Frank Guttfield

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Very sad news, he was a very intuitive angler. And his book, ''In search of big fish'' motivated many young speci types. He will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. Frank.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I heard the sad news that he died this morning Mike - knew that he'd been ill for the last couple of years condolences to his family...

RIP Frank

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think he was in his mid 70s. I last saw him either early in 2014, possibly the year before. He told me that his hope of having his cancer fixed had evaporated as it had spread; he put it more bluntly than that. He had written a warts and all autobiography but I suspect he was having difficulty finding a publisher willing to risk the fall out! He could be quite feisty.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shame, however, we all have to go sometime, it's just a pity that just as you reach an age where you have got it all sorted out some bu66er puts the lights out.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Very sad, Frank was a great angler.

My condolences go to his family.

RIP

Bob

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the last of the great anglers of a generation.

Really saddened to hear this, and my condolences to his friends and family.

R.I.P. Frank

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
One of the last of the great anglers of a generation.

Really saddened to hear this, and my condolences to his friends and family.

R.I.P. Frank

True Peter, but I would venture to suggest that only those of a certain age would realise the contribution Frank made to ''modern'' angling, along with his mates. None less than ''Walker'' himself said, ''Frank brought me the manuscript for his book,''In search of big fish'' early one evening. I couldn't put it down until the early hours of the following day''. Praise indeed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
True Peter, but I would venture to suggest that only those of a certain age would realise the contribution Frank made to ''modern'' angling, along with his mates. None less than ''Walker'' himself said, ''Frank brought me the manuscript for his book,''In search of big fish'' early one evening. I couldn't put it down until the early hours of the following day''. Praise indeed.

Indeed, those who can remember fishing before the Carp revolution or the introduction of the ubiquitous Pellet . . . . . . . . so few of those brilliantly innovative anglers left I'm afraid, and the few who wrote of their exploits and explorations have left behind a terrific piscatorial legacy.