Fishing With Father

jack_forum

Reaction score
It’s 4:30 in the morning and I feel like my eyes are glued open. I’ve been waiting for this weekend for over two months, and it’s finally here. I know my father will be down in just a few minutes to wake me up, but it’s all I can do to keep laying here pretending to be asleep. Finally I give in to the urge and jump out of bed. My father is standing in my doorway, the hint of a smile appearing on his lips before he gives me a slight nod and turns away.
Hastily I grab the clothes I laid out the night before and throw them on, rushing down the hall and pulling on my shoes at the same time. I launch myself into the kitchen to find two brown paper bags, each containing two ham biscuits, which I grab on the way through. I find my father again, gathering up tackle and inspecting the fishing rods and reels. As I watch, he grabs the two Piscifun baitcasting fishing reels that are his favorites and adds them to the others we will take with us.
After what seems like an eternity, we are finally ready to go. We reach our favorite fishing spot just in time to watch the sun rise over the distant horizon, and the first rays pierce the light fog dancing just above the water. We walk down a short trail to the water’s edge where there are two large rocks perfect for sitting and fishing.
My father inspects fishing the poles one last time, then equips each one with a shiny, new fishing hook. From there he takes out a tub of night crawlers, opens it, and sets it between us. I watch him take out one of the plump worms and work it around on his hook, and I try to do the same with mine. It doesn’t turn out as good, but I am proud the worm doesn’t go flying off when I cast my line into the water, and out of the corner of my eye I can see my father nod in approval. I puff out my chest just a little and reach for my other pole when I see the bobber on my first line briefly dip below the water.
Dropping the other pole, I ever so gently pick up the pole I have in the water, being careful I don’t send any tremors down my line to warn the fish away. A minute passes. I am focusing so intently on the bobber I notice every detail down to the single drop of water clinging to my line, the sun reflecting tiny prismatic lights through it. It dips again, quickly and lightly; just a nibble. I restrain my mounting excitement and hold my rod steady. Another minute passes. Then two. Just as I’m thinking the fish decided against taking my bait, the bobber disappears completely under the water!
I jerk my rod up and feel it snag the fish. At the same time, my arms are jerked out in front of me as the fish fights back. Before I know it, I’m standing shin deep in one of the oxbows of the mighty Mississippi, along the border of Tennessee, having the most ferocious fight with a fish in my life, and it’s all being witnessed by my father. I see him out of the corner of my eye start to get up to come help me, but I spare a quick second to wave him away. I got this.
After another fifteen or twenty minutes my arms feel like gelatin, water is up to my knees, and I’m sweating profusely. I know this is a big fish on my line, but the reel I’m using isn’t the best and I don’t know if it can get the job done. My father has grabbed the fishing net and is standing patiently beside me. With one final heave I bring the fish closer, it’s now within five feet or so of where we are standing. My father lunges forward and scoops it up in the net. Relieved I can finally release the tension in my arms, I glance into the net and see the biggest bigmouth bass I’ve ever seen!
Back on the shore, my father untangles the bass from the net and holds it out to me. I hold it up while he takes a picture. “You did well, son,” he says, “I think you earned this.” In his hand he is holding out one of his Piscifun baitcasting reels. My father is a man of few words, but in this instance, none were needed. I took the offered reel, baited it, and continued fishing, occasionally glancing at the huge bass in our wire fishing trap, then back to my new fishing reel. I had never felt so proud.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Is this a real event....or is it some chapter from a novel?....I am not sure.

However, it is an interesting tale and reading between the lines I imagine it is some kind of baptism into fishing for a young man who clearly enjoyed what seemed to be his first visit to the fishing grounds.

Not sure what the point is though .....so could I ask the author to expand on what the tale represents?

....I for one....would be interested to hear it.

