Me thinks the gilt is fading

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
The title refers to my own lack of ability to find a degree of seclusion on the bankside, due to physical limitations. My type of fishing (lures) requires the need to be mobile, which in turn enables one to reach out of the way sections of river and drain less frequented by the majority of anglers. That was one of the great joys for me over many years, and rewarded me with some spectacular catches.

So now, by necessity I may be reduced to seeking out those very area's I avoided like the plague, ''the infamous access points''. Time to bite the bullet eh.

Whinge over, other than to ask, how many others out there have, through one reason or another had to modify their approach in order to continue this passion of ours. But please don't recommend deadbaiting.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

I think it comes to many of us as we get older and you either give up fishing or find alternatives.

Due to multiple health problems I fish places I can get to easily, often straight out of the car.

I don't fish commercials, but I would if that was the only choice and I have learnt to adapt.

I fish near to car parks with short walks to the water, it's not the same as fishing wild out of the way places, but it's fishing and for me better than nothing ?

Bob

032.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Its not just me then?

I have just recently given up coaching for similar reasons, after 15 years working with difficult kids and I find myself having to limit where and how I fish.

The most important thing, Derek, is to fight the minds efforts to think of excuses not to go fishing!

Perhaps a small boat is the answer!

Last edited:
B

binka

I’m sure you will find some good spots still Derek and I wish you the best of luck, I know I and many of us will have the same thing to ponder one day.

It’s surprising what you can overcome although in my instance it was much more mental rather than physical.

About four years ago I went into complete meltdown for no apparent reason, hyper ventilating until frequently passing out with no obvious trigger and to this day I never knew what started it but suffice to say for months on end I worked from home and went nowhere, not even to the supermarket to shop and it was all done online for fear of looking a complete idiot when it invariably kicked off where I would then try and leg it back to the car before passing out.

Fishing was a definite no no.

I eventually had an intensive course of CBT and was taught that it doesn’t go away but there are ways of dealing with it and that is true as I like nothing better nowadays than to get a couple of miles out into nowhere and provoke it to happen knowing full well that flight isn’t an option… And it works, I almost get a buzz from it now.

Your post reminded me as initially, after many months of not even leaving the house, I would only fish where I was very close to the car and that felt like a real push.

I’m sure you will remain every bit as successful Derek, it’s not always where you know so much as what you know and you’re not lacking there ;)

Ps... Have you thought about deadbaiting? :doh:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The title refers to my own lack of ability to find a degree of seclusion on the bankside, due to physical limitations. My type of fishing (lures) requires the need to be mobile, which in turn enables one to reach out of the way sections of river and drain less frequented by the majority of anglers. That was one of the great joys for me over many years, and rewarded me with some spectacular catches.

So now, by necessity I may be reduced to seeking out those very area's I avoided like the plague, ''the infamous access points''. Time to bite the bullet eh.

Whinge over, other than to ask, how many others out there have, through one reason or another had to modify their approach in order to continue this passion of ours. But please don't recommend deadbaiting.

Derek-I know I have often said this before but it can be a worthwhile exercise- get a good ordinance survey map; the library often has one. Look for any blue bits, near a train station or a bus route can be helpful. I have found one or two a short walk from either and not bad fishing as well with no one around. Some of these country places, the bus driver will stop and let you off even if they have no bus stop and these could be out of the way and little fished. Traveling light helps as well especially if using public transport but, the same if using a car.. and I have done a lot in that regard lately. Just takes a bit of thinking about and modifying what you take. I quite enjoy my little bus rides with my minimal gear, takes the strain of driving away and I have found one or two good little stretches like his.
Certainly worth a good look at a ordinance map, you may be surprised what you find and if you don't, nothing lost really. Checking if the water is available is a bit harder though; a visit and checking for signs and asking around some locals and the internet can glean a bit more knowledge. Obviously I don't know where you live and you may be familiar with all that's available but you may uncover something that might suit; even a small stream have some good pike and perch. The plus is they may be empty of anglers and little fished..
I have found a few like this. One of the best things I did. Good luck.....

Last edited:

alsoran

Reaction score
Derek, Google earth is your friend. really useful to find the type of spots you like fishing, also get yourself a light folding step. Easy to carry and just enough to sit for a few minutes.

thecrow

Reaction score
Comes to us all i'm afraid Derek but with your type of fishing it must hit harder, all the days spent yomping down places like the relief wouldn't have helped either.

