Record fish claims...

A

Andy Doughty

Looking at the current debate over the record perch (well done boy, by the way) am I the only one who thinks that the BRFC need a kick up the rear end?

In this day and age how can it take so long to sort out such a claim? Is it because the procedure is too long or involved? What is stopping me growing a bloody great gudgeon or roach or perch in my fish tank, putting it in my pond and then claiming a record from an undisclosed Cambridgeshire water? I think that the water where a record fish is caught from should be made public. It gives everybody a clear playing field, we would all know where we stand.

R

Ron Clay

Look at the roach record also. Personally Ray Clarke's fish of 4 lb 3 oz is still the record.

What is most important is that it is the fish that holds the record NOT the captor.

A

Andy Doughty

Yes Ron, the fish and the venue. Who caught it is also of interest, look at the top 50 pike, carp or zander lists and you can see a pattern of who is catching big fish and where they come from. Its the whole secret water thing that bugs me. A record is a special fish and all details should be entered into the record list.

M

Matthew Collington

But what happens at club waters where the land owner bans any publicity. They don't want people tresspassing over there land. Does the club 'leak' this info to get more members and subscriptions?

A

Andy Doughty

If a record fish is to be claimed then the water it was caught from should be named. No name, no claim.

D

David Will

I have some sympathy with the Dutch method of going on length rather than weight.This may just be enough to stop these copycat captures.

R

Ron Clay

That's an excellent bit of logic David. Record fish should be the biggest fish I guess, not the heaviest

You would't display an obese overweight person as a perfect specimen of manhood would you?

A

Andy Nellist

David you would get some wierd records using the dutch method. One of the pits off the M1 at Bedford did a pike of 51 1/2 inches that weighed 17 yes 17lb. We would simply replace fat fish with skinny fish for the records !!!!

A

Andy Nellist

Ron, neither would you say that the worlds tallest man at 8' 11" was a shinning example of good health !!!!!

R

Ron Clay

So here we have it. Neither weight of size is the deciding factor.

I think it boild down to whether you are a record hunter or a specimen hunter. A specimen should be classified as a perfect adult example of the species.

Boilie guts, split fins or lack of fins, scales etc are out.

Or maybe you don't think so?

A

Andy Nellist

I don't use like using boillies and tend to avoid waters where they are used

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
So what happens if a record is caught from a no publicity water then?

Why do you think that the water should be named?

What is it about the BRFC system that you do not like?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Or.....what happens if it comes from a stillwater during the close season on a shelflife boillie.....<Taking cover under kevlar blanket, covering head & groin>

D

David Will

Oh I give up , I don't know the answer.In the end a record means no more than the greatest potential size any species can attain until someone catches a bigger one.
Andy under the dutch system weight does not matter so whether its 17lb or 77lb makes no odds. We would just have to configure our minds differently.I accept that a 50 inch Pike would be the Ally McBeal of the Pike world and probably in need of a good meal but at one time in the past that fish would have weighed something like old Mona suggested it might.Fish stop growing in length at some point but can continue getting heavier.They can also drop in weight but once a genetically defined length is achieved, that is it ,no matter how many of Mr Richworths special egg nog boilies it eats.

S

shaun simpson

There will always be problems surrounding record fish, weight, length, perfect condition etc can all be all things at different times surely the problem lies not in whatever means is used to assess the record but whether the method used is applied equally to all species, look at previous problems with catfish and those that will arise one day with carp. I now purely fish for my own pleasure, aiming to catch fish that asthetically please me and i take very little notice what anyone else is catching, this isn't me taking the moral high ground or anything but simply that I like to set my own standards an means of measuring them, usually on the condition not size of the fish. Also I now getting much more into the wieght of tackle used on light weight tackle even moderate fish are good fun to catch.

A

Andy Doughty

I cant see the point in a no publicity water. If its a syndicate then dont let people join it, if its day ticket then why be no publicity?

I just think that as the record is not just the fish, but the whole event ie what, where, when and who, that it should all be recorded for everybody to see. There are serveral instances on the list at the moment where people dont name the water, but none where the captors name is held back. Wonder why that is? Dont they want anybody else to have a chance to catch the fish at a heigher weight and knock them off the list?