Tackling the unknown!!

pratty117

Reaction score
Morning All
First apologies for the vagueness of this post but I am after a bit of advice.
Planning to fish a new water for the first time tomorrow. Have had a brief walk round and there are some interesting features such as reeds and two islands. Depths are unknown and when I visited there was nobody to ask and the shop was closed. Of course first port of call is to ask when I arrive tomorrow, but other than that I am going in a bit blind! Initially I would target the edge of the islands but also look at the margins and reeds for a spot of float fishing. I'm just after general tips on methods and baits you might use when trying a new water for the first time.
Cheers
Adam

john step

Reaction score
Depends what your after. I don't fish much for carp but there are those that do who know.
If the fish are not showing use your instincts. For instance, yesterday where I live the East wind was like winter. The fish fed along the sheltered side OK.
I wouldn't have liked to be facing that bitter wind and I doubt the fish would.
If it were a warm South Westerly I would probably have fished facing it.
The fish and I both like to be comfortable.

Link the above with a feature that you mention by a drop off and there fish will be there sometime during the day. I find a bed of hemp with a few hard pellets is good for bringing and holding them in the swim. Don't feed too much. You want them to eat your bait. A flavoured groundbait with little food value is also a good initial attractor to get them milling about over the loose feed.

Tight lines.

pratty117

Reaction score
Cheers John
Have plenty of pellets and was going to take some sweetcorn along with the trusty maggots and a few worms. First up was going to try a couple of feeders tight to the islands maggot and groundbait. Will assess the float conditions when I get there. One particular swim seemed a dream, access to the right of an island, open water and had reeds to the right and a decent looking margin to the left which I can drop feed into during the day. Beauty now is light till 8.30!! So it gives a decent amount of time!! Weather is set fair with temps to 14c and a slight breeze. Fingers crossed!

john step

Reaction score
Cheers John
Have plenty of pellets and was going to take some sweetcorn along with the trusty maggots and a few worms. First up was going to try a couple of feeders tight to the islands maggot and groundbait. Will assess the float conditions when I get there. One particular swim seemed a dream, access to the right of an island, open water and had reeds to the right and a decent looking margin to the left which I can drop feed into during the day. Beauty now is light till 8.30!! So it gives a decent amount of time!! Weather is set fair with temps to 14c and a slight breeze. Fingers crossed!

I would take an alternative to maggots should you find this new water to be stacked out with small roach or rudd! It would drive you nuts.
I would have a tub of 8 or 10 mm mini boiles constantly in my bag as a precaution.

pratty117

Reaction score
I have some boilies and also some larger pellets. To be honest i'm happy to catch pretty much anything. Its the challenge of a new water that will make it interesting.

pratty117

Reaction score
Update:
This new water was quite a struggle from start to finish. Being quite open I was hampered massively by a strong crosswind making the float virtually impossible. Conditions were also so bright. I tried maggot feeders to one of the islands and in open water with very little success. Managed some small perch and roach. When the wind did die down i battled with the float and tangles to bank a few small tench and roach. However you learn something each and every time you are on the bank. I plumbed correctly for the first time and also made a list of tackle I need to update. I class myself still very much a work in progress on techniques and water craft but being away from work and having the chance to relax was the biggest positive. Will certainly go back for another go! :)
Tight Lines
Adam

rubio

Reaction score
Had trouble presenting a steady bait in a crosswind myself recently. How did you rectify the issue?

pratty117

Reaction score
To be honest it was a nightmare. Casting the feeders I allowed for the wind but on numerous occasions trying to hit the clip was near impossible. The float I sunk the line the best I could and this seemed to work to a certain extent. In hindsight I should've moved to have the wind behind me. The worst thing I found with the cross wind was the line between the reel and first eye of rod catching the wind constantly and creating a huge loop and no end of tangles. Lesson learnt I guess! Did you encounter the same problems?