What's your favourite...

B

binka

Method of bite detection?

Seeing a tip wallop around and hearing the reel scream following a bite on a bolt rig such as the method, a “single toner” perhaps or silently watching a bobbin or monkey climber dance, maybe the directness of touch legering or sight fishing on the surface?

I’ve got to admit it’s the age old sight of a float sailing away that does it for me although they all bring their rewards.

What’s yours?

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Have to agree with Steve on this one, they're all good. It's even better when it could be absolutely anything on the other end.

That said, the disappearance of the float still gets me buzzing.....:)

seth49

Reaction score
The three ft twitch of a barbel is brilliant,
But I do like to see the float dissapear.

theartist

Reaction score
Although 99% of my fishing is on rivers there is something special about the float finally disappearing beneath those tench bubbles.

Keith M

Reaction score
It's the lift and disappearance of my float as a Tench takes my bait, or when touch legering; the feel of a Barbel moving over my bait and the subsequent three foot twitch.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's gott'a be watching my float disappear either on still or running water.

I do like the feel of a take when lure fishing also.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Pleasing in appearance and even more so in disappearance" - it has to be the float*.

But the one that stops the heart is a pike taking a surface lure.

* Can anyone pin down that quote for me? Everyone says Sheringham, but I've only been able to find it in Bazley.

law

Reaction score
I like watching a float go under. More so when pike fishing. You never know what size fish is on the other end.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I've got to agree with Alan, the sudden explosion of a pike taking a surface lure is breathtaking, I've experienced nothing like it and the size of the fish doesn't really matter unless it happens to be a big one. Change of underwear time.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Any fish taking a bait/lure off the surface, free lining, touch legering, watching a tip on the river all stand high – but if I had to pick just one then it’s got to be the float.............

nicepix

Reaction score
Float for me too. Especially when mullet fishing.

I also enjoy any takes when using surface baits or lures. The large mouth bass in Cyprus took the poppers with a sound like canvas ripping. First time a catfish took my shallow fished livebait under the rod end was like that but ten times louder. Nearly sh@t myself :eek:

sumtime

Reaction score
Love that sail away of the float when a tench is on the end and the rapid bend of the tip, the take of a dry fly on a river, all a buzz.

bracket

Reaction score
This is easy for me. My greatest delight is to put a stick float through perfectly. If I can manage that I ain't really bothered whether it goes down or not. Pete.

terry m

Reaction score
All methods of bite detection are great, after all that tells us that we are succeeding!!

But, the very favourite for me is the unloaded deadbait pencil lifting, and waggling before falling flat then moving away. Adrenalin rush every time.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
A float disappearing when trotting, the lift of a float when the lift method works perfectly, the rod tip going around as a chub or barbel takes, the pluck on your finger tips as the line tightens when touch legering, the indicator dropping back when up-stream legering, the drop off indicator letting a scream, the line rushing across the water surface when free lining, the float paternoster twitching before disappearing when Perch fishing, the tug on a lure as the trap is set, the scream from the buzzer when a Catfish take's a bait.

Wonderful moments and why many of us going fishing !!

Bob

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
A small midlands river with lush marginal weed leaning ever so slightly in a gentle currant.
A float fixed top n bottom and set slightly overdepth that is allowed to come to rest alongside the vegetation.
The floats tip rises gently before sliding away ---- angling heaven.

lambert1

Reaction score
That is quite a disturbing vision Chris,:eek: but I must agree with you and the others, that it is still the float for me too and if it is a home made one, even better. When I first went fishing as a kid I owned one porcupine quill float and I still have a real soft spot for them and occasionally buy them when I see them come up on Ebay. Free lining comes a close second though.