Do you believe in the hard graft water.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Some of those legendary hard graft/heartbreak labels can be attributed to low densities of fish no doubt. Others as a result of sections of bank being out of bounds, ''bird sanctuaries etc'', as well as numerous other reasons.

But have you ever actually fished a water for more than an occasional visit before coming to the conclusion,''this is hard graft'' for any of the resident species, your bogie water.

I have known three such waters, but did eventually after much persistence come to terms with them.

How about you?

Lark

Reaction score
I've had a few of these venues over the years. Managed to crack some of them successfully. A couple of them still frustrate the hell out of me, one in particular, that ensures that I'm going to keep going back.

The upside to these particular venues is that invariably they are pretty much deserted.
One of them is a 35 acre gravel pit, the other is a relief channel. I've had nice fish from both but feel it's all a bit hit and miss and that I'm not really fishing on my terms and getting the best from my efforts, planning, homework and experience.

I will be giving considerable time and effort (relatively speaking) to the relief channel again next season with yet more tweaks to my approach.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I fished Burghfield lake (97 acres) with my son and a friend quite often during the 90's and some of the 00's mainly for the tench although also landed some large carp (not quite the size of the 'Burghfield Common' that young Terry landed but he did spend many months over two years trying to locate it's movements). It was most rewarding once you got your head round it, thankfully many didn't put the effort in so hardly saw another angler apart from the same half dozon or so. Have also dabbled with many of the Colne Valley 'big pits' over the years - some more rewarding than others. Also Billing Aquadrome could be very frustrating during the 60's for various reasons and, or course very rewarding when a plan came together. I do prefer to spend most of my time on the rivers though....

PS Also Savay in the late 50's when it was two pits - as it had recently been stocked there were no bl00dy fish of any note then......:D

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have to confess Jerry, Billing was in the back of my mind, not that I ever fished the place, but it was the subject of much debate back in the sixties amongst us young speci types. Almost an urban legend that the fish were uncatchable, and so it remained.

It wasn't until some years later while pike fishing at Sywell with Bob, he revealed that the real problem was that there were not many large carp in there, and at the time he had privileged access. That certainly explains a lot.

john step

Reaction score
A large gravel pit in the Colne Valley in the 70's.
Bag up with tench one day then not see another for weeks.

nicepix

Reaction score
The River Dearne is such a water. There is a small head of barbel, but a high percentage of those are over ten pounds. They don't respond well to conventional methods and the nature of the water makes it very hard especially for those like myself who do not night fish. That is what made it so special for me.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I have to confess Jerry, Billing was in the back of my mind, not that I ever fished the place, but it was the subject of much debate back in the sixties amongst us young speci types. Almost an urban legend that the fish were uncatchable, and so it remained.

It wasn't until some years later while pike fishing at Sywell with Bob, he revealed that the real problem was that there were not many large carp in there, and at the time he had privileged access. That certainly explains a lot.

Derek, I believe that Billing was stocked in the same year as Redmire and, as you suggest, there probably weren't that many fish there. However, it was a typical gin clear water with plenty of weed that made it very challenging (especially with the gear we had then) during daylight hours - of course you had the train around the perimeter, all the fun of the fair and people swimming in the allocated areas. As I'm sure you know, Bob took most of his big fish in the late 50's at night before night tickets were introduced to everyone in the early 60's. There was a 40lb'er taken by a n other during daylight hours in the late 60's - I could tell you a tale or two about that fish............:)

PS I might have had quite a few blanks there in the 60's but I also landed my first 20.................

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I did 50 nights and 100 days on a water in the Lea Valley, 7 takes, two carp, 1 Bream and a Tench.

Most of those nights were in the winter !!

Would do it again if I was well enough and the water is just as tough, 4 clubs and a sailing club have banks on the water.

Billing !!

I think I know were some of those Fish ended up ?

Bob

barbelboi

Reaction score
I did 50 nights and 100 days on a water in the Lea Valley, 7 takes, two carp, 1 Bream and a Tench.

Most of those nights were in the winter !!

Would do it again if I was well enough and the water is just as tough, 4 clubs and a sailing club have banks on the water.

Billing !!

I think I know were some of those Fish ended up ?

Bob

In a sack on the 'I speak your weight' machine in the bogs Bob................

flightliner

Reaction score
A certain lincs drain for pike, had plenty of big pike from all manner of locations but that drain does my head in. Lovely place with "pike history" but never a fish over 15lbs from it tho I've seen and weighed a fair few for others.:eek:mg:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A certain lincs drain for pike, had plenty of big pike from all manner of locations but that drain does my head in. Lovely place with "pike history" but never a fish over 15lbs from it tho I've seen and weighed a fair few for others.:eek:mg:

I think I know the very drain flight, and it did indeed produce some mighty fish, I was one of the lucky ones and had several good fish up to the upper twenties. And as you say it had a history of big pike, sadly now but a shadow of its former self. As indeed are the two other side drains that were once premier pike waters, but certainly back in the day they were a mecca for pike anglers.

