carp rig bits

fishperch

Reaction score
hi can anyone recommend a good selection of carp rig terminal tackle, preferably in a selection pack. would it be cheeper to get it all separate ? no more of around £30 plz guys

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be wary of selection packs. They are usually very poor value for money and/or padded out with stuff that you'll never use.

alsoran

Reaction score
A bomb, a bead a hooklength and hook. What more do you need??

Some kind of coated braid, a few swivels, small rig rings, small dia silicone tube. 2 or 3 different types of hook.

Keep it simple.

fishperch

Reaction score
A bomb, a bead a hooklength and hook. What more do you need?? Some kind of coated braid, a few swivels, small rig rings, small dia silicone tube. 2 or 3 different types of hook. Keep it simple.
oh ok so thers no need for shrink tube,anti tangle tubes etc

alsoran

Reaction score
oh ok so thers no need for shrink tube,anti tangle tubes etc

No not really:eek:mg:. Since when has anti tangle tube been part of the rig?, shrink tube isn't really needed, why? because soft silicone with a hook with an in turned eye does the same job. For someone that hasn't all the kit I presume you haven't been carp fishing long, like I said keep it simple there's more to catching carp than the latest all singing and dancing rig.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Whilst I don't disagree with the principle of keeping things simple, I tend towards slightly more complicated, but not much. My standard rig bits are, tungsten tubing, a lead clip, a quick change swivel, anti tangle sleeve and whatever hooklink material I fancy. On the hook (very rarely do I use anything other than a curve shank, unless it's one of those rare occasions I'm fishing a stiff hinge/chod/helicopter or zig rig) I tend to use a Gardner line aligner with a bait screw. The latter have completly done away with the need for shrink tube in my carping world.

I do have plenty of other bits and bobs lying around my tackle box, just in case. However, many have been in there, untouched, for decades.

law

Reaction score
I dont even bother with a bit of silicone/line aliner/ shrink tube over the eye anymore. It made no difference to catch rate when I stopped using it.

carperjake

Reaction score
I get most of my bits and bobs from Mozzy's Tackle Revolution on Facebook, look them up, very innovative and waaaay less than Korda ;)

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All you need is this:
One spool of ESP Anchor Braid
One packet of Size 10 Fox Kuro S4 hooks
One packet of ESP Hi-Performance Japanese Uni-Link Swivels
One packet of Korda 4mm Rubber Beads
And some Drennan Small Float Stops
Proper arlesey bomb leads, dinsmores, or for longer range Korda Tournaments are ok

This will come to about 17 quid and make you the best naked line helicopter rig, it really is all you will ever need
Make sure you use a good tough mainline of at least 12lb with these items
The floatstop will form the top bead and the Korda rubber bead will fit perfectly snugly over it. make sure you have the wide hole of the bead facing back towards the rod end
The swivels are so good and so smooth they will never pinch through the line but make sure you check and re-tie the lead on after a good fish

Last edited:

lovelyjubbly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't listen to mugs who use things like stiff hinge rigs just because they have been basically told to by Danny Fairbrass's bank manager who wants you to buy his massively overpriced little spools of line which is like strimmer cord and absolutely horrible to work with.

The worst thing you can do in fishing is overcomplicate things from the start, you will just get lost. I like neat rigs, so I use braid. ESP braids are best. With a simple helicopter rig the rig will not tangle as long as you cast nice and smoothly. Richard Walker advocated the use of braid a very long time ago and I tend to agree with him. :)

fishperch

Reaction score
Don't listen to mugs who use things like stiff hinge rigs just because they have been basically told to by Danny Fairbrass's bank manager who wants you to buy his massively overpriced little spools of line which is like strimmer cord and absolutely horrible to work with. The worst thing you can do in fishing is overcomplicate things from the start, you will just get lost. I like neat rigs, so I use braid. ESP braids are best. With a simple helicopter rig the rig will not tangle as long as you cast nice and smoothly. Richard Walker advocated the use of braid a very long time ago and I tend to agree with him. :)

nice, i use only the Kd,snowman nd chod rig. with nothing more then coated braid hooklinks swivels hooks and an iine lead