Reel confusion????

chris k

Reaction score
I'm just taking up Carp fishing, but to be honest I'm a little confused as to what size reel in the Shimano range would be best suited to "all round " general Carp fishing, would it be a 6000,8000 or 10000? Thanks in advance.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Depends on where you are fishing, how much line do you want on your reel. I would have thought the 6000 would be ample for general carp fishing

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the venues concerned and distances you intend to fish at. Be very wary about the nominal values given. A 10000 sized normal Baitrunner is significantly smaller than a 10000 sized pit reel, though the line capacities may be comparable.

A good compromise within the Shimano ranges are the 5500 mini-big pit reels. They don't look too ridiculous on small water set ups yet are capable of decent distance casts on big waters. They will probably seem huge when you first see or use them, but they do seem to shrink with extended use. Then you start finding that the smaller sub 3000 sized general coarse reels feel like ridiculous toys.;):D

iain t

Reaction score
I use RA1000DL bait runner on my 12ft and a 500 bait runner on my 10Ft. I got these sizes because they balanced my rods well. But it all depends how far you need to cast on the water you intend to fish. The 500 does me for small ponds and rivers

law

Reaction score
You need to spec them to the rods you have and also the waters you want to fish.
By carp fishing, do you mean pastie bashing for single figure stuff, or proper carp fishing for the bigguns?

john step

Reaction score

law

Reaction score
The spools look pretty narrow on them. Camt imagine them being the best for casting.