Have you ever forgotten

chrissh

Reaction score
I spent yesterday sorting out my tackle tying hooks checking the line on my reels cleaning my rods and packed all the gear into the car ready to go fishing to today.
Up at 5am today quick cuppa got the maggots out of the fridge 5.45 in the car drove 40+ mile to fishing spot set my chair & bank sticks up, mixed ground bait set my rod & reel up thread the line went into my bag to find I had left the box that has all my hooks -shot-and other bits & bobs AT HOME nearest tackle 30+ miles away. packet up and drove home I'll try again tomorrow

B

binka

Yup, I'm afraid so and on more than one occasion I've left my waistcoat containing all my hooks and terminal tackle hanging on the back of a kitchen table chair.

On both occasions it was a forty mile round trip in the early hours to go back and pick it up :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
I've left my landing net behind once or twice and my unhooking mat on more than one occasion, I've also left my keepnets at home when competing in a team match and I've also left my fishery keys at home.

There's not a lot of hope for me LOL.

Keith

bigfish74

Reaction score
Did the exact same thing this morning although i was only around 3 miles from home

Andy

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Since the bulk of my fishing relies on location, Polarised glasses are an essential bit of kit. Needless to say that the times I have forgotten them and had to return home to pick them up, beggars belief. What rubs salt in the wound even more is, on arriving home to pick them up, Mrs G is stood on the doorstep wearing them with a silly grin on her face.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I will admit to bieng somewhat OCD when it comes to mmy rods, reels and tackle and I have different bags/seat boxes for each type of fishing I do, so the chances of forgetting anything are reduced considerably.

That said, I now own 5 landing net handles as I constantly forget to put the proper handle into the relvent rod holdall before use.

I also seem to "lose" scissors from my bags/boxes with alarming regularity . . . . . the incidence of these "losses" however reduced greatly following my last divorce . . . . . nuff said methinks?

I know it is rather expensive to double or treble up on many small items of terminal tackle and bags/boxes but it does lesson the chances of forgetting something and potentially ruining a day . . . . . . . . and given that my days on the bank are very limited indeed, then in my case, the investment is very worthwhile . . . . oh, and you can add that being "happily divorced" I don't have to justify purchases to anyone but myself .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Once it may have done me a favour. Went to the beach with my mate and when I pulled my beach caster out the top section was missing, somehow left it home. Carry on regardless so, I set up and managed to cast 20 yards with my stump of rod while my mate was doing his usual 100+ yards; which he found very amusing as did a few passers by.
I caught two nice Bass and he caught zero which he did not find so amusing. I did-laughed all the way to the pub as we had a bet and he had to buy the drinks.

Apart from that I have learned my lesson, and keep everything in the bag and check before I go. And doubly so when I pack up having left, flat keys, car keys on the bank side ensuing a great deal of panic.
One time I got home one Sunday afternoon late and it was dark and raining. No keys to my top floor flat and no way I could break in. Where I had been fishing was 10 miles away and I did not fancy going back in the rain and dark. Someone advised me to go to the fire station. When I got there the bloke said to me "have you left a electrical appliance on and I advise you to say yes". It was all a bit surreal, they got the fire engine out and put a ladder up and got in no problem without any damage, they have ways and means. I offered the firemen some money for their charity and they absolutely refused; I think they were grateful for the exercise although I now always give some when the opportunity arises. Top blokes, they really are.
Now the really stupid thing is, the next morning I put my coat on to go back and look for my keys and discovered a hole in the pocket and the bloody keys were in the lining. I couldn't believe it. Please - no comments. what a prat, I already know.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Maybe the odd turnaround in the car to pick up some odd item, food, rod etx but nothing of any note. What did make me smile however was only a week ago I was talking to a chap on a club lake who told me of the time he took his dad to the river trent for a days fishing and when he got home he realised he had left his dad on the bankside.:doh:

thecrow

Reaction score
Yes, once left a large tackle box at home that contained everything except rods/net, 120 mile round trip later I was back on the banks of the Severn.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Markg, don't beat yourself up, the new holey pocket isn't a pratfall, it's an sophisticated ambush over which the daemons have laboured hard and long. You stood no chance.

