I am ready

caelan

Reaction score
JUSTspent the morning sorting out me fishing gear new line on me reels an spare spools binned a lot of old **** don't know were it all comes from may have a trip out this week after work you tanglers ready for the OFF

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Fished a commercial with the 11'6 Supero and Ci4 Shimano Rarenium spooled with 4.4lb Floatfish as this will probably be my "go to" set up for small rivers, coped with a small Carp about 5-6 lb so should deal with any Chub I'm liable to encounter.

Not so sure about a double figure Barbel though, looks like I may have to invest in another rod;):wh:D:D

nicepix

Reaction score
We have been off touring for a week, across to Alsace and then west, following the Loire upstream, and back home through the Allier valley. Didn't take any fishing tackle as I would have needed a supplement to my CdP and didn't expect to have much time to fish anyway. But this week I've been given a three day pass. Just me, no wife, no dog and definitely no cat so I'll be off towards the west coast for a spot of mullet fishing. And boy, am I ready? :D

nicepix

Reaction score
Mullet fishing, I'm turning green...................

Not the same as Cyprus harbours and beach though Jerry. These are smaller and are land locked in a canal that runs right through a town. You can sit at a table eating your moules & frites and the mullet are swimming within a rod length from the table. There are roach in there too that have fantastic vermilion colouring to their fins probably due to the salinity. You can watch them unscrew tiny whelks from the canal side. The literally twist them off.

Talking of mullet; Flight', Binka; about time you two went down to that spot I mentioned. They will be in there now and any time soon the silver tourists will be coming up the flood tide. ;)

greenie62

Reaction score
We have been off touring for a week, across to Alsace and then west, following the Loire upstream, and back home through the Allier valley. Didn't take any fishing tackle as I would have needed a supplement to my CdP and didn't expect to have much time to fish anyway.....

Hi NP,
Why did you need "a supplement to my CdP"? I understood - from previous remarks - the Carte was a National Licence - are there different species in the upper Loire and surrounding areas that have different licence requirements?
Tight lines!

Keith M

Reaction score
JUSTspent the morning sorting out me fishing gear new line on me reels an spare spools binned a lot of old **** don't know were it all comes from may have a trip out this week after work, you tanglers ready for the OFF?

I have re spooled my two spools on my Sheffield with 4lb and 6lb line (I have a spare spool), and put some new 6lb, 8lb and 10lb line on my Shimano 5000's, gave my Barbel and Chub rods and the float rods that I will be using a good check over, and now I am all ready for the off on the 16th.

Although I don't intend to start fishing till the evening and into dark; I will still be there with my polarised glasses and a few pellets doing a bit of Barbel spotting during the day.

Keith

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Hi NP,
Why did you need "a supplement to my CdP"? I understood - from previous remarks - the Carte was a National Licence - are there different species in the upper Loire and surrounding areas that have different licence requirements?
Tight lines!

We had thought that other than an overnight stop each way, on route, we would be spending most of the time in the Alsace area and not going anywhere near the Loire, other than to cross and re-cross it. For some unknown to me reason a few rivers or parts of rivers in France are classed as private. These tend to be trout rivers and the ones in the Alsace largely fall into the category. There are some in the Dordogne too. You have to pay for a day or weekly ticket as well as your CdP.

As it happened there wasn't as much to Alsace as we had been lead to believe. You could do the lot in two days, three if you included the mountain tour. So we took the long way back and unexpectedly dropped on a couple of places where I could have wet a line if only I'd had one to wet.

The Loire isn't a particularly good river to fish if you are doing the scenic tourist route. The actual river is bordered by vast sandy banks that entail a long walk to get to the river. And the river is largely very shallow and very clear. Not ideal. The upper reaches, above Sully-sur-Loire are better options for fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Caelan,

I will be fishing on the river not far from you so I may possibly even see you up there :)

Keith

Last edited:

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
So is it worth lobbing few hand falls of sweetcorn in different swims on rivers, Was planning a walk down Athe river tomorrow with the daughter so might give it a try and then go again few days before 16th.

Keith M

Reaction score
So is it worth lobbing few hand falls of sweetcorn in different swims on rivers, Was planning a walk down Athe river tomorrow with the daughter so might give it a try and then go again few days before 16th.

I might be wrong (and most probably am) but I have often thought that If the fish haven't seen baits like sweetcorn for three months or more they might need to get used to finding and eating it all over again; which possibly may be one reason why the opening days are often not as good as expected, so a bit of prebaiting in the days leading up to the 16th might pay dividends with these baits as long as it is not overdone.

Keith

greenie62

Reaction score

It's one way of finding the fish feeding points on a stretch of river where you can see the bottom - providing it's got a sluggish flow. Drop the handfulls of corn in at likely looking spots, carry on with this as you walk the length, then on the way back up the stretch - peer in to see whether the patches of corn have been disturbed/hoovered-up.
Don't use too much corn - it might pull them all over the river - don't leave it too long between dropping the corn and checking on it, if you are trying to find fish that'll 'av it smartly!
Assume stalking tactics as you move down the bankside and back and try not to spook any fish under the bank.
Your daughter may well be better at it than you ;)- some youngsters have better eyesight - so make sure she has a pair of polaroid-type glasses too!:cool:
Good spotting!

nicepix

Reaction score
Keith, I've found that sweetcorn and maize is readily accepted by fish that have never seen a bait before. In one small farm pond I've seen carp beach themselves to get to spilled maize in the duck feeder on the bank. It is also a good bait for early season swim feeding as it is highly visible and you can sometimes tell whether it is being taken or not in shallow swims.

Anyway, I'm now ready for my three day fishing jaunt. The camper is prepared and loaded, maps printed, research completed, food prepared and ready in the fridge and I've just made a gallon and half of bread mash groundbait from a load of stale loaves, two pints of boiled milled maize, wheat and hemp melange and two Tupperware boxes of paste for the hook. The only dark clouds on the horizon are the thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow afternoon and Saturday afternoon. Looks like I'll be getting wet.