River Roding - Minnows on corn

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Lobbed some corn in the river today got thousands minnows feeding like mad on it lol saying that when the fun begins next week I would be happy to even catch these!

Apology sound is the misses and kid that wouldn't shut up lol

https://youtu.be/x6POEOYxvAY

8yvt3m.jpg

x3u9hv.jpg

john step

Reaction score
River Roding...that brings back memories. It was my favourite place as a youngster. I used to catch a bus to the White Bear at Stanford Rivers and catch roach, chub and pike. The best fishing I had as a kid by far.

nicepix

Reaction score
It was around this time of year, I think 8th June 2006, when I came across a minnow migration. They were milling around under the lip of a small weir and leaping it just like miniature salmon. Once or of they managed to leap the vertical water they had to swim like crazy over the curved and very shallow lip of the apron.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
What size hook would you need for minnows? As I'm not even joking I would be happy to catch these for first fish in about 4 years lol

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd go with a 20 barbless and a single maggot on a light float. Sometimes if it's sunny they will take a bare hook. They maybe tiny but they attack anything small and edible. I wish they grew to a pound or two.....

steve2

Reaction score
Hi John,
Have fished the Roding for over 50 years seen all it ups and downs. Also fished the White Bear section wonder if our paths crossed at sometime. Still remember walking back home from here when I missed the 175 bus. Think the walk was about 7miles.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's astounding just how big a hook greedy little bait robbing minnows can squeeze in their traps. I've had them on hooks as big as a 10 with four maggots on them. However, if I felt the need to deliberately fish for them, I'd be using something no bigger than a 16. I doubt the need to go smaller than a 22.

nicepix

Reaction score
It's astounding just how big a hook greedy little bait robbing minnows can squeeze in their traps. I've had them on hooks as big as a 10 with four maggots on them. However, if I felt the need to deliberately fish for them, I'd be using something no bigger than a 16. I doubt the need to go smaller than a 22.

That's a good trick in a perch or trout swim :wh

hammer_jamie

Reaction score

Cheers Sam - Just bought a barbless pack size 20 on eBay. If I can't catch anything bigger I will turn to the minnows :D

john step

Reaction score
Hi John,
Have fished the Roding for over 50 years seen all it ups and downs. Also fished the White Bear section wonder if our paths crossed at sometime. Still remember walking back home from here when I missed the 175 bus. Think the walk was about 7miles.

Its just possible. I belonged( as a junior) to the Collier Row AS. It was 50 yrs ago this year my membership lapsed upon reaching 16yrs to leave home and find my way in the world.
Just think, nowadays you have to stay in education until 18 ( I think?).
It was 15 then.

As to catching minnows.... I once weighed in over 4lb of the little blighters for a match placing on the Grand Union at The Oveltine stretch where the Gade flows in.
The water was black with them, so I rigged a whip of about 6 feet and had my arm thrashing away like a windmill. Never,NEVER, again though!!!!!

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Apology sound is the misses and kid that wouldn't shut up lol

The Mrs and kid are the important things, getting the little one interested in what goes on under the surface is the first step in giving him/her a hobby which will last for the rest of his/her days.

Try a little whip and a pinkie or fragment of worm and take the nipper with you, you will have a great hour or so of 'Dad time' before they get bored and want to do something else.

Last edited:

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
Well said Titus, She still is a bit young at almost 3 years old but I will try get her into fishing one day lol she already is football mad.

I will defo bring with me every now and then for an hour or so :)

steve2

Reaction score
Hi John,

Looks like we were junior members of the club at the same time.

Always thought minnows were a bit of a pest when fishing small baits.
I then found out what a good chub and perch bait they were on small streams
Don't use them now found lures to be just as good.