Oops you're well and truly Busted Now!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
£880/£240 quid and a criminal record. seems a bit harsh for what is probably a first offense. Do you think they went for it because hes supposed to be a professional angler, whatever that means. I mean there's usually a lot of delight when ever its a name or a "professional" gets caught, perhaps the court were partaking in some of it.

sagalout

Reaction score
a bit harsh for what is probably a first offense
I think he broke law and got punished, what I think is particularly good is that it finally puts to rest all the barrack room lawyers who keep saying it is not a criminal offense to fish without a ticket. This makes it very clear that it is theft and will be dealt with by the law.

B

binka

Thanks for the update Phil, I was only wondering yesterday when this was coming up again as I knew it was June but didn't know the date.

I think that outcome is pretty much as expected really, I reckon he got no less than what he deserved.

A slight sense of irony maybe that publicity was the start of his downfall...

"The investigation was sparked by an article in the Angling Times picturing Gibson with a 52lb Common Carp. Tatton Park's ranger saw the article and contacted police."

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
It's a good start , Now are they going to start doing anything about the EE problem or just continue to move fish around away from the EE as seems to have been the case in Stourbridge by the Bonded wharehouse .

They found an old pond the EE have been using to store Stolen Fish in with a clean water supply , WHat was the response Electro net the canal in question and move the fish up north somewhere completely doing for a very good piece of canal to fish all the decent big Bream Roach Rudd Perch were taken and shipped out .

PG ..

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think blood was scented and the Rottweilers were sent in and the justice was the same, rip him up. Justice, a big word worth pondering over sometimes, lynch mobs and hang em high is more the impression I often get. Same with the angling trust and all their go and get em, name and shame them attitude. Do anglers ever stop and listen to themselves and just wonder a bit what they have become! Anyone remember when it wasn't like that. Where did all that the genteel sport of gentlemen go, Makes me want to give it all up to be honest, truly, I find it all very sad..

Actually, i think i will give it up, the sports become a pile of depressing c**p.

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
The bloke decided to publicise the crime, presumably to further his career as a 'sponsered angler'. It would be nice to think that this would make him a pariah with the trade but I'm not holding my breath. After all, one well known firm advertised a small bivvy as being ideal for 'guesting'.

He got what he asked for, he'll probably make a profit out of it.

It is depressing but not for the reasons Mark cites.

Stu

sagalout

Reaction score
Mark, he publicly announced that he had been stealing, surely it was right and proper that he was punished? If it was your car he had stolen would you not want him punished?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The bloke decided to publicise the crime, presumably to further his career as a 'sponsered angler'. It would be nice to think that this would make him a pariah with the trade but I'm not holding my breath. After all, one well known firm advertised a small bivvy as being ideal for 'guesting'.

He got what he asked for, he'll probably make a profit out of it.

It is depressing but not for the reasons Mark cites.

Stu

Its all the laws, rules and regulations or more specifically the over preoccupation by anglers and the organizations like the angling trust, clubs and everyone else who jumps on this band wagon is killing the sport. Fishing as a fun hobby is being overtaken by all of that c**p. Fishing was about pleasure, fun, recreation enjoyment once upon a time. sorry Stu, but I honestly see it like that. I get very tired of it. It bores the hell out of me as well and does not attract me to the sport and many others I would guess. What must this hobby look like to them, I wonder.
I need to rejoin the human race and start having some fun again, I am in danger of forgetting what that was!.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
The Angling Trust had a landmark result in Macclesfield Magistrates' Court?????

How long have the trust been able to prosecute anyone ? talk about jumping on the band wagon.

just goes to show that if you do a bit of "guesting" keep photographs to yourself and the chances of getting caught are minimal ;)

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
ts all the laws, rules and regulations or more specifically the over preoccupation by anglers and the organizations like the angling trust, clubs and everyone else who jumps on this band wagon is killing the sport. Fishing as a fun hobby is being overtaken by all of that c**p. Fishing was about pleasure, fun, recreation enjoyment once upon a time. sorry Stu, but I honestly see it like that. I get very tired of it. It bores the hell out of me as well and does not attract me to the sport and many others I would guess. What must this hobby look like to them, I wonder.
I'm really sorry you feel that way Mark, but this wasn't a hobby to this chap, it was a job. He get's paid to publicise tackle, bait whatever. As I said, he's probably made a profit out of this.

