Anyone getting that itch?

theartist

Reaction score
No not that!

It's early June you have been walking the rivers already and they look amazing and it's only two weeks to go before that babble of brook can be heard before your ears as you wet a line on the 16th.

Can't wait how about you?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Too true - two of my favourite local rivers less than 10 minutes drive....................:)

fr1_zpsc921cb26.jpg

cfs_zpsgiqjriqg.jpg

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lovely looking waters you've got there BB :).

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Yep. Neil1970 and I were checking out our local river and I got bitten by a mosquito on the back of my left hand...
Itched like fak.....

The Sogster

Reaction score
Yep, the migraine, the spasms, the itch, the twitch and the tic in the left eye.

Not to mention the involuntary fishing 'tourettes', my boss came up behind me as I was sat at my desk the other day. I was daydreaming about chub and found myself inadvertently saying to him "nowt, and get off the sky line" or words to that effect. :eek:

B

binka

Really can't wait now, for some reason the close season seems to have flashed by this year yet I reckon I'm more eager than ever to get on the river... I was only thinking this afternoon how nice it would be to grab the Avon and tootle off on the spur of the moment.

:)

ken more

Reaction score
Yep. Neil1970 and I were checking out our local river and I got bitten by a mosquito on the back of my left hand...
Itched like fak.....

Rouge stinging Nettles have a similar effect on the bullet wound and surrounding area when caught short..... And never a Dock leaf when you need it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Experience over many years tells me that as much as I look forward to the Glorious 16th that the actual results are always far worse than hoped for.

I tend to not bother on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon until late August as it is only then that the fish really seem to become responsive.

Those that know me also know that I don't fish at all in the Close Season for coarse fish preferring to spend my time after Brown trout on local venues then switch over to Coarse fishing late August time.

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
In my experience the glorious 16th used to actually surpass expectations. Couple of reasons for that, I think. I am going back to the days of my youth, nearly half a century ago. The rivers, or the ones I fished, were in far better shape than today. Secondly, in those days I used to drag a swim and prebait it for a couple of weeks up to opening day. Was also fishing at midnight on the 15th or at the water for first light on the 16th. All the aforementioned usually led to some fantastic catches. Don't bother with serious coarse angling nowadays but if I did I would do the same nowadays.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Have to see about a bit of River fishing this year , Been far too many years since i last tried a river lots of deep salt water and canals along with the odd Pool no commies .

Wonder what the Stour is like around Stourbridge it certainly looks sort of ok plenty of weed and a good flow ....

PG ..