Storing split shot

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I find the dispensers that split shot are sold in not user friendly
The multi shot containers that have a top you turn to the shot size you want make getting the right number of shot out not easy with the smaller sized shot sizes (6 and 8 ect) and the small tubs that contain single sized shot have lids that you have to prise off and that sometime means I spill shot everywhere.

So I've started putting my shot in small containers as below- the small boxes from the Chub smart box
http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/chub-smart-box

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/community/news/5080_wednesday-review-chub-smart-box-complete

I use a permanent marker pen to mark up the size of the shot on the lid of each compartment - I've found it makes getting the number of shot you need so much easier

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have always preferred to use individual tubs of shot in the smaller sizes.

I tried using those boxes, well, the Fox versions and found tha tthe tops were not all that secure resulting in spillage that is just too time-consuming.

It is no fun trying to separate size 8's and 10's or smaller . . . . . . . . .

These are the ones I use:

Sensas `Green` Micro Shot - Matchman Supplies

bennygesserit

Reaction score
For smaller shot I use those individual dispensers that you have to turn upside down and also turn to bring another single shot into the dispenser, all the others are in two or three small tins.

B

binka

I still use an old (Dinsmores?) multi compartment shot dispenser which I've had for well over fifteen years now, amazing how I've never managed to break it during that time.

I do use the no.8 compartment for a mix of 8's, 10's & 12's but still find it easy to pick out what I want.

Easy to top up, shot all in one place, rarely if ever I spill any... It does the job for me.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I still use an old (Dinsmores?) multi compartment shot dispenser which I've had for well over fifteen years now, amazing how I've never managed to break it during that time.

I do use the no.8 compartment for a mix of 8's, 10's & 12's but still find it easy to pick out what I want.

Easy to top up, shot all in one place, rarely if ever I spill any... It does the job for me.

you have a steadier hand than me :D

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I spill shot everywhere

That's two of us then M'Lud

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

I got fed up with tubs or tins for shot as I was forever accidentally spilling the contents in my box or bag. I switched to using glassine envelopes and find them much easier to handle:

Lindner Glassine Envelopes - Various Sizes & Quantities - For Stamps Seeds Craft | eBay

That looks worth a try

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I imagine half the shot that end up on the floor is due to anglers becoming over excited at the start of a day's fishing...I should know as I've done it myself when trying to get the float just right with No 8 shot...

Should know better at my age.........................

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to keep them fresh be sure to store them in a north facing room away from the radiator.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
In a similar quest I gave this a try; like the dispenser, not so sure about the quality of shot vis a vis damaging the line, although stotz are from the same source & I'm very happy with them for smaller sizes.