ohhh no its a diesal

caelan

Reaction score
filled the van up Monday at shell rejected my fuel card 3 times had to do it by hand good old days £51 quid later not gone more than 5ooyds and broke down what an idiot put un leaded petrol in an its diesal only waited 1 hour for the RAC just as well I was working an not going FISHING LOL

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hummm yes not good most diesels will handle upto 15 to 20% petrol but they dont like it up'em Mr Manering .

Not done it my self but a friends daughter filled a pug 205 1.0 with that sort of amount of diesel not good had to completely strip the fuel system out and wash it out Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

PG ..

robtherake

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago for the first time ever, I snapped out of a stare and realised, to my horror, that I was holding the green nozzle. Only a fiver's worth, though, so I filled it up with diesel and hoped for the best.

VROOM! The old Mk2 diesel Mondeo isn't a bad motor as diesels go, but by golly, what an amazing difference. It's still running like a good 'un, several regular fills later. Wonder if it's worth doing to my old motorhome.... :)

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago for the first time ever, I snapped out of a stare and realised, to my horror, that I was holding the green nozzle. Only a fiver's worth, though, so I filled it up with diesel and hoped for the best.

VROOM! The old Mk2 diesel Mondeo isn't a bad motor as diesels go, but by golly, what an amazing difference. It's still running like a good 'un, several regular fills later. Wonder if it's worth doing to my old motorhome.... :)

Probably given the injectors a good clean up, I know allot of the old military vehicles will run happily on contaminated fuel as a family member gets it for nothing from a local garage for his fleet of tanks, and Scammell recovery vehicles. The garage is happy for him to take it as they have to pay for its disposal.

My Mrs filled our new BMW with petrol the first time she took it on the forecourt, her excuse was it's so quiet she thought it was a petrol. Fortunately the guy at the next pump spotted what she was doing before she paid and drove off so it was a simple drain and refill job for the garage, still over £100 plus the cost of a tank of juice though.

theartist

Reaction score

The last time I woke up and found myself holding a green nozzle I called the doctor fast :D

floatfish

Reaction score
In the early days of Car Diesel, 1980's, before turbo's were a regular fitment,
in the depths of winter minus 7 plus each morning, we used to fill up with diesel
and add petrol to the mix in a vain attempt to stop the things fuel freezing.
Fuel additives put in the Diesel of those days was not good enough. Much improved in later years.

Funny bit looking back, the thing always froze and stopped on the same bit of road each time. Fitter knew where to come to. In those days you had to warm the fuel system best you could and bleed the things to get them going again.
Setting a small fire under the pipes was one way.!

terry m

Reaction score

I did exactly this many years ago with a brand new Audi diesel. Strangely it was the smell of the petroleum spirit that triggered my alarm. And thankfully I had only put about 1/4 of a tank in. Drove like a dream after topping up with diesel.

Not sure if it is still common practice, but years ago, HGV drivers used to add petrol during the colder months to prevent the diesel waxing in the tank and fuel lines.

floatfish

Reaction score
Not sure if it is still common practice, but years ago, HGV drivers used to add petrol during the colder months to prevent the diesel waxing in the tank and fuel lines.

Years ago Petrol Paraffin anything tried to stop them freezing.As far as I know it's not needed now modern additives put in by fuel companies go down to very low temps. It's no great problem.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the early diesels you could get away with running them on anything. When I was in the RAF I did a bit of gliding and we used to use a diesel motor to run the winch, that thing used to have two tanks, one was pure diesel which was used to start it and get it up to temp but the other was filled with contaminated avtur, jet fuel to the man in the street or paraffin if you like, mixed with generous amounts of used synthetic hydraulic oil, it was a constant source of debate as to what the ideal mixture should be but the general consensus was that if it was smokey it needed more jet fuel and if the exhaust manifold was cherry red it needed more oil. This debate had been going on since the club was formed 20 years previous.

Today's diesels however are far less forgiving, the injection systems are so sensitive a mere sip of petrol will kill them and cost hundreds of pounds to rectify so if you do make the mistake don't be tempted to risk it, you will cause serious damage to the injectors and the sensors for the ecu.