good tip to give out

terry m

Reaction score
Never understood the attraction of betting on horses personally.

Though I did have a good friend who made a living from gambling at one stage. And, he always swore that intelligent gamblers would not touch the Grand National with a bargepole, it was too unpredictable.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
HI all any gamblers on here need a winner for Saturday looking at the list of
runners on Saturday a few have a connection with fishing unless anyone has a good tip to give out

Its a bit of a lottery but, the Racing Post Ratings are as good as a guide as any.-
Since the fences have been tamed a lot over the last years, not so many outsiders come in. These two horses are 14/1 and 20/1, are 2nd and 3rd rated (the top rated is only 9/1) have good fairly recent form and if they stay up, have as good as chance as any other.
Soll and The Druids Nephew

But, I wouldn't put more than tuppence each way on them and closing your eyes and sticking a pin in will work just as well, it really IS that sort of race.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Have a few quid on Creosote

Great over fences;)

Hat, coat, Taxi......................................

---------- Post added at 07:26 ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 ----------

Though I did have a good friend who made a living from gambling at one stage. And, he always swore that intelligent gamblers would not touch the Grand National with a bargepole, it was too unpredictable.
Absolutely the best tip for the National

B

binka

Only time I ever had a punt on the horses was when I was working out of an office in Digbeth, Birmingham and every year we chucked a pound each in and picked a runner out of a hat.

I won three out of the four years I was working there! :D

flightliner

Reaction score
Only race I ever bet on, Red rum did ok for me in the past and to be honest I dont think for a minute I'm out of pocket, that said however a pound each way is as much as I've ever played with--

tincatim

Reaction score
I like the odd bet on the horses, only bet what you can afford to lose and there's no problem. I sometimes just put £5 on my Skybet account and bet a quid here and there on football, horses and dogs. If I get above £10 I put that back in my bank and play with the rest. I managed to gain £35 off a fiver last week so I'm happy with that.

The Grand National is anybody's race as had been said, I wouldn't put it past Tony Mcoy winning in his last national. He's favourite with Shutthefrontdoor at 7-1. £2 each way for me and maybe another £1 e/w on Balthazar King.

I wouldn't spend much more as its too risky on this one.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never been in a betting shop and have no intention of starting now but good luck to you lads who like a flutter.

law

Reaction score
Nope.
The National is on par with commercial match fishing. Winning is of primary concern, animal/fish welfare second.

caelan

Reaction score
It was on the cards the wife had the winner at 33/1 just trying to get a sub till pay day lol

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Half way round mine were one and two, then one fell and the other one faded away. A moments happiness for me followed by misery, a bit like fishing when you hook decent fish and then lose it.
I only won it once and then lost it. I was working in a shop and I had my eye on one of the shop girls. She came in one Saturday on national day all upset as her boyfriend had chucked her the night before. Never one to waste an opportunity I thought I would show her how kind I was and gave her one of my national tickets. I said if it wins it should cheer you up. It won at 18/1.
When I asked her out she turned me down, didn't even offer to buy me a drink.
Wemmin, horses and fishing, put on earth to create misery.
Have I learned any lessons yet, of course not !

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Tommy Cooper summed it up for me. My horse came in at twenty to one. It had been running since 10 o'clock.....:)

The Greek name Philip (Lover of Horses) is totally wasted on me, unless the parents meant "with chips and peas" I guess. Wouldn't know which end you put the petrol in, otherwise. :)