Colour

slaphead

Reaction score
Just bought some Daiwa Sensor to use as a mainline.

This got me thinking (doh), should my hook-link material be of the same
colour?

Thanks, in advance.

Keith M

Reaction score
As long as my hooklink and main line are as unobtrusive as possible I don't think it matters whether they are the same colour.

Most of my hooklinks are virtually colourless anyway.

Keith

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I'd be interested to get your thoughts on Daiwa Sensor, Slap, as I bought some 6lb strain which pretty quickly convinced me that the best place for it was my garden incinerator and NOT on spools.

I may have just been unlucky but it kinked and all sorts. Awful stuff. I actually ended up doing some gardening and filling the incinerator and, like some latter day Matthew Hopkins, swiftly organised a public burning.

slaphead

Reaction score
You've got me worried now, dorsetandchub. :eek:

I bought a bulk spool of 4lb b/s, with 3000m on it. I keep imagining the size of the birds nest. :D

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'd be interested to get your thoughts on Daiwa Sensor, Slap, as I bought some 6lb strain which pretty quickly convinced me that the best place for it was my garden incinerator and NOT on spools.

I may have just been unlucky but it kinked and all sorts. Awful stuff. I actually ended up doing some gardening and filling the incinerator and, like some latter day Matthew Hopkins, swiftly organised a public burning.

My sentiments precisely, Phil. I know a lot of people rate and use Sensor but as far as I'm concerned it is right up there with the worst mono ever foisted upon the angling public. Granted it is cheap and handy for repairing fences but its all downhill from there. Awful bloody stuff.....a public burning is too good for it.

Just my opinion though. I spooled up with some once and it never made bankside....stripped it straight off and buried it at a crossroads .

As for colour...no,I don't think mainline and hooklink need match and I like a line that's unobtrusive too just in case it makes a differnce. For me that means clear or pale green. I don't like dark lines at all. Sensor comes in clear I believe but the one I see mor often than not is as near black as makes no odds. I wouldn't use it on colour alone.

Last edited:

sagalout

Reaction score
I use daiwa sensor in 4, 6 and 8lb and I use Guru n-gage for the hooklinks. N-gage is clear, no colour and is good enough Steve Ringer so I 'spose I can make do with it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
3000m !! Ye Gods, that's one a helluva lot of spec line..............Still, perhaps you could off load it to someone about to fish the Mariana Trench, via ebay.............? ( add a winky smilie here ! )

It's not exciting, and I doubt it comes in 3000m spools, but Maxima Chameleon takes a lot of beating as a reliable all-rounder. ( IMHO )

I've taken a chance on offering this as an alternative as it wasn't your original question, but being a good chap I'm throwing it in for free....................Good colour as well !

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
' dark lake bed ' is where it's at......

Need to be careful not to highjack the OP thread, but your ' clear line ' is.... ??

terry m

Reaction score
I am not too concerned about colour of mainline, especially in conjunction with the colour of hooklinks. In fact different colours often work best inasmuch as the broken colours are more difficult to detect (to the human eye I accept) than a straight single colour.

As far as Sensor goes? I have tried it, but as others have said I cannot get on with it. It simply has too much memory (in the higher BS's) and the resulting springy coils are a nightmare.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
' dark lake bed ' is where it's at......

Need to be careful not to highjack the OP thread, but your ' clear line ' is.... ??

Sufix Dura Flex. Discontinued [goodness knows why] but there is still a bit about albeit very hard to find [particularly in lower diameters] but it is absolutely brilliant stuff as well as being low diameter. Failing that Pro Clear...or light green Pro Gold. I have complete faith in all 3.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Obviously i'm the odd one out here....as usual lol. Imo sensor is a fantastic line, either fished straight through or with a hooklength attatched. I have no problems with it twisting etc etc iand t certainly behaves well for me, it catches me plenty fish anyhow :).
My favourite hooklength material is silstar matchman, again an excellent line.

Oh, sorry Slaphead I haven't answerd your question m8. No your hooklength (if you use one) can be a totally different colour to your mainline, just use what you fancy on the day.
For the most of my fishing I fish straight through and sensor in both the coloured or clear version has always caught me fish okay.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Each to their own probably covers it...

Last year I bought a load of Pro Gold after many on here recommended it, including Gerry who uses/used it a lot. I put different breaking strains on two reels and gave it a whirl for a week but I just couldn't get on with it, so out it went. The remainder remains in a dark place...
No, for my roach fishing I use 2,5lb maxima 'pin reel line with lighter lines of differing makes for hook lengths to 18/20 hooks and it works just fine.

As I say, each to their own......or would 'one mans meat is another mans poison ' suit better..

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
My weapon of choice is Preston Reflo. I'm a recent convert to Preston line but from what I've found so far it's all good.

As for hooklengths, I've never bothered about colour changes. Line colour doesn't worry me in the least. The Preston stuff is dark blue and seems, as I say, all good so far. :)

slaphead

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. :thumbs:

I bought the Sensor cheap and intend to use Shimano Aspire for my hook-link (got it free).

Just wondered about the colour difference.