Making My Own PVA BAGS

GertR

Reaction score
Morning.

Does anybody know how to make your own PVA Bags.

Spoke to someone last week that said they would show me. ?????

Just wondering if any of you guys know ???

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
pour pva glue onto a sheet of cling film and spread it as thin as you can. When its dry peel it from the cling film and seal the edges. Its a bit fiddly but it should work.

njb51

Reaction score
Please tell me you are joking, Trev! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

NIGE K

Reaction score
isnt pva glue different to what the bags are made from.

KAR

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>NIGE K wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>isnt pva glue different to what the bags are made from.</blockquote>
As far as I knowthe glue is Poly Vinyl Acetate where as the bags are Poly Vinyl Alcohol

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Also if you do try PVA glue on cling film - don't scratch your balls till you've washed your hands - NURSE

Lord Paul

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gifNot till you've seen her will anyway

GertR

Reaction score
Glue in water doesn't sound to me very clever at all.

Will go and see this bloke and let you guys now what he says.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Again we have confusion where two different polymers are given the same shortform. Years ago I was taken to task by a polymer chemist at the company I was working for regarding my incorrect use of PVA for the water soluble polyvinyl alcohol.

In the industry, PVA means polyvinyl acetate, a polymer used in paints and coatings. It isNOT the water soluble plastic we anglers are familiar with. The shortform for that - polyvinyl alcohol - is PVOH.

PVOH is completelybenign by the way. I am not so sure about PVA.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Gert dont be trying out my home made pva bags, I was joking. I wouldnt want you sticking fish together or poisoning the water.

F

Fred Bonney

I seem to remember you can buy sheets/bags of the stuff(PVOH),but I'll have to have a look.

Something to do with industrial washing bags comes to mind,perhaps hotels/hospitals?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It is possible to get rolls of the PVOH used to make 'PVA' bags, string and mesh. I think Guy and Rob (of the barbel videos fame) have talked about using sheets of it to wrap up large quantities of groundbait and pellets with rocks for weight then using it to bait swims.

They did not however say where they got it from.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Again we have confusion where two different polymers are given the same shortform. Years ago I was taken to task by a polymer chemist at the company I was working for regarding my incorrect use of PVA for the water soluble polyvinyl alcohol.

In the industry, PVA means polyvinyl acetate, a polymer used in paints and coatings. It isNOT the water soluble plastic we anglers are familiar with. The shortform for that - polyvinyl alcohol - is PVOH.

PVOH is completelybenign by the way. I am not so sure about PVA.</blockquote>

Not entirely correct, both can be refered to as PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate can be PVAc) and there is a recipe where PVA sheets can be disolved in a little water, mixed with some watercolour paint and made into a makeshift acrylic paint. Then again you can also use PVA glue for the same effect and many artists use PVA glue on and in their paintings.

This has got me thinking though (a bad sign). It's always said that PVA disolves completely in water and yet it doesn't go away completely, it can't just disappear. There is a small residue remaining suspended in the water and although non-toxic (supposedly) it must accumulate somewhere.

For example, the sea is salty because the rivers pick up salt from the land and the clouds form by evaporation from the sea which leaves the salt behind. It's not much, admittedly, but after 2½ billion years (letting the earth cool and seas to form) it's enough to now make the sea salty.

We're just at the tip of using PVA, but if anglers keep on using it, might the sea turn into a synthetic polymer mush in two billion years from now?

Just a thought. Any answers?

/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
id be more worried about the amount of raw sewage we pump into the sea. Just think 2 hundred years from now the sea would be a big puddle of s%*t