What colour maggots

chrissh

Reaction score
What colour maggots works best for you, white ,yellow, red, fluoro orange yellow

I find this works for me.

Red. Perch
White. Roach , Dace, Chub, Rudd, Tench
Red & White mix. Bream & Tench on feeder mixed
Fluoro orange yellow in the winter months float or feeder

caelan

Reaction score
I must say the reds have been very kind to me over the years catching me plenty of tench/bream /roach but when in Ireland it was white/red combo

B

binka

Reds for me too, second only to bronze over the long term which I try and avoid in general due to the ruddy mess they make of your hands and everything they come into contact with for days afterwards but every now and again I have to remind myself...

:eek:mg:

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I generally opt for reds, although sometimes it can be hard getting past the minnows with them. I occasionally take bronze for a change or a tub full of mixed.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I've tried switching between whites, reds and bronzes over the course of the last 3 years on the Macclesfield Canal and have found it made no difference to my catches, whether in size, numbers or mix of species.

Probably, like most variables in angling, it depends on the water being fished.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Red...unless I'm barbelling in which case white. Haven't used a bronze maggot for many,many years.

In the winter I like a handful of fluoro's in with the reds for the hook and back in my cut fishing days if the punch wasn't working then nothing beat double disco pinkie for roach.

I once had a brilliant day on the Kennet when big kipper dace were obsessed with yellow maggots,picking them out from mixed white/yellow/bronze......but for the life of me I cannot think why I had any with me. Never had a bite on any other colour that day and never had a bite on them again ! Very odd.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Reds with a handful or so of white as change hooker.... I also riddle off any dust/dead'uns/skins and clean them off as best I can.

I then place them in a large bait box and add some Krill powder or neat Groundbait, depending on the venue/quarry... this tends to "sweeten them up" and get rid of some of the ammonia smell

Then I riddle them off again and add more Krill/Groundbait before I leave home, with a final riddle off before I fish (if needed)...

Good quality bait is important and if I am going to blank me @rse off at least I've done it with a quality bait:p:cool:

terry m

Reaction score
Another vote for reds. I generally ask for mixed and loose feed a variety but stick with reds on the hook.

It works for me.:)

daji

Reaction score
Red's and white seem to work well for me. Blue maggot's though :eek:mg: A funny thing to say but blue maggots look odd and the least appetising and as such I still haven't given them a fair go :rolleyes:

jake182

Reaction score
For me reds have out fished any other colour, not just the number of fish but the size to, the fish I catch on reds are considerably bigger fish, which is alway a Brucie

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Nowadays its pretty much reds only for me - but i remember fondly the vivid orange/bronze maggots with the Chrysodine R dye (before it was found to be carcinogenic). I also used to use yellows a lot around that time and after bronze was banned - especially in turbid waters. Reds were mainly for Perch in those days - late 1980s say. These days though it seems its Reds or bust. Whites were never favoured by me or my mates.

B

binka

Nowadays its pretty much reds only for me - but i remember fondly the vivid orange/bronze maggots with the Chrysodine R dye (before it was found to be carcinogenic).

Quite a shock back at the time especially as it was at the height of the stick float era in these parts and gallons upon gallons of Chrysodine maggots were heading out of tackle shops each week, IIRC it came to light after the late Shakespeare sponsored angler and matchman Clive Smith died of bladder cancer.

robertroach

Reaction score
On the basis that red and black are favourite colours for different types of fishing - e.g. flies for trout , artificial sandeels for bass and pollock I was wondering whether maggots died black would be a good idea.
Anyone tried black maggots?