Why would the EA----

flightliner

Reaction score
Go to the trouble of removing a small overflow type weir on a tiny notts river and replace it with a gently sloping one of large flat rocks.
All that I can think of is to improve the flow but having fished below it in the past it seemed pretty adequete to me.
Any other ideas???.

greenie62

Reaction score
Go to the trouble of removing a small overflow type weir on a tiny notts river and replace it with a gently sloping one of large flat rocks.
All that I can think of is to improve the flow but having fished below it in the past it seemed pretty adequete to me.
Any other ideas???.

Are there any plans for local hydro-power schemes on the watercourse?

There are a number of local hydro scheme applications in this area - prospectuses advertised to garner financial backing as 'community schemes' despite the failure of the existing pilot schemes as well as the developers failure to provide fish passes - no action by EA as yet in spite of complaints from local clubs etc.

There is supposed to be a national commitment to removal of weirs and obstructions to fish migration to improve the aquatic environment - EA maintain they can't afford it - but seem prepared to spend the money they haven't got in improving flow for the benefit of flows conducive to micro hydro schemes whilst ignoring developers' malfeasance! :eek::eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The EA have been systematically upgrading weirs throughout Yorkshire for a year or two. Crakehill (Swale) was done by subcontractors last summer. I believe that a few others also got done last summer. The reasons I've heard revolve around the improvement of potential for fish passage.

theartist

Reaction score
They did a similar thing about ten years back on the Gade removing the sluices and even cutting a chunk of concrete out of a relatively new weir.

This turned a river into a stream.

It did however increase flow and were they not to have done it I could only imagine how stagnant it would have been had they not with the increasing water abstraction.

It will improve fish passage which is what i'm sure the Ea will say even though fish dont have a problem with small weirs anyhow. Just don't be surprised to see your river get smaller and smaller.