Your dream fish in?

B

binka

Inspired by a conversation this evening with another FM member (you know who you are)…

There will likely be many variations on this due to location, age, peers etc which should make things interesting but if you could pick out a line up for your “dream fish in”, past or present, then who would it include and why?

Being in Nottinghamshire and starting out in the 80's and being heavily influenced by the stick float era mine would have to be:

1) “Big Frank” Barlow for his quick wit and irrepressible humour, in addition to him being a legendary Trent angler

2) John Dean for his sheer prowess with the stick

3) Dave Harrell, to compare how todays float expert compares to yesteryear and a thoroughly nice bloke to boot

4) Billy Lane, as a float legend there's no further explanation required

5) Ivan Marks, as above

6) Me :D

And likely many more.

Coarse, game, predator and sea... Who would be in your line up, where and why?

chrissh

Reaction score
My Granddad & Dad for getting me in to fishing and teaching me how to fish

Isaac Walton for what he did for fishing

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Being a dyed in the wool Specimen hunter for almost all my life, my selection reflects this.

1- J.W.Martin, ''The Trent Otter'', who despite humble beginnings went on to produce a number of books that were a ''joy'' to read, and embody all that is good in angling.

2- Hugh Tempest Sheringham for his masterful writing style, peppered with humour.

3- Richard Walker, for his pioneering work in almost every aspect of angling, and his many delightful books.

4- My late Grandfather, who taught me to understand the elements of angling as a mere nipper. And instilled in me the beauty of nature.

I have from time to time thought what a revelation it would have been to see their reaction to the modern fishing tackle.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm more than happy with the group of lads I'm with this weekend, all good thinking anglers without an ego between them.

law

Reaction score
My dream fish in would be Robson Green and whoever pioneered pouring thousands of little carp into lakes, creating the commie and ruining so many lakes accross the country, so I could stab them both in the face.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My dream fish in would be Robson Green and whoever pioneered pouring thousands of little carp into lakes, creating the commie and ruining so many lakes accross the country, so I could stab them both in the face.

...Really?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score

I take it that was said tongue in cheek. Even so, a little extreme mate, don't you think?

terry m

Reaction score
My dream fish in would be at either a typical aged estate lake, or a long slow meandering stretch of dark river.

The only key ingredient would be total solitude.

That probably makes me a miserable old git, but for me fishing is about escaping the day to day life, I get plenty of 'socials' in other parts of my life.

Fishing is 'me' time!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
For me this is an easy one, as a fellow Stafford born emigrant and 17th century body, it has to be Izaak Walton. Am already imagining how much I could learn from him, fishing and non fishing AND getting a signed The Compleat Angler, to boot :)

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Bernard Venables, simply to say thanks for a book that allowed a very young lad to "escape" to another world.
John Martin, the trent otter, again for his books and maybe to converse with a man who trod the same river has myself .
Donald Keene, a local angler who was the finest float angler I knew and was inspirational to me and numerous other keen young lads.
Tommy Evans-"Mr Works Sports", Possibly one of the finest match anglers that ever graced the fenland match scene, two wins of the above mentioned match with over 1500 entrants lining the river Witham was unrivalled in match angling history , a tottaly unassuming angler who just "did the business" by letting his fishing do the talking.
Any one of dozens of the Trent greats --take your pick and they would be made welcome.
Ernie Parlour-- Sheffield guy, and ex proprietor of a guest house near the river Witham and storyteller number one. After the days fishing he would have you doubled up with laughter while telling his stories propped up against the bar.
Tommy Eyre, my old boss and one time president of the old National Federation of Anglers, a good angler who saw something in me and gave me a chance to achieve my goals in more ways than I realised at the time , to sit by a river and say thanks would be really nice.
My dad, a keen walker who gave it up to take me fishing at every opportunity, I,ll never forget being stranded on Rampton island on the tidal trent when the river rose behind us -- we nearly missed the coach home waiting for the river to fall.
Me-- nuff said!!!!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
This Isaak Walton caper is all terribly worthy but, to be brutally honest, I doubt there's much he could teach any of us. We would gve him a right banjoing even on his own gear I suspect.......and I doubt there would be much else in common to chat about.

I've thought about this and I'm a bit fussy when it comes to sharing my fishing time. I don't know any celeb anglers well enough to want to spend time with them. I'm intrigued by how J W Martin fished and fascinated by A E Hobbs obsession with big Thames trout. Wouldn't mind spending a day in either of heir punts i guess.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'd settle for Binka's 5; I watched all of them fish and chatted with some of them. Just finishing writing Ivan's (and the Likely Lads) biography and appreciate his sublime skills.

Keith M

Reaction score
I have often thought it would be great if I could spend a day back in the 17th century with Isaac Walton on his (and my) beloved river Lea and take my modern tackle and baits back with me to show him how the tackle and methods have changed since his days.

I could also let him know that Pike are not bred from pickerel weed, and also let him know that eels are not bred from the muck and filth of the earth but breed and arrive from the Sargasso sea. LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Ivan Marks
Billy Lane
Richard Walker
Peter Stone
Keith Speers
Chris Yates
Ray Walton

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Hard question to answer.

Roy Child- the bloke who taught me to fish, a brilliant angler, sadly died too young.

George Howell- a brilliant rod builder and all round good bloke who won the Ouse Championship.

Richard Walker- who gave me a lift home when I had an Asthma attack whilst fishing the Rib.

Stud- a good mate who makes the best Greek salad and bankside grub I have ever tasted.

Simon King- my mate.

Clive, Gary, Dave, Garry, Tino, Maurice, Chris, Big Phil, Martin, Neill, Mark, Ian, Neil, Allan, Phil, Jerry, Barry, Mick, Daryl, Kev & Mick, George, John, Bob, Tony, Warren, Peter, Mike, Martyn, Terry, Ray, Steve, Les and lots more.

To many to name !!

Thanks for the memories.

Bob

bracket

Reaction score
Yes I'd go along with binka's choice, with the addition of these few Nottingham notables: Jimmy Meakin, Ted Stokes, Pete Brough, Colin Jeffery and Dennis Fox. We would have a fine match, it would be like old times, plus the high point being the get together in the pub afterwards with the added challange of getting Boris to pay for a round. Pete.