New website seeking info

skill

Reaction score
I am building a website based on fishing rivers , Rivers in the Uk trout and coarse fishing , the site is online and still in its infancy and is in need of an injection of good content , I am looking for write ups on river fishing fly or coarse , the quality doesn't have to be good as I have software that sorts that out [god do I need it] but information on rivers in the UK fish, fishing , or the day that you have had , anything at all about rivers and fishing would be gratefully received. All info will be credited to the individual. photos are required too.tell me your bit please . send it to andy@riverangler.co.uk website River Angler tight lines to all of you.:)

law

Reaction score
Half the reason I fish rivers is because they are quiet, and the mystery about them.
nfortunately, I'm not prepared to share my info, because they wont stay quiet and noddy free for long!
Good luck in the venture though :)

Chefster

Reaction score
Half the reason I fish rivers is because they are quiet, and the mystery about them.
nfortunately, I'm not prepared to share my info, because they wont stay quiet and noddy free for long!
Good luck in the venture though :)
Heaven forbid you have to share Youre own personal river with anyone else,especially a noddy;)

dangermouse

Reaction score
I suspect you will have trouble persuading river anglers to give away specific information on their favourite fishing haunts. Most of them will have spent a good deal of time searching their rivers and finding their banker swims. So it`s perfectly understandable that they don`t want to give away their secrets only to find someone else who has only done a quick google search sat in them.

A case in point. A fishing mate of mine called Chris found a nice swim on the river Don. He had a couple of nice chub catches from it. Then he took a new job that meant he had to move to Scotland. Myself and another angler tried to find out where his secret swim was located but Chris refused to give up the location to either of us. I only asked once or twice, I believe the other angler, Chris`s dad, is still trying to pry it from him.

I do wish you good luck though.

nicepix

Reaction score
Heaven forbid you have to share Youre own personal river with anyone else,especially a noddy;)

There is a world of difference between drawing a peg number and setting up in a swim on a commercial that is fished day in and day out throughout the year, and spending time and effort locating a rarely fished swim on river that yields good catches.

Chefster

Reaction score
There is a world of difference between drawing a peg number and setting up in a swim on a commercial that is fished day in and day out throughout the year, and spending time and effort locating a rarely fished swim on river that yields good catches.

secretive lot:D

flightliner

Reaction score
Mentioning a river ,drain, canal where an angler has done ok may at best be considered ok, at worse to some not so, but to mention specific swims or even a general area is asking for the crowds to crowd you out as I'm sure some on here have found to their cost.
All the best in your endeavors but I fear it may be hard going.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Mentioning a river ,drain, canal where an angler has done ok may at best be considered ok, at worse to some not so, but to mention specific swims or even a general area is asking for the crowds to crowd you out as I'm sure some on here have found to their cost.
All the best in your endeavors but I fear it may be hard going.

Yes having made that mistake once you do not do it again not no way .. :mad:

PG ..

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I suspect you haven't really thought this through mate. Would you really reveal the whereabouts of ''Captain Kidd's'' buried treasure to all and sundry, and expect it not to be pillaged. Yes, I know this is a crude analogy, but to someone who has spent time and effort locating a little bit of heaven, to then reveal it to all just doesn't make sense. And I speak of one who knows.

Rich P

Reaction score
I don't think (as least, it hasn't been mentioned) that he's asking for details of specific swims, or even a general area, stating where fish have been caught.

What a bunch of extremely negative responses so far, based on nothing but assumptions. I imagine quite a few anglers on FM have benefitted from shared information.....

Should we not be encouraging younger/novice anglers to fish rivers?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I don't think (as least, it hasn't been mentioned) that he's asking for details of specific swims, or even a general area, stating where fish have been caught.

What a bunch of extremely negative responses so far, based on nothing but assumptions. I imagine quite a few anglers on FM have benefitted from shared information.....