Maverick

bracket

Reaction score
Like you say Jack, an interesting story and it would be nice to know what the moral is. Unfortunately my own experience nowhere near matches this tale. My Father never fished and I used to go out with my Grandfather. When it was he and I, it was great, however when he took me on Club matches it was a case of sitting and watching him fish for five hours, which was informative but frustrating
This would be followed by a similar length of time sat outside the pub with a bottle of Tizer and packet of Smiths' crisps with the blue twist of salt, watching over the gear. I would always fall asleep in the coach on the way back only to be woken by a elbow in the ribs and the instructions "Come on Young'Un gee us a hand w'tackle". I am not moaning, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. I am writing this in the Pub now, what does that tell you. My Grandad was a good old stick and I like to think he's floating about in the Ether somewhere keeping an eye on me. Christ I'm getting maudlin now, best have another pint before I breakdown in tears. Pete.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
A bit too idealistic for my memories of childhood - 'come on, out of bed you idle little ****' - 'But Dad, it's not 10am yet'...............I get my own way now..;)

B

binka

A bit too idealistic for my memories of childhood - 'come on, out of bed you idle little ****' - 'But Dad, it's not 10am yet'...............I get my own way now..;)

And there was me thinking that your reluctance to go fishing at Tee-Cee time was down to some awful early morning, thankless childhood paper round?

Nothing changes :eek: ;) :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
And it would it was a case of sitting and watching him fish for five hours, which was informative but frustrating
This would be followed by a similar length of time sat outside the pub with a bottle of Tizer and packet of Smiths' crisps with the blue twist of salt,

That would be considered psychological child cruelty these days. Especially making you eat soggy crisps and that big feeling of let down when you discovered the blue twist of salt was all wet and you could not pour it over your crisps.

bracket

Reaction score
And it would it was a case of sitting and watching him fish for five hours, which was informative but frustrating
This would be followed by a similar length of time sat outside the pub with a bottle of Tizer and packet of Smiths' crisps with the blue twist of salt,

That would be considered psychological child cruelty these days. Especially making you eat soggy crisps and that big feeling of let down when you discovered the blue twist of salt was all wet and you could not pour it over your crisps.

markg.
If that is now considered to be psychological child cruelty, then this world is in a worse state than I had thought. Modern kids don't know what they are missing out on. Going out, as a ten year old, with your Grandad, in the fresh air and countryside. Mixing with adult men and indulging in their leisure activites. Being excepted as "Albert's Lad", all part of the growing up process in a man's world. I loved every minute of it, soggy crisps and all. Nowadays young people stay in the education system until they are 25, which culminates in a "Micky Mouse" degree, a job at Ikea and still with the mentality of a ten year old. Is that supposed to be progress? if that's the case then I bless the day in 1941 that I was born. Pete.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
markg.
If that is now considered to be psychological child cruelty, then this world is in a worse state than I had thought. Modern kids don't know what they are missing out on. Going out, as a ten year old, with your Grandad, in the fresh air and countryside. Mixing with adult men and indulging in their leisure activites. Being excepted as "Albert's Lad", all part of the growing up process in a man's world. I loved every minute of it, soggy crisps and all. Nowadays young people stay in the education system until they are 25, which culminates in a "Micky Mouse" degree, a job at Ikea and still with the mentality of a ten year old. Is that supposed to be progress? if that's the case then I bless the day in 1941 that I was born. Pete.

Ha ha cranky - love it.
I too spent a lot of my early years going to fishing matches with my Dad , Hampton loade , Evesham etc I have very fond memories of running around fields with my brother , stealing apples ( these days that means having your phone nicked ) , creeping up on pigs ( pigs are actually massive ) and one wonderfull day , which I can still vividly remember even now nearly 40 years later , when it was so windy my older brother tried to teach my to "fly". I tied my duffle round my neck and ran down a steep bank numerous times holding the coat out like a wing. "I am sure you nearly made it that time" do you know I am convinced I nearly did.
As for being left outside the boozer with a bottle of tizer and a pack of "crisps" shocking I always preferred dandelion and burdock , who knows in those days it probably had dandelions in it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ha ha cranky - love it.
I too spent a lot of my early years going to fishing matches with my Dad , Hampton loade , Evesham etc I have very fond memories of running around fields with my brother , stealing apples ( these days that means having your phone nicked ) , creeping up on pigs ( pigs are actually massive ) and one wonderfull day , which I can still vividly remember even now nearly 40 years later , when it was so windy my older brother tried to teach my to "fly". I tied my duffle round my neck and ran down a steep bank numerous times holding the coat out like a wing. "I am sure you nearly made it that time" do you know I am convinced I nearly did.
As for being left outside the boozer with a bottle of tizer and a pack of "crisps" shocking I always preferred dandelion and burdock , who knows in those days it probably had dandelions in it.

Dandelion and Burdock-really ! That was sadistically cruel.

Last edited: