What do you wear

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you wear when you go to a fishing function?

I have been to quite a few fishing shows and functions and it always amazes me how many people attending them turn up in full fishing attire......What's that all about?

I tend to dress to match the venue so if it is in a hotel it will be trousers and shirt, a pub will be jeans and a T shirt and if it's a country show in a field it depends on the season, Autumn and winter it will be cords and a 'Champion brand' farmers check shirt summer it's short sleeved shirt and chinos with footwear and outer clothing to suit the conditions.
The only nod I ever make to fishing clothes is a realtree fleece which sometimes comes out if I get caught out by a change in the weather.

So what's your choice of clothing and why do you make your particular choice?

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
It cracks me up seeing people in all their cammo at the shows. Boots and all.
I dont understand it at all. People dont wear their pajamas when they go bed shopping.

simon dunbar

Reaction score
Cords !!!? Do people still wear them? It is funny when people where full realtree outfits to a fishing function . Jeans and t shirt for me , maybe a fishing group related t -shirt or one from a foreign fishing adventure.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I kid you not.... I once accompanied the wife to "The Horse Of The Year Show" at Olympia.... and on the train up there, sitting opposite.... from Leyton to Olympia was a complete eejit with jodhpurs, boots, spurs, riding jacket, helmet and riding crop :eek:mg: He must've parked the horse at Leyton Station car park with a couple of hobbles and a nosebag....:D:p:cool::doh:

I too wonder why they do it.... :D:cool:

john step

Reaction score
A few of the anglers of my acquaintance wear the fishing togs for "off duty "
wear. They tend to be the single blokes. Saves washing I guess.

bracket

Reaction score
When I worked for a living a certain dress code was expected . So it was always a collar and tie and a different suit for each day of the week. Come my retirement I was well sick of that and in my first week as a pensioner the suits, shirts and ties were dumped at OxFam. I am a confirmed Levis and Tee Shirt man and only wear a suit for weddings and funerals. I don't own a tie, but do have a large collection of neckerchiefs, which has always been my casual style for any activity. So that's me, take it or leave it, I don't give a monkeys. Pete.

dangermouse

Reaction score
It`s the same at shooting shows. Lots of people strolling around in tweeds, another group wandering about in full camo. Me, I just wear my usual casual attire.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have to wear shirt and tie 90% of the week.

In reply to John Step:
When not working I tend to wear similar to when fishing, usually jeans, cragopper type trousers, tshirt etc.
No lack of effort washing, I just dont feel the need for a set of clothes for each potential social situation.

nicepix

Reaction score
Here you are Ade. Perfect for that 'Society' meeting..........

url

Suits you Sire :D

The bad one

Reaction score
It’s funny this thread has come up as yesterday I was at my club’s annual open day, which I went to with my 23 year old nephew. He doesn’t read this site, so would be unaware of this thread. As we arrived and got out of the car he made a very similar comment to what is said in the first post “Camo what’s that all about?” His, “Why do some people see the need to dress in full fishing gear at what is a social event?”

To illustrate the point in its fullness, whilst watching the Wallis Legend Caster that is Alan Oh sh1t I’ve drowned another phone Roe, I turned round to see a bloke dressed in camo boots, winter Real Tree dungaree, jumper and leather trilby. I whispered in the nephew’s ear, don’t look now, but have a look at the bloke at the top of the bank in a few second time.” He p***ed himself laughing!

How’s the phone today Alan mate?

I can confidently report neither More Spiders “I’ve got the best scales ever made in the world” and Poshers “You don’t sound that posh to me” Paul, were not dressed in anything as obtuse. I did however find the black overcoats a little OTT and a bit sinister if I’m honest guys!

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Oh and I nearly forgot, and this isn’t a p*** take either, at the end of the event I got talking to a salmon angler about the salmon fishing on the length of river the event’s held on, who is a tailor in Manchester. Even gave me his business card to boot!
Now that is bizarre :confused:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to wear just weekend clothing as a rule, a pair of slacks, a pair of loafer shoes and a barbour country shirt usually, and if its a bit nippy then a V neck sweater slung over the shoulders.

In winter I add a barbour jacket and actually wear the sweater as well.

I am not really into hats to be honest so rarely wear one except for fishing and then it is a baseball style cap or sometimes in summer a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off.

philrossy

Reaction score
I used to go to the motor bike show at the Nec annually and it always amazed me how many people I clocked changing into leathers in their car!