Thurne System fish Kills

B

binka

I hope to God that it's something more temporary than Prymnesium that's causing the problem after the devastation it caused the last time around.

I wonder if advances in chemistry and technology might provide some sort of solution if it looks to be developing again, as a perch fancier it doesn't bare thinking about after reading those links and you have to worry for all fish stocks whatever is going on.

It sounds like a great deal of effort has already been put in rescuing fish and monitoring the situation, let's hope things return to normal very quickly.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've done a quick google search and it seems the effect of dredging causing Prymnesium parva to release toxins is known - why is this still being done if the effect are known and documented

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I've done a quick google search and it seems the effect of dredging causing Prymnesium parva to release toxins is known - why is this still being done if the effect are known and documented

Thats simple they are more interested in making sure the boats get thru with zero regard for the Anglers .. same on the canals .

PG ..

john step

Reaction score
Thats simple they are more interested in making sure the boats get thru with zero regard for the Anglers .. same on the canals .

PG ..

I wonder if the clamour for dredging after the floods has anything do do with it as well?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I wonder if the clamour for dredging after the floods has anything do do with it as well?

would not surprise me at all my view is you choose to live on a flood plane this is the price you pay same as living next to a river .. rivers flood you get wet a fact of life .

I have heard recently that they intend to dredge a section of canal i fish it was only done a few years ago but the boaters want all the habitat removed ( the weeds ) and dredged funny what a few gobby eejits with a mouth in the right place can achieve ...

PG ..

Michael Hastings

Reaction score
Hi Peter & all , Yes PAC & BASG have been campaigning to stop dredging since the ill conceived "Island recreation" scheme in 2012. We warned of the dangers then, the Broads Authority dredged anyway and within weeks there was a Prymnesium outbreak & fish Kill.

Believe it or not the BA are still planning to dredge the northern end of Hickling this autumn.
News gets worse. Since I posted last night there have been fish deaths on Horsey Mere and yet another outbreak of Prymnesium.

PAC will continue to fight against dredging & any other activity that disturbs the chemistry of the water column.

PAC are also trying to fund research by scientists at the John Innes Centre who are trying to understand & combat Prymnesium. EA were funding this but stopped last year.

PAC member Kevin O'Keefe is running a charity auction to raise funds, details here;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/315893168565514/

We really appreciate the interest shown here. Although this fight is being led by PAC we are all aware that fish of all species are being killed, not to mention the birds (such as Bittern) and mammals that rely on fish for food.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I tried to PM you but couldn't.

A couple of questions, how do you take part in the auction? I'm lost on facebook!

Secondly, how can I make a donation to the fund?

I remember you from the ATr forum on livebaiting some years ago, before we were 'deleted'. Hope you are well and still catching.

Don't get up to the Broads and Fens these days but did so for many years and may do again. These outbreaks have got to be preventable. They only seem to occur on the Upper Thurne (which used to be the Lower Thurne before the River reversed) and are very near the Sea. It seems to correlate with dredging which must release something into the water which causes the bloom.

Regards

Stu

Michael Hastings

Reaction score
Hi Stu, you have a good memory! All good thanks.

From what I understand Prymnesium requires very specific conditions for it to bloom. I know a slight degree of salinity (which the Thurne has) is one of the criteria. Anything that disturbs the chemistry of the water column can trigger a bloom. There have been four separate "small works" on or around the Thurne system since February.

I'll pass your message onto Kev who is organising the auction as he will have the answers.

Best wishes

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
What a tragedy. It took nigh on 15 years to recover from that one. It's amazing that nearly 50 tears on, we still don't seem to know how to avoid it.

Stu