20ft monster eel

B

binka

I saw this on the BBC news this morning, an amazing eel.

I think that area is quite renowned for them, I've also heard there are some true monsters lurking in the depths of Falmouth harbour which is one of the deepest natural harbours in the world.

Now that would be some night session :)

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
That is what i thought - What was the point killing it for just 40 quid?

It was already dead in the net Jamie according to the Deck Hand. I would like to believe that had it been alive it may have been returned. Sadly that was not the case, but a magnificent beast none the less. At least it lays to rest much speculation over the years as to whether, Conger's could potentially exceed 20 feet in length.

chrissh

Reaction score
SKY NEWS Last Updated 15/05/2015 11:21:53

A conger eel said to be up to 21ft in length when it was caught off the coast of Devon was actually only about 6-7ft, officials at the port where it was sold have said.

The fish weighing 72.5kg (160lb) was hauled aboard the inshore trawler Hope by fishermen from Plymouth who tweeted pictures of their catch.

According to Plymouth Fisheries the eel is thought to be around 6-7ft (2m) long, though the fisherman who hauled it onboard said it could have been a few feet longer.

A spokeswoman for Plymouth Fisheries said: "Sadly it was never measured before it went to auction but the fisherman who caught it estimated it was 'about 10 feet in length'.

"Possibly the perspective of the hanging photograph does make it look longer - it looks shorter in other photos and eels stretch out when hung."

Pete Bromley, Manager of Plymouth Fisheries, said: "This conger eel is a very large fish, maybe 6-7 feet long, and an unusual catch for a trawler, with the current rod-caught record standing at 133lb, 4oz.

"Conger move to very deep water and die after spawning, so like all large congers caught off the South West approaches, this fish is likely to be an unspawned female.