He chose to trespass on somebody else's land then paste the result all over the angling press. I wouldn't be massively surprised if his sponsers had paid his costs.

I'm a little surprised that the ATr got involved, after all the National Trust are quite big enough to defend themselves. If it had been a member club that had been on the recieving end, after the members giving their time and money to develop and nurture the water, grow on the fish etc only for some publicity seeking low life to climb over the fence and fish the out of bounds section and reap the benefit of all that effort, then publicise it, I would want them to get involved.

Stu

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good luck next time you want to go to the States mate, a criminal record is an instant flight home.

If this sentence makes one person think twice about poaching someone else's fishing rights then it is a good thing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
There will never be enough rules, regulations, the fines and policing will never be enough, it will just go on and on until no one bothers anymore.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Sadly the weight of the fine and sentence isn't carried through to other crimes.... when you hear of drug dealers caught with multiple wraps of cocaine skunk and amphetamines on their person, being given a caution, you have to wonder whether the British judicial system has got it's priorities right....?

That said, he's a thief and a law breaker..... if it was your own water and some scally rocks up and starts to fish it without your permission, you'd rightly feel aggrieved.... so why shouldn't the riparian owners in this case....?

I think at some point in our lives a fair old few of us have "Guested" waters. At the time, it seemed a hoot, but I suppose you have to look at it from the riparian owners point of view.... just because it's there, doesn't mean you can or should.... as a sponsored angler he should be setting an example..... now he's just a tvvat with a criminal record...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't see why anyone with no inclination to do a bit of "guesting" would be remotely concerned by this outcome. Anyone involved with the running of a fishery (club, syndicate, day ticket or other) is likely to be breathing a sigh of relief.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
more specifically the over preoccupation by anglers and the organizations like the angling trust, clubs and everyone else who jumps on this band wagon is killing the sport

Sorry Mark, if you or I don't comply with the rules (and more to the point laws), we would expect to be punished accordingly, he not only "guested" (aka stole) but publicised it in the hope of gain or even profit. Regardless whether it's a 54lb Carp, a 10lb Salmon or a 2oz Roach, justice has been done. Hopefully it will be the first of many prosecutions including those taking coarse fish for the table, (not convinced it will be though).

You should remember that those "jumping on the bandwagon" are also those trying to protect their fishing and fish stocks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I am very happy that this dimwit has been prosecuted and fined.

He committed trespass and theft of fish so he deserved all he got in my book.

That he has probably profited from it makes it even less acceptable to me, and if it were my call the fine would have been in the thousands!

Indirectly you could probably say that his sponsors did indeed pay the fine, or at least he paid it from his "earnings" from said sponsor, and that makes his selfish actions even less palatable.

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Theft of fish?" Was it not returned? Was it ever his intention to take it away?

"Theft of amenity", yes; having the fun others have paid for (and thereby making it harder for those who had paid to enjoy, because carp do learn), but if he'd actually swiped the fish I think the case would be reported with a completely different slant, and he'd be doing a Mussolini from a lamp-post on the corner of the street...metaphorically, of course.

Still cheating, though.

thecrow

Reaction score
Such outpourings of self righteous indignation, just amazing that some have little else to do than celebrate the prosecuting of one angler while hundreds get away with far worse.

May I ask again? since when have the Angling Trust been able to prosecute? apparently this was a great success for them?

While on holiday recently I passed over the river Waveny, I was not surprised to see anglers? fishing from boats, I thought about reporting it but thought that with so many honest and caring anglers about that someone was sure to have already done it.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Such outpourings of self righteous indignation, just amazing that some have little else to do than celebrate the prosecuting of one angler while hundreds get away with far worse.

千里之行,始於足下 (A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step).

This prosecution is a step in the right direction.