worms are free

caelan

Reaction score
getting the garden looking good digging it over the amount of worms in
the earth never seen this many before I will start using them as soon as I get a
chance

The bad one

Reaction score
Think you might be a little busier than you think you would be “digging the garden over to make it look good” Ooh all those lovely weed seeds you’ve now liberated from the seedbank to germinate on nice clean soil. :(

daji

Reaction score
Go careful there. Worms, like Swans, are all owned and protected by the Queen. :D

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm always torn when it comes to taking worms from the garden. They are, after all, responsible for much of the soil's fertility (the worm's excretions are seven times richer in plant foods than the organic debris they ingest). In addition, their vigorous tunneling provides channels for drainage and aeration, far deeper than a gardener will ever dig. Much better to find a field where they can be reliably harvested on damp nights. Stored carefully in a cool place and fed on vegetable scraps, these can last for several weeks.

The supply of redworms and brandlings from the manure pile, however, seems to be inexhaustible, so I don't mind taking those, although they're less useful, perhaps, because of their smaller size and more fragile nature. Roach and bream seem to find redworms almost irresistible at times and boy, do they wriggle!

wes79

Reaction score
I agree,tigers and reds, always found in maturing manure heaps by the trillion.:D

A womery might be less effort (keep in doors also because its odorless) but might also produce less worms than the heap, if you using loads all the time that is.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm always torn when it comes to taking worms from the garden. They are, after all, responsible for much of the soil's fertility (the worm's excretions are seven times richer in plant foods than the organic debris they ingest). In addition, their vigorous tunneling provides channels for drainage and aeration, far deeper than a gardener will ever dig. Much better to find a field where they can be reliably harvested on damp nights. Stored carefully in a cool place and fed on vegetable scraps, these can last for several weeks.

The supply of redworms and brandlings from the manure pile, however, seems to be inexhaustible, so I don't mind taking those, although they're less useful, perhaps, because of their smaller size and more fragile nature. Roach and bream seem to find redworms almost irresistible at times and boy, do they wriggle!

Whenever we go and collect a trailer load of donkey droppings for the garden I harvest as many of the worms as I can. This always creates arguments from Little Wife and her friend who would rather see them distributed in the garden along with the droppings for the reasons you stated. But I insist that if I take a good quantity into my 'worm sanctuary' away from murdering robins, blackbirds and moles the species will survive and not become extinct. ;)

B

binka

I wish... Around £12 a kilo around here!

Seriously though I do a lot of shop bought worm fishing and always ease my conscience from over zealous use of the chop scissors with a ritual releasing of a handful of worms, usually in the garden along with releasing any leftovers that I bring home and it's teeming with 'em for whenever I want a convenient supply at short notice.

I wish the bvggers wouldn't keep leaving casts all over the lawn though.

nicepix

Reaction score
If you find yourself in need of a worm at short notice. And we all do at some time. Find some fresh molehills in moist ground and probe around them using a garden fork or thin rod rest / bank stick. As you put the tines or rod rest into the ground worms will shoot up out of the soil and wriggle along the surface away from the disturbance.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whenever we go and collect a trailer load of donkey droppings for the garden

Is there a subliminal advertising message in that post? I'm finding myself with an overwhelming desire for a trailer full of donkey droppings and I don't even have a garden to spread it on.

nicepix

Reaction score
Is there a subliminal advertising message in that post? I'm finding myself with an overwhelming desire for a trailer full of donkey droppings and I don't even have a garden to spread it on.

No problem Ade. Satisfy your urges and drop the load of here. Little Wife will be thrilled as we are without a suitable trailer at the moment. :)