Agree with the encouragment aspect, but do you really think that having it put on a plate will in the long term prove beneficial, given that the single most vital aspect is one of finding them before catching them even comes into play.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Having had a quick look at the website, its actually very good, lots of information. In this respect I think its a good idea. providing maps, where to fish, which clubs, free, day tickets etc is excellent. This is what I think you should concentrate on. When I travel I like to look up possible places to fish and your website could become a good one for this. Once you get more content and more rivers information on it, it will improve.
Your obviously going to hit a bummer asking for exact locations of swims and whats being caught, anglers are secretive, I am, for good reasons-you may find a few anglers who could give up to date river conditions and just a general "hows it fishing report, what baits are working etc". That may be a better thing to look for. If you ask for that, you may get a few interested.
There's a lot of scope for the website, I wouldn't give up on it just think about whats feasible and whats not. Fill it up with as much general information as possible.
Good luck with it, I think you have the makings/beginnings of something that could be a worthwhile exercise for anglers to use. keep thinking and importantly, listen as well, you may feel a bit let down at some of the responses but, its useful feedback, which is what your looking for. Discuss it more, get a feel of what anglers want, whats useful etc. A better question maybe is "how can I improve this, would you like to take part, what could/would you contribute" something along those lines. I will bookmark it and use it. Discuss it more. Dont worry about criticism, its part of it and can be helpful.-the best of luck.
I have only had a quick look so far so, my comments may be out of touch but, I hope it helps.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi there,
Sounds like a good idea - but you might hit a bit of a problem with rival sites - like this one: Fishing on the River Cherwell (Thames Tributary) - Where to Fish Angling Directory. The good fishing guide since 1822 - now online! which I believe is owned by part of the same stable as this forum.
Perhaps if your site provided additional content and links to the "Wheretofish" site it might even get some support from the 'Fish&Fly' company family! ;):rolleyes:
Good Luck!
Trouble is Greenie, whatever you think of or do these days there's always plenty of competition on the web. Imagine you want to start up a fishing forum. Type that in Google and there's 57.000 results. (would it be better if some of them amalgamated?) And that applies to almost anything these days. I think at some point-you would give up before you got going. I think if you have something that you think is good, you might as well just go for it and hope you shine at some point. A good bit of work has gone into this site as far as i can see and its early days.
Theres a lot of dead wood on the net, some start something up, after six months they do not get many visitors and they abandon it although the site ends up still on the internet. I bet 75% of those 57.000 fishing forums are like this, although I accept they wont all be actual forums, its obviously still too much. Its awash with dead wood like this. Someday it will have to be cleaned up. Think about it, 57.000 fishing forums, its ridiculous. I think I may have got that wrong, its 57.400.000 worldwide, still ridiculous as I bet half of them dont get any visitors all year round.

Last edited:

law

Reaction score

Encouraging people and giving away info are different things.

I lost a upper 30 carp in the river I fish at the net. It then flooded and I assumed the fish had gone. I then spotted it a year later so vistied the stretch every day for 5-6 weeks (15 miles from my house) and walked the 2 miles of river till I worked out where he hung around and where he fed.
Do you really think Im going to share that info for someone else to jump in amd catch said fish?

Chefster

Reaction score
Yes having made that mistake once you do not do it again not no way .. :mad:

PG ..
What would you do if you got to you,re favourite swim,and someone else "had also discovered it",through walking the river,etc,would you tell them its you,re swim cos you found it first??

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
What would you do if you got to you,re favourite swim,and someone else "had also discovered it",through walking the river,etc,would you tell them its you,re swim cos you found it first??

Having had just that happen you feel like going up to them and saying Oi clear off my swim but of course you dont ( unless you know the person in which case you do with a wink or smile :wh )

But it is mighty annoying to put it mildly . which is why i only mention bits of canal that most people find easy to locate i have other little gems i have hunted down but keep stum about them down to even watching the cars behind me if someone is on my tail for too long time to square the block ..

PG ..

skill

Reaction score
Thanks Dangermouse, Richp, markg, greenie62 and all the others . the website is more of a general who owns what water rather than a whats in that swim site but its good to see anglers haven't changed and still keep their secrets , [so they are secrets to keep] the site will be a bit of that and a bit more blog like in the future, with articles of a days fishing and a day fishing for your favorite species. There is an abundance of fishing related subjects to cover and I will include fly fishing too as coarse and fly are both passions of mine. Any help stories write ups on rivers good or bad [without disclosing too much], any tackle you use that is good bad anything at all fishing then send it to me please including photos , I do fish all over the country when I can but I promise not to follow you up the river bank , thank you all for the comments. site is new but growing. wwwriverangler.co.uk

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Had a quick look at the Thames section and there's a link to free fishing on the weirs and locks on the Thames. It's not free but £28.50 for a weir permit. Hope this helps.