Vans for longer sessions

ben10

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this so put it in general fishing.

Looking into a van for fishing.... Too much gear now to fit in my hatchback as opposed to when I was a kid when you could carry all your gear for miles without an issue!

Probably going to be a caddy as it's cheaper than a transporter or equivalent and also is about big enough for what I need.

Looking into building a stow away bed inside, my mates done it to his and actually works a treat! Has anyone else done this? And is it worth it in the sense that are there enough lakes etc. That will accommodate a van at the swim? I know it's not the norm but having the bed in the van will be handy outside of fishing anyway but thought it may be of use on the bank, especially if I insulate for the colder months!

Any thoughts guys/anyone do or has done this?

Thanks!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got a Mitsubishi Delica which is a 4x4 Shogun with a people carrier body.

All the seats fold up to give a huge load space or they can be lowered to form a bed. I have seen them with a full VW camper type interior and thought of going down that route myself but I use mine as a builders van for general transport of large goods, carrying a wet dog and anything else I don't want to use my BMW for so kitting it out as a permanent fishing van would not be practical.

It has selectable 4 wheel drive with diff lock and low range and would climb the side of a house, I bought it after getting cut off by the floods of 2007 when I had to risk all and drive through 2 foot of water in a Renault Megan to escape a rapidly flooding field. It was terrifying and I vowed never to put myself in that position again so I bought, 'the beast' as it is known, and if I had a mind to I could now drive through 4 foot of water.

The driving position is best described as commanding and you are looking down on the roof of all but the larger vans and hgv's, once you have had this view of the road you will find it hard to go back to a normal car. If it's a choice of the Deli or the Beemer I always jump in the Deli.

The only downside is the fuel consumption which is in the high twenties to low thirties but tbh that is a small price to pay for such a versatile vehicle.

Teabreak

Reaction score
There's lots of videos on YouTube about this. This is a really simple one. It's cheap and cheerful so might not be up to what you want. Sofa bed. Also I like the way he built in the camping stove. A few other ideas in there as well. I've got a renault kangoo so a bed wouldn't fit, but it's ideal for me. Leave my gear in it all the time. Don't worry I've only got one rod and reel so getting me gear nicked isn't a problem, apart from inconvenience. More chance of it going from the shed. Anyway I might have a go at installing a cooker. Ideally I'd like a side door, awning and park right next to the swim, bit of carpet, cold beers, comfy chair, sunshine, and a dip on the float every so often.

http://youtu.be/4XgoVP1ktY0

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Why not just buy a camper van, if you are not transporting bivvies etc you would easily toss your rod bag, tackle bag and a bait bag in one. Once you start fitting a bed and stove etc in it, you've pretty much took away it's use for anything else.

ben10

Reaction score
I wouldn't be putting a stove etc. In it as it will still occasionally be used for work purposes. The bed my mate has fitted he built himself and it folds down from either side. I'd love a camper Van but don't have the funds for a nice one and would be impractical for any work etc. A blow up mattress would work but may still insulate the inside.

Anyone know of many fisheries in the Surrey area that allow vans/cars at the swim? That's the biggest issue I guess as if I can't Park there then I may as well bivvy up!

greenie62

Reaction score
.... A blow up mattress would work but may still insulate the inside...

My little brother travels & sleeps in his work van and uses an air-mattress with a 'memory-foam' mattress topper - they deflate/roll away to very compact bundles and are 'cheap as chips' - gives the optimum combination of warmth and comfort.
Tight Lines!

ben10

Reaction score
My little brother travels & sleeps in his work van and uses an air-mattress with a 'memory-foam' mattress topper - they deflate/roll away to very compact bundles and are 'cheap as chips' - gives the optimum combination of warmth and comfort.
Tight Lines!

Blow up mattress is looking like an option, thanks for the help!

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I've a vauxhall combo kitted out.
Rather than put in a permanent bed which limits the vans use I can get my bedchair down the drivers side, all I do is fold the feet end back over when travelling, this then leaves the side door for access.
At the back next to this goes my cooker and with plastic stow boxes under the bed this leaves space to enter and exit the van.
My son boarded the van out and also covered the whole lot in including floor in material from a coach builders to aid with stopping condensation.
I fixed a curtain pole across the front with blackout curtain in situ.
On the rear doors and side walls I got some mesh pockets from IKEA and fixed them in lines to accept small items like mugs, cutlery, torches, coffee, tea bags etc.
Went to Maplins and purchased 2 solar lights in the sale for £24, one sited in the inside rear and I put the panel on the roof once parked up, the other is inside above the side door and the panel is sited on my sun visor passenger side so stays charged at all times.

Rods go down the passenger side on top of my rucksack and away I go.

Just bought an ex army Basha to go over the van so it creates a porch on the sliding door side.

I used to kip on an air bed in an estate car but after puncturing lots of air beds by putting my rods on top for transport this is much better and the extra height within the van helps with getting in and out of the sleeping bag.

nicepix

Reaction score
I would look at the Japanese import recreational vehicles such as the one Titus has and also the Mitsubishi RVR and similar. Some of them are semi-equipped for what is needed including fold down seats for beds, small basins and cookers.

My friend has a Mitsubishi RVR out in Cyprus and it is brilliant. Sliding side door, rear seats that make a double bed and is based on an EVO engine / running gear so goes like sand off a shovel.

B

binka

A mate and I were discussing the ideal fishing vehicle the other day and after many different ideas we settled on a 4x4 Hearse complete with roof rack and an awning!

And if you did have to sleep in it you could double deck with that space that has the flip down lid underneath the coffin area.

Perfect.

But not very helpful if you want a van... :eek:mg:

Sorry :)

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

I reckon that's a faulty one, it's got a hole in it :eek: ;) :D