Repairing cork handle

bracket

Reaction score
In the past, I have effected a repair by using a surform tool on an odd bit of cork, to create a "cork crumb", then mixing it with araldite to form a cork filler. Fill the crack with it and rub down with sandpaper when cured. Worked OK for me. Pete.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used a similar method as bracket's post above, and it has lasted for years.

I filed down spare corks to almost a powder and mixed it with an adhesive so it was liek a thick paste. If the split is deep (or in my case where the mice had eaten part of the cork) you build it up in layers, only sanding down the final layer to a smooth finish.

Good luck

PS: if it is really very bad then maybe a complete strip down and make an entire new handle from new corls . . . . . . . . . .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I just use a bit of appropriately coloured wood filler.I picked up a fly rod 2nd hand at the weekend that had a handle needing a bit of work. Filled the splits/holes with a bit of wf rubbed it down with fine sandpaper and the job's a good un. Easy as.

robtherake

Reaction score
Only problem with the cork dust/glue route is that the resultant repair is generally a little darker than the surrounding cork. Otherwise, it works a treat. The same technique will fix most of those old floats with body damage - the ones that you can't bear to part with. :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
forget the super glue or araldite and use simple pva or wood glue, exterior if you must, mixed with a little cork dust obtained by sandpapering an old wine or champagne cork (plenty of those in sunny Telford).
The results after sanding will be an invisible repair which will be stronger than the original handle.

hyperdrive

Reaction score
I'm sure araldite will work well but never tried it. I agree with the PVA, Used it a few times in the past