The landing net was only my latest - sometimes it's been the rods; the worst was the Wallis Super Wizard I left on the bank of the Holybrook in Southcote - that still hurts.
Often I've forgotten the best rod for the job and found myself starting out on Plan "C", which seldom goes well.

The "least worst" was forgetting my floats, and having a decent day's float-fishing using a found feather.

law

Reaction score
I will admit to bieng somewhat OCD when it comes to mmy rods, reels and tackle and I have different bags/seat boxes for each type of fishing I do, so the chances of forgetting anything are reduced considerably.

That said, I now own 5 landing net handles as I constantly forget to put the proper handle into the relvent rod holdall before use.

I also seem to "lose" scissors from my bags/boxes with alarming regularity . . . . . the incidence of these "losses" however reduced greatly following my last divorce . . . . . nuff said methinks?

I know it is rather expensive to double or treble up on many small items of terminal tackle and bags/boxes but it does lesson the chances of forgetting something and potentially ruining a day . . . . . . . . and given that my days on the bank are very limited indeed, then in my case, the investment is very worthwhile . . . . oh, and you can add that being "happily divorced" I don't have to justify purchases to anyone but myself .

Duplication is the way forward. I was always leaving scissors, baiting needles, banknsticks etc at home.
Ive now got a rod bag and shouker bag for general fishing that has everything in, and another for my carp trips.
About the only thing I forget now is to get my bait out of the fridge/freezer. But I now keep a little fork in the car to dig for worms if im miles away from home.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
When I was with Loughton AS back in the 70's, the coach picked up a mile from my house... I used to get a lift to the pick up point with a neighbour who fished with the club.... (I didn't have any transport at the time) on this particular outing he couldn't go.... and I had to lug a box, (a full Efgeeco Supaseat) net bag, and rods, up a pair of steep hills to get to the pick up point.... I arrived a sweaty runny mess and when the coach arrived, I started loading the gear inside and club sec, Stumpy Joe Skinner uttered those dreaded words..... "Where's yer rods lad"?

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhh........!!!!!!!:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
I got a little song i sing when loading the car to remember all the gear as I forgot my fishing jacket once and it was one hell of a long drive there and back.

Hopefully wont make that mistake again but i bet i do

terry m

Reaction score
Yes like other I have been guilty of this.

From leaving reels behind as a teenager and having to cycle home to get them and then cycle back. (About 20 miles extra).

to, more recently leaving things like alarms at home and asking my wife to drop them off for me.

I try to be organised and systematic, but sometimes we miss things - I guess it is an age thing..... :wh

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Always got a few pellets and tins of meat and corn in the bag but then forget either bread, maggot or worm (all kept in the garage fridge). Have forgotten landing net bag once and had to beg one at the pool.

caelan

Reaction score
WERE do I start worst I went over to Ireland first morning out came me rods not a feeder in sight I had picked up the wrong rod bag had to lend a feeder rod of a mate
Another time left me packlunch in the kitchen
Left me maggs/worms in the fridge

cattyfatty

Reaction score
mine was going to a water some 30 miles away and the night before getting all the gear ready for a couple of overnighter at a carp lake
packed it all up in the car , arrive at the lake getting my gear on to my barrow and was setting up in the peg when suddenly thought where's my main rods
no where to be seen , just my spod and marker rods clipped on my quiver...
always double check now and check when loading into the car...

john step

Reaction score
Forgotton just about everything at some time or other.

Most hurtful was as a youngster I saved my paper round money to buy the blank etc to make a pier rod.

On the way home from Southend on Sea I put it in the over head luggage rack on the train and that was the last I saw of it.:eek:mg:

seth49

Reaction score
Yes I've turned up to fish in just my shoes,forgot my boots or wellies several times.
Forgot my waistcoat the other week I keep all my essential stuff in there I was lost without it.
Seem to spend hours nowadays looking for things I've put away safe, and then forget were I put them.
I had a test at the health centre last year to see if I had any signs of dementia.
Regular thing now when your over sixty odd.
Passed that ok, so it's just my memory I suppose.