Tackle shop or online

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Generally go to a tackle shop on a weekly basis, a lot of larger (and less frequent) purchases are "on-line" specials. Totalled up, the spend is probably greater in the shop over a twelve month period.

chrissh

Reaction score
Here in Lincoln most of the tackle shop are based around carp or don't have what I want or not in stock so I do 70% on line

last week I had to drive to the next town to buy some 30g feeders then could only get 2 so went online to get what I wanted

Keith M

Reaction score
Generally go to a tackle shop on a weekly basis, a lot of larger (and less frequent) purchases are "on-line" specials. Totalled up, the spend is probably greater in the shop over a twelve month period.

Same as above, if my local tackleshop doesn't sell what I want then I buy online, and if he does then he usually matches the online price anyway (if I ask nicely LOL).

Keith

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
It's a shame not many tackle shops are around these days, My local is 35min train journey. Which is only couple stops from where i work so not so bad.

It is nice to actually be able to look at stuff before you buy!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tackle shop for me every time!

I have about a 30 mile round trip to the best one locally, Reid's at Witherington Farm Lakes.

Best shop for miles around, always a great welcome from Dave or his wife Christine, and anything they don't have they order and it is there in a week.

I work on the principle, 'use it or lose it' just like the post office in my village!

flightliner

Reaction score
Here in Lincoln most of the tackle shop are based around carp or don't have what I want or not in stock so I do 70% on line

last week I had to drive to the next town to buy some 30g feeders then could only get 2 so went online to get what I wanted
Chrissh, just an aside, I was near Lincoln a little time ago and a guy told me that Castaway tackle had changed hands, is it true??.

seth49

Reaction score
Tackle shop for me,twenty minutes drive away.but I prefer to use it.
To many closed round here as it is.

john step

Reaction score
Chrissh, just an aside, I was near Lincoln a little time ago and a guy told me that Castaway tackle had changed hands, is it true??.

I notice they now have an ON LINE shop called Fantastic Tackle or something very similar.
They have needed to do something as they were very run down and very little stock for such a large premises.

The trouble is that after a 40 mile return trip to find only the hook sizes either side of what you want are available for instance and the shelves that once were laden with various boilies almost empty and the once prolific area with bags, chairs and holdalls empty(etc etc) you feel your trip was wasted and you don't go back.
You then find exactly what you want on line and hey presto another shop bites the dust.

I feel that the price of fuel has an effect as well as the internet convenience.

Keith M

Reaction score
2 tackle shops in Ringwood, about 15 minutes from me, so use them for most things.

As PJ says, use it or lose it.

Both shops virtually next to each other next to the river, I use both of them whenever I'm in the area.

Keith

john step

Reaction score

Try Harrisons of Lincoln who are not carp obsessed

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Tackle shop for bits and pieces and bait... However, if buying expensive rods/reels then online for best prices (usually ) and what I want, rather than what the tackle shop wants to sell me !
Unfortunately, I don't feel the tackle shop wants to form any sort of relationship that might encourage me to see past the higher prices and I find myself trying to make conversation even when the shop is empty....

Recently I asked if the shop had a certain item and the only answer I got was " what's on the shelves, mate "......

I go in once a week and never spend less than £20 so I wish I had an alternative shop to frequent...

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Tackle shop for bits and pieces and bait... However, if buying expensive rods/reels then online for best prices (usually )

This for me too, although I have bought the odd rod and reel from the shop when they matched the online price

---------- Post added at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was at 00:11 ----------

Tackle shop for bits and pieces and bait... However, if buying expensive rods/reels then online for best prices (usually )

This for me too, although I have bought the odd rod and reel from the shop when they matched the online price

john step

Reaction score
Tackle shop for bits and pieces and bait... However, if buying expensive rods/reels then online for best prices (usually ) and what I want, rather than what the tackle shop wants to sell me !
Unfortunately, I don't feel the tackle shop wants to form any sort of relationship that might encourage me to see past the higher prices and I find myself trying to make conversation even when the shop is empty....

Recently I asked if the shop had a certain item and the only answer I got was " what's on the shelves, mate "......

I go in once a week and never spend less than £20 so I wish I had an alternative shop to frequent...

"Whats on the shelf mate". I have had this sort of reaction from various tackle shops over the years. It is invariably male assistants who may be competent anglers to get the job but feel that a shop assistant job is really beneath their dignity."

I once wanted a 3 piece carp rod to hide in the boot. I got a sneer and a "Don't like those mate, not the same action. Might be one one the rack"

There is a very large tackle shop in Scunthorpe where this is prevalent. In the past when there was a female assistant in attendance the difference was obvious.
Unfortunately the very friendly small shop in Louth has closed so the internet is used more and more.

chrissh

Reaction score
Try Harrisons of Lincoln who are not carp obsessed

hi John
have you been into Harrisons lately the last time i went in the shop had nothing in it just some bait the odd pack of hooks and the display shelf in the middle of the shop was full of bait boxes over 200+ & tackle catalogs .it's gone to mail order shop

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
2 tackle shops in Ringwood, about 15 minutes from me, so use them for most things.

AvonAngling is one of those shops and both Andy and Martine are very accomplished anglers and always ready to offer advice/locations if asked.

Now, tell me, where do you get that on an Internet "shop"?

The shop I use, Reid's, always have a proper welcome when you go through the door, and a good chat about local venues as well as a constant offer of a "cuppa" regardless if you have gone there for a float or a new pole!

Great angling people and not some faceless, nameless, (and in all probability) know-nothing pair of hands at a wharehouse who will only pack your items and send them off . . . . and if you are lucky, then you might even get what you ordered . . . . . . or not

terry m

Reaction score
AvonAngling is one of those shops and both Andy and Martine are very accomplished anglers and always ready to offer advice/locations if asked.

Now, tell me, where do you get that on an Internet "shop"?

The shop I use, Reid's, always have a proper welcome when you go through the door, and a good chat about local venues as well as a constant offer of a "cuppa" regardless if you have gone there for a float or a new pole!

Great angling people and not some faceless, nameless, (and in all probability) know-nothing pair of hands at a wharehouse who will only pack your items and send them off . . . . and if you are lucky, then you might even get what you ordered . . . . . . or not

That's what is sometimes called 'Service'. Not so much of it about these days!

Reaction score
You can say, "Use it or lose it", its so true to a certain extent.

But, and its a big 'but' these days, tackle shops have to move with the times - starting with providing good customer service and treating their 'shop' as a viable business with a plan and a strategy for growth rather than just a means of funding their fishing hobby/match career (and then moaning when its not making money).

For starters, acknowledge me when I am stood at the counter while I wait patiently for you to finish your never ending conversation with your mates....