B

binka

Very definitely one certain gravel pit in my case Derek.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your remark in your opening post about coming to terms with these sorts of waters, in my case it was changing species to what else might be available and getting some pleasing results after the lows of the blanks after you keep on returning when you know you could have caught elsewhere.

The satisfaction of the challenge always makes up for it though :)

flightliner

Reaction score
I think I know the very drain flight, and it did indeed produce some mighty fish, I was one of the lucky ones and had several good fish up to the upper twenties. And as you say it had a history of big pike, sadly now but a shadow of its former self. As indeed are the two other side drains that were once premier pike waters, but certainly back in the day they were a mecca for pike anglers.

Derek, I first fished that drain in the mid fifties as a lad with mi' dad.
A long walk from the "kings arms" on the Witham where my dad had pitched our tent for the week .
A magical place to a young un, lots of "bits" on the "moakes" (maggots to you lot-- lol) and a nights sleep that long summer night with visions of what might be on later visits.
Years later on the "stackyards " with a mutual friend the visit did a low twenty and to me it was as simple as that, my next visit would be my day but it never was to be, tho I did win a match on it a few years earlier but thats another tale.
Others did the deed but not me.
A reciprical visit to another drain near Boston by way of variety gave me the twenty I was after at the time but despite loads of visits and effort on my intentioned water/drain a "big" snapper never came my way.
Sad for me but as things go in angling its a challange that hopefully will be realised before I have to shut the book on it.
That said, perhaps the challenge is better than the result.
A bit like the destination being secondary to the journey.

peterjg

Reaction score
Sometimes it's more rewarding to fish hard waters. I started to fish a hard 50 acre Colne Valley pit in 2000. I promised myself that I would catch a 40lb carp from this pit - eventually, after lots of blanks - I managed to catch a 44lb 12oz mirror in 2006, it took me 247 nights to do it. Later I caught another which weighed 43lb 15oz from the same pit.

Also it's not just about fishing low stocked waters it is about the actual feel you have for a water and the species being targeted.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think it can become the challenge with a good bit of stubbornness thrown in. You get to feel you are not going to be defeated by a water. I have been like that with a few waters. I know I am likely to blank and yet I still fish them, I become convinced there are good fish in there and I will unlock the key one day or just get lucky ! I kind of enjoy it really, I suppose it just feels more rewarding when you hit something good after putting in a lot of work and hours. You can pat your own back and just say to yourself, "I new I was right".

nicepix

Reaction score
I think it can become the challenge with a good bit of stubbornness thrown in. You get to feel you are not going to be defeated by a water. I have been like that with a few waters. I know I am likely to blank and yet I still fish them, I become convinced there are good fish in there and I will unlock the key one day or just get lucky ! I kind of enjoy it really, I suppose it just feels more rewarding when you hit something good after putting in a lot of work and hours. You can pat your own back and just say to yourself, "I new I was right".

Agreed. I have spent hours and hours in one swim or another just waiting to be proved right. Sometimes I was :D

The thing that is attractive to myself is being able to do the research, reconnoitring, observation, plumbing and all that goes before actually getting a worthy fish on the bank. It can become an obsession.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Agreed. I have spent hours and hours in one swim or another just waiting to be proved right. Sometimes I was :D

The thing that is attractive to myself is being able to do the research, reconnoitring, observation, plumbing and all that goes before actually getting a worthy fish on the bank. It can become an obsession.

But sometimes a very rewarding obsession Clive.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My syndicate water is a gravel pit approaching thirty acres with depths to around thirty feet. That in itself was a challenge for someone unfamiliar with such waters. In the beginning it was way outside my comfort zone. Add a relatively low stocking density and it can often be a recipe for frustration. Every fish landed is satisfying, even when they weren't, or aren't the biggest. The place has seen off a few anglers that seemed more than merely competent, which makes getting amongst a few, when others struggle, very satisfying. The fact that it's a nice place to be, and has yielded a couple of personal bests for me, adds to the allure. That it's only a couple of miles from home is just the cherry on top. I very much doubt that I'd be keen on fishing even harder waters unless the potential rewards were significantly greater. For me to want to travel any great distance I'd want a much better chance of greater rewards.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
The water I was referring to, is 110 acres in size, it had about 30 Carp in it and it was not about size of the fish, the reward was in the pursuit of any carp regardless of size.

And I believe that's the true challenge of fishing difficult low stock waters !!

One fish from a water like that is the reward, if it's size you are after fish a known water with the size fish you require !!

Bob

terry m

Reaction score
It really boils down to what greases your gears, and of course how much time you have available.

Personally I don't mind hard waters, but some of the super hard waters near me are beyond my stamina. One 60+ acre pit near me where nobody got a run from late August through mid March was too much.

I admire people with the resolve to spend weeks on end waiting for a solitary bite, but not for me.