Reels

jake182

Reaction score
Has anyone used or using the wychwood big pit reels? I'm interested in getting a pair but don't know much about them

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have a set of 65 Riots... good solid reels with VERY good line lay... (they cast like a rocket) a decent line clip and very smooth... downsides... well... I've heard they can be weak under load but I've had a near 30 on mine and it was fine and the line can sometimes get under the spool....

there is no freespool other than backing off the clutch and tightening up when playing but all non free-spool big pits are like this for the money they are bloody good value...

I now use the Wychwood 5500 QD (baby big pits) bloody excellent reels and match my Dwarf's perfectly

jake182

Reaction score
I'm using them for piking and I fish with an open bail arm anyway, I've heard good things about them and I'm stuck between them and the daiwa crosscast, just can't make my mind up

law

Reaction score
My mate bought 3 ready for our France trip a couple of years ago.
One stripped gears on the first fish, the second, despite having good line lay initially, got worse and worse as the days went on.
Half way through the week, he was using his spod and marker reels and my spare reel as he didnt trust the last one.

jake182

Reaction score
Is that the wychwood? Maybe I'll go with the crosscast, not heard a bad thing about them, thanks

law

Reaction score
Yeah. He had the ones with the baitrunners. Exorsist or something.

jake182

Reaction score
Yeah right, a bit more thinking needed I think