The mind bending effects... of fishing

retrobob

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a full day session on the bank of a small lake in Earith, Cambridgeshire. This is a pleasure only lake, no bloated mud pigs in site (well, very few) so I was fairly light float fishing (caught three nice tench to 4lb 4oz, and later on a tonne or rudd, a roach and a perch).

I'd been fishing since maybe 8am, around midday the wind got up causing ripples on the water. I was watching my float intensely, as you do and as you've probably guessed by now, when I looked away (e.g at the bank), my vision was 'wavy' - literally like the effect you see on a TV program when they go to a deam sequence. I passed later, presumably as the wind died down. Has anyone else experienced this (or do I need to see a doctor!). I guess it was due to the constant small waves in one direction (North wind was blowing in to my corner of the lake - I chose well other than to fish on a day with cold wind!).

It's a reminder that vision/mind/memory is only showing you what your eyes percieve and mind translates... not what is actually there (I hope the bank was not being warped back and forth).

B

binka

Lol... It's a weird sensation innit?

Happens to me quite often and I suspect it's not uncommon, look on the bright side though... You'd normally have to neck ten pints to get to that stage and you're getting it for free :)

benny samways

Reaction score
I get it a lot especially when fishing rivers. Sat for ages watching the tip with the flow of the river moving behind it: when I look down to my bait bucket or at my feet the ground is 'flowing' like the river!

It is to do with visual perception and how a lot of the time our brain makes up what we are seeing (normally quite correctly) as for the brain to pay attention and process everything would mean we could barely pay attention to anything else.

I always thought it was because I had taken far too many mind altering substances in my youth so to hear someone else experiencing the same thing is great! Erm...

tincatim

Reaction score
This happens to me all the time, especially when watching a quivertip against a rippley water background. It's a strange phenomenon isn't it? I also had a mispent youth and can liken the effect to tripping your nuts off on lsd :eek::D

law

Reaction score
I get exactly the same. It's real strange- it doesn't happen to the wife at all.

On a similar note, sometimes, when I've been out on my boat, a few hours after I'm home, I'll start to feel like I'm rocking side to side again. Sometimes it can last for days and can be quite scary if it happens mid drive home!

john step

Reaction score
I think its quite normal and its possibly eye strain. I get it looking to the distance where the far side seems to waver.....far side man:cool:

chav professor

Reaction score
I will see if I can load up an video..... it accentuates the effect...

I think what happens is you focus on the float, whilst the ripples are moving. When you look away :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWnFrd-i6E

Trippy, ain't it....

---------- Post added at 02:45 ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 ----------

I get it a lot especially when fishing rivers. Sat for ages watching the tip with the flow of the river moving behind it: when I look down to my bait bucket or at my feet the ground is 'flowing' like the river!

It is to do with visual perception and how a lot of the time our brain makes up what we are seeing (normally quite correctly) as for the brain to pay attention and process everything would mean we could barely pay attention to anything else.

I always thought it was because I had taken far too many mind altering substances in my youth so to hear someone else experiencing the same thing is great! Erm...

Acid flash backs...... far out maaaan!

tincatim

Reaction score
That's the effect chav! Thanks for sharing, I probably shouldnt have watched this just before I'm about to drive off :eek::eek::eek: