Zig placement

justabitpikey

Reaction score
Afternoon gents

Just wondering when your zig fishing do you just hump your rig out into the middle somewhere and just concentrate on the depth or do you think about where in the lake it is as Well? I've started doing a bit of zigging and I've had a couple where I've noticed a bit of a regular route that carp take and specifically targeted it but I'm not sure if I've got the confidence just to chuck an adjustable into the middle and work from there...

Just wondering how you lot approach it if your using zig tactics?

Atb

law

Reaction score
I dont use zigs a huge amount, but when I do, I've had good results by recasting regularly to different areas and different depths until I've had one, then I'll keep at that depth.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As carp tend to spend much of their time somewhere in the mid to upper layers of the water it will often be a matter of keep changing the depth until you get takes - about half depth is usually a good starting point. During the winter months I'd fish a shorter line, about 1'-2' off bottom and use a roving approach to find where the fish are shoaled up.

P

pointngo

I've started doing a bit of zigging and I've had a couple where I've noticed a bit of a regular route that carp take and specifically targeted it

You've answered your own question. Never, ever, stop scanning the water when carp fishing and be prepared to act on what you see and patterns that emerge.

law

Reaction score
t. During the winter months I'd fish a shorter line, about 1'-2' off bottom and use a roving approach to find where the fish are shoaled up.

I find the opposite in winter. Thats when I do most of my zigging. I find that in the summer, its easy enough to get the fish up onto the surface, so leave zig fishing for winter.
I have most maybe a foot under the surface. The only reason I can think, is that the upper layers warm up faster.

carperjake

Reaction score
I set my Zigs up on a running lead set up so I can adjust the depth once they are in situ, a few turns on the handle or pull some line off the clutch every 15mins changes the depth accordingly. I also recast them every hour, more often if I see a fish cruising, I'll drop it well in front and start off with the bait just under the surface to ambush it.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My Zig placement is back at the factory where they were made
Horrible fad
Not for me at all

thecrave

Reaction score
As members have said normally you start off at a depth then either move it up or down depending on your preference

wanderer

Reaction score
Can be the only method likely to catch, high summer and Mid winter, placed in patrol routes they work, used over spodded slop on an overstocked commercial they cause serious foul hooking problems, its another tool, used by a proper carp angler, it is a very useful addition to his armoury, used by the match carp puddle anglers, very damaging to the fish.