A most valuable piece of advice

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I think most of us could recount something along those lines in our early days of fishing.

I know I received many tips in my youth, but one that stands out clearly for me back in the sixties was given to me by a great angler by the name of ''Steve Crawshaw''. Steve urged me to invest in a pair of polarized glasses, as he was adamant that they would be a great asset whilst Barbel/Chub fishing on the Yorkshire rivers. Little did I realise what impact they were to make on my results, both in locating and catching many Barbel and Chub, and need I say Pike.

Hardly surprising then that I was christened ''The man with no eyes'' as I've never been without them since that day.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Same here, polarized glasses are (and have been for many years) one of the most important items of my kit and never go on the bank without them..................

cg74

Reaction score
A tough question without writing a never ending list but in short I'd say location, don't spook them and stimulate a feeding response.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, second on my list would have been 'if you know they're there, and they don't know your there - etc., etc.................................'

But I'd still want my Polaroids...................:)

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As a budding specimen angler (or at least thats how I thought of myself) I was once told by my old fishing mate, "It's only fishing, if you're not enjoying it, go home: the fish will still be here tomorrow".

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Creeping up on Chub in the smaller clearer rivers, is to me the ultimate achievement , made infinately more predictable whilst wearing polarized glasses.

Most, if not all of my angling life has been spent stalking different species. That was the fishing I enjoyed most of all. And to this day I still maintain Chub being the most difficult. And at the opposite end of the scale Pike and Carp the easier, at least for me on the waters I've fished.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Best advise

" All good things, come to those who wait "

Mind you being on the " right water, with the " Best Tackle " and having the " Correct Bait " helps.

Bob

law

Reaction score
Fish into the wind!

That's terrible advice. It all depends if it's a warm wind or not, depth, time of year...all sorts.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Find the fish and don't be afraid to move. Employ the 2 hour rule. As in, if you haven't had a bite withing 2 hours move.

Basically, spend as long as it takes to find the fish. 4 hours finding them can result in a fish within minutes as opposed to spending a whole session blanking if the fish aren't there.
And move if you see fish elsewhere and you aren't catching.
I'll move 4-5 times in a trip if need be. If I'm doing a night, I'll move at 3am if the fish start boshing elsewhere.

Chefster

Reaction score
For Matchfishing,Keep things simple,rigs,bait etc,concentrate on location and presentation..Gaz

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
When I first started competing in Open matches I couldn't believe the talent I was up against. So different from club stuff.
I got battered every time.
One particular day I lost my rag and threw my rod up the bank and turned the air blue.
Later on I got the best bit of advice which still rings in my ears.......

" what was that all about, you're not good enough to shout and scream"

nicepix

Reaction score
Creeping up on Chub in the smaller clearer rivers, is to me the ultimate achievement , made infinately more predictable whilst wearing polarized glasses.

Most, if not all of my angling life has been spent stalking different species. That was the fishing I enjoyed most of all. And to this day I still maintain Chub being the most difficult. And at the opposite end of the scale Pike and Carp the easier, at least for me on the waters I've fished.

I agree. It is like stalking sheep - eyes everywhere and if you spook one the whole shoal disappears in a flash. Trout stalking on rivers is child's play compared to sneaking up on chub. And how is it that no matter how long you study the shoal and their movements there is always one small one you hadn't noticed that nips in and nicks the bait expertly cast to the big 'un? :(

Polaroids and a brimmed hat for rivers. Bino's for lakes. That is my tip.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score

I used to fish a tiny shallow river with very easily spooked chub.
The field had a lot of cattle in it. The chub would take absolutely no notice
of the cattle ambling along the bank.
I found that by keeping low and walking with the cattle I could get close enough to the chub and to get down below the skyline and catch one or two.
Simples.:wh

thecrow

Reaction score
I used to fish a tiny shallow river with very easily spooked chub.
The field had a lot of cattle in it. The chub would take absolutely no notice
of the cattle ambling along the bank.
I found that by keeping low and walking with the cattle I could get close enough to the chub and to get down below the skyline and catch one or two.
Simples.:wh

Could have dressed as a pantomime cow, need someone for the back end though.

The bad one

Reaction score
That's terrible advice. It all depends if it's a warm wind or not, depth, time of year...all sorts.
I'll stick with it as its produced 100s of double figure bream, big tench (summer) and big roach and pike during the winter. :p

laguna

Reaction score
I'll stick with it as its produced 100s of double figure bream, big tench (summer) and big roach and pike during the winter.
I get where your coming from Phil, if the the wind is in your face your on the right side of the bank where the food may accumulate?

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Use a smaller hooklink or trace as we used to call it.

I spend my childhood years fishing straight through using far too thick a line.... don't be afraid to scale it all down once you learn how to play a fish.

rubio

Reaction score
Sound advice - Landing net is the first bit of kit to set up