cleaning up old tackle

tominator

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I've just joined up here, and as mentioned in my intro I've not fished for a number of years but am looking to get back into it.

I've still got all my old tackle which has been sat neglected for around 10 years or so in the garage. Initially I want to get this out and cleaned up as I can't afford to go out and buy a complete new outfit right now, though I plan to start picking new bits and pieces up as I go.

So....I was wondering if anyone had any tips for checking over and cleaning up my rods (glass/carbon float and ledger rods) and fixed spool reels to make sure they are good to go for my first outing!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Tom

chrissh

Reaction score
the rod blanks you will most probably find they are ok check the reel seat - whipping and ring clean the rods in a mild washing up liquid & water solution then rinse of and dry

the reels strip the old line off check they are turning smoothly wash in mild washing up liquid & water solution & rinse you can take the side plate off and clean out the old grease / oil re-grease/oil your local tackle shop will sell reel grease /oil if then all is ok with the reels put new line on them

ravey

Reaction score
There's probably not much to do. I would change the line on the reel, and that's about it. Keep your gear away from damp and mice and it should be OK.

Tight lines.

terry m

Reaction score
Agree that changing the line is a must.

The rest of the stuff can be a cosmetic wipe down and a quick functional test.

Keith M

Reaction score
One word of advice when cleaning and oiling your old reels.

Don't make the common mistake of thinking that WD40 is a lubricant; which it isn't; it's excellent for cleaning out old oil and grease from reels just as long as you wipe it off afterwards before adding some clean oil or grease.
As WD40 dries out it leaves a sticky residue which can clog up bearings.

I made this mistake on one of my Centrepins once and spent hours cleaning the sticky residue out of the bearings (which had clogged up) afterwards. LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Tominator.....I now feel guilty. Tackle tarts look away now.:eek:

My gear has also been neglected for the last 10 years but it has still been in constant use!!!

I do change line regularly though and make sure everything dries out after rain.

One of these days I will wash the dried groundbait off my reels:wh

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
One word of advice when cleaning and oiling your old reels.

Don't make the common mistake of thinking that WD40 is a lubricant; which it isn't; it's excellent for cleaning out old oil and grease from reels just as long as you wipe it off afterwards before adding some clean oil or grease.
As WD40 dries out it leaves a sticky residue which can clog up bearings.

I made this mistake on one of my Centrepins once and spent hours cleaning the sticky residue out of the bearings (which had clogged up) afterwards. LOL.

Keith

And the same goes for locks a big no no is WD40 never ever ever dreadfull stuff ..

PG ..

tominator

Reaction score
Evening all,

Thanks for the replies...sounds like a good wipe down, inspection and regreasing of the reel is in order before the weekend comes around!!

Cheers for the advice, T

Keith M

Reaction score
I was always told that locks need to be lubricated with graphite.

If I'm lubricating one of my Centrepins I use Graphite (from pencil lead) added to sewing machine oil.

I lubricate my fixed spool reels using 3-in-1 oil or a light grease; not forgetting to lubricate the bail arm springs at the same time.

Keith

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I was always told that locks need to be lubricated with graphite.

Yes good choice the only down side is that graphite has a habit of leaving hard to remove black marks in pale coloured clothing , there are now dry silicone sprays that work well but not cheap like circa £12.00 a can and small at that . but WD40 nah

PG ..

rubio

Reaction score
WD40 is a useful de-greasant so don't discard it's potential too hastily. Some reels I have picked up 2nd hand start off clunky and are gummed up with the original dollop of grease. Slosh that out and replace as advised and all seems good again. Old reels in particular seem to attract a mentality of being 'packed' in grease as per the old school way.

terry m

Reaction score
It's quite peculiar how in the last 30 years WD40 has become synonymous with household lubricant.

When I was a kid, it was nowhere to be found in my fathers shed. Instead the little can of 3 in one was the go to lube then.

Is this another example of progress/convenience not always shaking out well?

thecount

Reaction score
WD40 is great when used for it's intended purpose as a Water Displacement fluid

For some reason it has gained a reputation as a lubricant and also as a penetrating oil, it is useless at both

One other thing it is good for is removing the remnants of sticky labels from glass etc. Apart from that just keep it for the HT leads on your motorbike