My own fishing has become more and more restricted over the last few years and it takes a while to come to terms with the fact that some swims are destined to become just a memory but nothing can take those away.

Keep at it as long as you can and when you cant do it any more change what you do but never give it up would be my advice.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've just romped past 72 years and I'm fishing more than ever at all times of the year, simply because I'm more aware now that the clock is ticking, and who knows when I might have to stop completely for some medical reason.....
Being physically fit I'm still more than capable of walking to swims at distance, although when I do so I carry as little as possible for obvious reasons. I also fish weekdays most of the time so I can still fish those swims closer to the car, if I so choose.

I suppose in some ways, I'm mentally cramming in as much as possible but I still have my targets, I still love getting up early and that first cup of tea on the bank still tastes just as sweet as ever it did......

The phrase I would use around all of this is ' making adjustments ' and by that I mean giving thought to what one is capable of NOW, and not to keep thinking back on what was possible in youth, and probably fitter times.
Not to say one mustn't have wonderful memories, but that is what they are - memories and facing up to what one is capable of in the present is of far greater importance. Some bright spark once said ' live for today ' and those few words have lot going for them.....

Sit down with a beer, think about where you are physically and mentally, and plan your next few years of fishing based on what you can comfortably do - then go enjoy it !!

ps I'm on for a hospital heart check up tomorrow morning, which I hope will be good news, but my focus is on what tactics I will employ when I go roach fishing the following morning at 6am......little point in thinking in any other way, IMHO...

Derek Gibson......I hope things work out and you find a new direction for your fishing....

Last edited:

BarryC

Reaction score
I do like piking in the winter but never could get into lure fishing, probably a confidence thing.
I do fish for many other species but realy enjoy seeking out Crucians. No monsters in my area but any Cru is a good Cru in my book.
The beauty of it is you can visit a lake and all the carp guys only fish swims with flat clear areas the size of a tennis court. The pole boys like a similar clear are for there platform contraptions. All the little tight spots between trees and bushes or with a bit of mud are all mine.
Lucky me.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Derek.....you have my sympathies. I'm not yet at the point when I have to seriously adapt what I do but there is no doubt there are things I can no longer contemplate and places I can no longer fish because of the sheer physical effort involved. I always swore I would never,ever use a trolley....I never go fishing without one now and I only take what I really,really need ( plus about 20%)

I rarely fish full days now....that is partly because I rarely have the time but also because I find it so tough physically. And I find it increasingly hard to get up early nowadays..

I dread the day when I just can't do it anymore but I'd rather fish the first swim by the car park than not fish at all.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Good luck Derek
It comes with age. I now find it difficult to do as much walking as I used to previously and also have a skin condition which involves taking a large 50+ UV brolly when the sun is out.
I have adapted my fishing accordingly and am still enjoying it, although fishing different venues for different species than in the past.
I am sure you will still enjoy your fishing, even though it may have to take a different course.
I wish you all the best and good future successes with your fishing.

slaphead

Reaction score
Derek, don't give up on your fishing.

I suffer from emphysema and have to adjust my locations accordingly.

I travel as light as possible and park as close as I can.

Joining local clubs may help, because during the week they may be devoid of anglers.

Coping with health problems can lead to anxiety, depression and other emotions. I find fishing a great release and once on the bank, wherever it is, my problems fade away. (Even if, as normal, the fish laugh at me and ****** off). :eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
This is all a bit despressing yet at the same time inspirational, it's going to come to us all at one stage or another but at the end of the day some poor buggers don't even get the chance in life so make hay whilst the sun shines I say, even if its not as bright as it once was it's still up there.

If i could quote a famous song..

They say any fishing's good fishing
So I took what I could get
And she looked at me with those big roach eyes
and said
You ain't seen nothing yet

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Where there is a will there is a way.

Sincere good luck in your endeavours to continue with something that you truly enjoy.

What about boat fishing, perhaps with a colleague?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Many thank's to all for your comments and suggestions on this thread. Rest assured I will persist within my limitations, after all my passion is as normal to me as breathing, so please don't count me out yet.

Even though Mrs G will not be overly impressed, as in recent years her stock response has been ''I really do believe you'd crawl along the bank to get there''. My answer to that ''Yes love, but my casting suffers whilst lying down''.