Madness

B

binka

Sorry Crow, your post just read "deleted" when I first viewed it... The link doesn't appear to be working though?

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
Sorry Crow, your post just read "deleted" when I first viewed it... The link doesn't appear to be working though?

Most sense from one of theCrow's posts for a long time! :D:eek:mg:

dangermouse

Reaction score
Although Baggy Trousers is fantastic my personal favourite is Night Boat To Cairo.

thecrow

Reaction score

Yes that's why I deleted it, the madness was yet again the EA not protecting the environment just the opposite in fact...........

The Weston Gate development, (Weston, Berkshire) contrary to the approved original plans to connect to the main sewer, have decided instead to install a Klargester system. This system would entail discharging "secondary treated sewage" directly into the River Lambourn. With no prior public consultation, the developers change of plan to install this system could upset the delicate balance of the river and result in contamination and damaging levels of phosphate developing. This could be extremely harmful to the purity of the river and its wildlife.

The River Lambourn is a protected, ancient and rare chalk stream. The river supports varied and diverse wildlife from otters and swans to trout and crayfish. 85% of chalk streams in the entire world are in England. These rivers have been likened to our equivalent of the rainforest, globally rare ecosystems which merit the very highest level of protection.

Please consider joining our campaign in order to protect this delicate and beautiful river

The campaign mentioned is a petition by 38 degrees who have been successful in the past, I have signed their petition (sorry don't have a link) and hope that they are successful in getting this crazy decision reversed.

Here's another bit

A CAMPAIGN to prevent treated sewage being discharged into the pristine waters of the River Lambourn has attracted nationwide interest and support.

But there was a major setback last week as the Environment Agency (EA) gave its backing to the hugely controversial proposals.

The row concerns a new housing development at Teekay Farm in Weston, which was granted planning permission eight years ago.

Critics claim developers have since been negotiating with West Berkshire Council planners to scrap initial plans to connect the homes to the main sewers and to use a cheaper option of discharging semi-treated effluent directly into the river.

A spokeswoman for the EA, Freya Dean, confirmed: “[The agency] issued the discharge permit at the end of last week. The permitting process included a number of modelling projections to make sure that the discharge would not reduce the quality of the water.

“The modelling assessments were reviewed and discussed before the permit was eventually signed off and issued”.

Villagers described this as “shocking and deeply disturbing news” and vowed, via their online campaign page, to “redouble our efforts in fighting this situation”.

Developers held an open day at the site last weekend – and visitors were greeted by a campaign sign placed in an adjacent field (pictured above).

Meanwhile one of the UK’s largest campaigning communities, 38 Degrees, has launched on online petition which was already heading for 300 signatories as this newspaper went to press.

It states: “The Weston Gate development, contrary to the approved original plans to connect to the main sewer, have decided instead to install a Klargester system.

“This system would entail discharging ‘secondary treated sewage’ directly into the River Lambourn.

“With no prior public consultation, the developers’ change of plan to install this system could upset the delicate balance of the river and result in contamination and damaging levels of phosphate developing.

“This could be extremely harmful to the purity of the river and its wildlife.”

Rare chalk streams like the River Lambourn have been compared to the rainforests – globally rare ecosystems which merit the very highest level of protection.

Villager Kirsteen Roberts said of the EA’s decision: “We’re incredulous that this has been allowed when there is a viable alternative that would prevent any discharge from entering the Lambourn.

“We have been told by the EA that they have to be reasonable with the developer on the basis of cost.

“Furthermore we don’t understand why original proposals which were agreed at the time of planning – to take the sewage to the mains – were not insisted upon by the council and those we pay to protect our rare environment.”

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Signed, I doubt that it will make much difference though, as you say, madness.

Stu

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Do "Klargesters" have form for failing to digest and for discharging higher levels of pollutants than promised?
They appear to be designed to digest and de-toxify sewage on-site, in cases where the mains sewerage system is too far away, Much like a muck heap, about which few seem to complain, but wetter, faster, less smelly.
I agree that an ecosystem as rare and sensitive as a chalk stream would be a daft place to try out a new technology, but the old tech is not without its problems (to put it mildly); has this been tested elsewhere with satisfactory results?
Is this fear of the new, or have there really been problems elsewhere?

---------- Post added at 07:34 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

Hmm . post #5 here:klargester | The Farming Forum isn't too positive...

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Do "Klargesters" have form for failing to digest and for discharging higher levels of pollutants than promised?
Alan, like most things, they work ok if they are maintained and managed regularly and correctly. I have no doubt that the negotiations with the Authorities have promised the cleanest efluent possible. One human error or ommision though....................

Stu

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Yet another nail in the coffin of the river Kennet, where is the Angling Trust when you need them?
Perhaps we have to wait for a disaster before Fish legal swings into action.