Problems with a Ghost.

chris k

Reaction score
We have a Ghost Carp in the local water that I fish. The ghostie tends to stay confined to a small little area. Now the thing is nobody seems to be able to catch it. People have been trying every method and bait going. There is an outlet pipe in that small area and overhanging trees so I'm guessing it's feeding on naturals that fall into the water!?! Etc. Any tips or thoughts on how best to capture this beast?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Two or three grains of sweetcorn cast to the area would be a good start, I'd say - a small carpet of hemp / particles.

I'm a big believer in sweetcorn for this kind of area-linked catching.

Catching the ghost carp will be an interesting exorcise. Sorry. :)

dangermouse

Reaction score
I`d go for a floating bait, that way you can actually see your target fish take the bait. Just a matter of getting it feeding confidently and then throwing a hook bait out.

If it is completely absorbed with naturals then either collect some of what it`s feeding on and use that or maybe try a zig rig with a imitation bug.

A further option would be to buy a box of crickets from the pet shop and surface fish them. I know Chav Professor uses them with some success in his chub fishing.

nicepix

Reaction score
Small red worms or brandlings, two or three on a hook, cast as close as possible to the outlet pipe and watch the line where it enters the water for signs of a take.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I notice that you say 'every method and bait going', in that case i'd plump for a couple of slices of bread, one lightly spread with 'Gentlemens Relish', make into a sandwich, press lightly with rolling pin or beer bottle, (makes the process more enjoyable). At the lake/pond side, use the largest Breadpunch you have, and use a couple of discs hair rigged. Floating if you wish, or finger compress to make it sink.

Best wishes on a successful result :thumbs:

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Because the fish is seen a lot in an area doesn't necessarily mean that it feeds there on a regular basis, have you tried looking for the fish in different areas at different times of the day? Also remember that if you can see the fish unless you are concealed the fish can most definitely see you, stealth and concealment are still as important as they have always been.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
if you fish for it using floating baits it might be worth lifting the bait out of the water if another carp looks like taking it - this will prevent the carp thrashing in the water and spooking the ghostie

fruitowl

Reaction score
if it has been put their by someone who's pond it has out grown would be worth looking at the coloured pellets used for garden ponds maybe what it is used to feeding on

cattyfatty

Reaction score
like people have said with floating bait ,this may be a chance off nabbing one out.
you say there's a overhanging tree what i would do is put some free offerings around the tree to get them feeding .
and get your floating hookbait and cast over a small branch to the side of the tree so your hookbait is just touching the water , and make sure the soft branch will give when the hookbait is taken .this will not spook the ghost carp seeing line on the surface.just a idea to try.