Stratford avon canal birmingham.

freeman0121

Reaction score
Hi all, i have the stratford avon canal behind my house i literally jump the fence and its there,i live in yardley wood birmingham and just wondering if anyone has any info on the canal there, ive been prebaiting behind my house for a few weeks ive had a few decent roach but do you think theres any carp? a bloke told me a few years ago there was a few in there but ive never seen anythink come out and it is rarely fished, im gonna night fish it and see what happens, also if i cant manage a carp do you think id have chance of getting a nice pike? dead baiting would also be an option. Thanks for reading ill post a few pics below of the swim directly behind my house. Tight lines folks!

B

binka

You lucky git! ;) :D

Carp and pike are present in most if not all canal systems especially as they are mostly interconnected.

If you persevere long enough with the pre-baiting I reckon there's a good chance a carp or two might take up residence nearby otherwise there might be a natural holding spot nearby... Maybe pre-bait with something specifically aimed at carp which the other species might pass up?

I would forget deadbaiting for pike during the next few months until the weather gets colder toward the middle of autumn as a pike will engulf a bait on the spot in spilt seconds once its metabolism speeds up with the warmer summer temperatures we will soon be getting.

Good luck with it, it looks cracking! :thumbs:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I don't know your canal but by your pictures it seems featureless on the opposite bank. By features I mean overhanging bushes or trees. I'd try a small lead or tiny feeder up the far shelf as close to the far bank as poss. Deliver loosefeed by catty. May also be worth trying a line down the track in the deepest bit.
Don't ignore your margins in the evenings as carp and other bigger fish could be right under your feet..........

freeman0121

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys lads, will feed boilies and big pellets try and keep the smaller fish away, gonna use my pole to drop my rigs right on the far bank aswell, ill let you know how it goes :)

carpo_marx

Reaction score
Hi Freeman, I have been fishing around there for 60 years and it has always been a predominately roach stretch with a few perch thrown in. It was stocked with a few small carp (1lb) many years ago at the maypole lane access. These spread as far as i know to Alcester Lanes end one way and the furthest that i know of to the drawbridge the other way. I've had 2 from behind the yardley wood road bus garage, 1 from about the 4th peg the otherside of the same bridge and 1 from the drawbridge section. These 4 fish were not targeted but caught whilst fishing for roach or chub on caster, as i said not too many were put in and they are probably very thinly spread. Re pike, i'd never seen or heard caught of any in the area in them 60 yrs. I would have thought that i'd have had a roach snaffled on the way in of the thousands i must have caught over the years if they had been there. BUT because of the rivers usually being out of sorts in the past few winters, i decided to take up drop shotting on the canals from last october for this winter and low and behold caught 2 jacks on the same day about half an hour apart in november. These were from the drawbridge section however but nevertheless proved to me that they are about. Again obviously i was not targeting them but was after perch and chub. Personally if i was you i would bait fairly regularly over a few weeks at night with a few casters and bit of sweetcorn mixed in and fish the caster for roach early morning (before boats) and see what happens, you can try a piece of corn every so often. You may get the chub to settle as well as i find they are never in the same place 2 years running.