marlow angling club, westhorpe and ski lake

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys I'm a member of marlow angling club nd westhorpe lake and the ski lake are the waters closest to me. any one know of any catches in recent times on either of the 2 lakes? I haven't been able to go around to chat to anyone on the banks as im currently injured from sport at skl nd plus i rarely chat to ppl on the bank. I mainly go to the beconsfield lakes as its almost guaranteed silverfish sport lol

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The ski lake on westthorp farm owned by the Randall family contains some huge tench, but because of it's size and the weed growth (if it's still as it was 30 years ago !!) they are difficult to find. Hardly fished as most are put off by the ski'ers....
The small square lake behind did contain some decent roach and perch, plus a few tench but many years since I fished it....

Many years ago a very pretty lake existed behind the square lake but Randall filled it in. I used to have a 16' punt on this water which contained big crucians and good tench and roach.

Some big carp + tench in the Marlow Pit which sits next to the By-pass - again for it's size hardly fished. I've spent many, many nights on this water after the tench with 60lb bags on the cards IF you can find them !!

All these waters have great potential for really big fish, but you would need to make a major plan to catch them .............................

Good luck !!!

fishperch

Reaction score
I've only fished westhorpe nd only afew times over the 2 years I have been part of the club. its top to bottom weed usually ive been so tempted to rake a swim but i just haven't got round to it. I don't think those lakes behind the ski lake are part of the club unless ur thinking of the spade oak lake in little marlow?

whats ur pb from those lakes buddy?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
fishperch.....I'll try to explain a littler better;

After passing through the actual farm complex, the main ski lake with it's ski hut is on the left hand side. At one time another small square lake/pond existed on the right hand side and this contained some very good fish. It's quite possible Randall filled in this square lake - many years since I fished it !
The other lake I mentioned (where I had a punt) was further over to the RIGHT going toward the small lake belonging to Marlow which sits on the By-pass. This was filled in back in the 1980's......

From memory, the Westhorp ski pit offered tench (and good roach) and the best I caught was 6lbs (back in the late 70's !) from the bank which sits next to the sewage farm - a long walk from the car !
I also caught roach to 11/2lbs in good bags of fish caught fishing into the night......

ALL OF THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO, THOUGH !

Personally, if I were in your shoes I would forget Westhorp and concentrate on the two Marlow Angling pits which sit on the By-pass as these offer the best chances in my view. The smaller of the two, known locally as ' The roach pit ' held carp of some 38lbs at one time, but this fish dies some time ago. Held some good tench as well.....

Best access to both pits is via the blue bridge over the by-pass, and it's well worth walking the lakes in the evenings when big tench can be seen cruising around. LIKE ANY WATER YOU NEED TO DO SOME FOOTWORK AND DEDICATE SOME HOURS TO FISHING THESE WATERS TO BUILD UP A PICTURE OF THEM.
I SPENT 10 YEARS FISHING THEM EVERY WEEKEND AND DURING THE EVENINGS AFTER WORK AND I CAUGHT GOOD FISH, BUT THEY ARE NOT EASY WATERS.........................

Hope this helps..

fishperch

Reaction score
fishperch.....I'll try to explain a littler better; After passing through the actual farm complex, the main ski lake with it's ski hut is on the left hand side. At one time another small square lake/pond existed on the right hand side and this contained some very good fish. It's quite possible Randall filled in this square lake - many years since I fished it ! The other lake I mentioned (where I had a punt) was further over to the RIGHT going toward the small lake belonging to Marlow which sits on the By-pass. This was filled in back in the 1980's...... From memory, the Westhorp ski pit offered tench (and good roach) and the best I caught was 6lbs (back in the late 70's !) from the bank which sits next to the sewage farm - a long walk from the car ! I also caught roach to 11/2lbs in good bags of fish caught fishing into the night...... ALL OF THIS WAS A LONG TIME AGO, THOUGH ! Personally, if I were in your shoes I would forget Westhorp and concentrate on the two Marlow Angling pits which sit on the By-pass as these offer the best chances in my view. The smaller of the two, known locally as ' The roach pit ' held carp of some 38lbs at one time, but this fish dies some time ago. Held some good tench as well..... Best access to both pits is via the blue bridge over the by-pass, and it's well worth walking the lakes in the evenings when big tench can be seen cruising around. LIKE ANY WATER YOU NEED TO DO SOME FOOTWORK AND DEDICATE SOME HOURS TO FISHING THESE WATERS TO BUILD UP A PICTURE OF THEM. I SPENT 10 YEARS FISHING THEM EVERY WEEKEND AND DURING THE EVENINGS AFTER WORK AND I CAUGHT GOOD FISH, BUT THEY ARE NOT EASY WATERS......................... Hope this helps..

just to confirm are the roach pit nd westhorpe separate waters? I know that westhorpe and the ski lake are. on the MAC website it has roach pit next to westhorpe when describing the species

---------- Post added at 03:24 ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 ----------

just to confirm are the roach pit nd westhorpe separate waters? I know that westhorpe and the ski lake are. on the MAC website it has roach pit next to westhorpe when describing the species

http://www.marlow-angling-club.co.uk/about-us/
this is the link

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, they are separate waters....The roach pit is Marlow angling club BUT in the area known as ' Westhorpe '.
Westhorpe Farm is a totally separate enterprise - at least it was when I fished it !!

As I said before, it might be a good idea to do a recce by going over the blue bridge and this will give you direct access to both Marlow Angling waters which includes the big one with the 5 star hotel alongside. If you go down one of the turnings opposite Great Marlow School it will bring you to the blue bridge, and it's easy to park as well - BUT DON'T BLOCK THE PARKING FOR THE LOCAL HOUSES - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!

Well worth a walk around, and it will help you understand the area as well.........

Go for it !!!

fishperch

Reaction score
Yes, they are separate waters....The roach pit is Marlow angling club BUT in the area known as ' Westhorpe '. Westhorpe Farm is a totally separate enterprise - at least it was when I fished it !! As I said before, it might be a good idea to do a recce by going over the blue bridge and this will give you direct access to both Marlow Angling waters which includes the big one with the 5 star hotel alongside. If you go down one of the turnings opposite Great Marlow School it will bring you to the blue bridge, and it's easy to park as well - BUT DON'T BLOCK THE PARKING FOR THE LOCAL HOUSES - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !! Well worth a walk around, and it will help you understand the area as well......... Go for it !!!
oh u mean the housing estate by the industrial place? yeah im on that estate. I'll have to take a long walk all around the area once im better
thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 04:08 ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 ----------

also do u know of any mac or ex mac bailiff on fm?

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Fishperch, there was quite a lot of space in a previous thread whereby you were asking about bait for your holiday.
You were going to let everyone know how you got on. Have you been yet?

fishperch

Reaction score
Fishperch, there was quite a lot of space in a previous thread whereby you were asking about bait for your holiday. You were going to let everyone know how you got on. Have you been yet?
yeah i did mention it onto the thread but no one replied ( I assumed there was a problem with the thread or something) so I deleted it earlier today

---------- Post added at 08:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

yeah i did mention it onto the thread but no one replied ( I assumed there was a problem with the thread or something) so I deleted it earlier today
oh no I didn't delete it, i just erased it from the list on forum runner (the app i use forums on)

greenie62

Reaction score
Fishperch, there was quite a lot of space in a previous thread whereby you were asking about bait for your holiday.
You were going to let everyone know how you got on. Have you been yet?

Hi John,
It should show up under New Posts now!
Cheers :thumbs: