How long do hooks last

chrissh

Reaction score
Yesterday I went over to a lake that stocked with Tench-Bream -Carp had 3 bream and 1 carp.

The carp had 1 other hooks in its lip and a length of 8 to 10" line that had broke off

I have always been told if a fish is deep hooked to cut the line as near to it mouth as possible

My question is how long do hooks last in the fish before they rust ,or do fish have a way of getting rid of hooks

john step

Reaction score
Its not that often you catch a fish with hook in it. I have always presumed they get rid of it on debris or vegetation. Certainly a hooked fish that has dived in weed can transfer the hook to the weed. But that's under tension.

I think barbless makes the difference. Any barbel I have caught with a hook in those rubbery lips has been barbed.

I suspect it takes a long while for a hook to rust and weaken enough to fall out.

Its a good thread and a point we don't often face up to??

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Its not that often you catch a fish with hook in it.
That's very true, in fact the only time I've seen it in years was in a pike which broke me (don't ask, cack handed disaster) which I caught less than 10 mins later!

Most new hooks are treated so won't rust quickly so I assume that they must get rid of them or they fall out relatively quickly, barbless or not.

Does anybody have any info on this?

Stu

law

Reaction score
I think barbless makes the difference. Any barbel I have caught with a hook in those rubbery lips has been barbed.

Someone posted totally the opposite on a recent thread. The one about the state of carps lips!

john step

Reaction score
Someone posted totally the opposite on a recent thread. The one about the state of carps lips!

Law,.Yes I did. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Oh dear. I hope that's not how they get rid of them but upon reflection I fear you may be right.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back in the 80s it was common to catch barbel with 5 or 6 tiny hooks to gossamer nylon in them but with the demise of match fishing on the rivers this is no longer the case and it's years since I saw a fish trailing a hook and line.
I do remember back in the day when I used to catch eels for tope baits I would not even attempt to unhook them and simply cut the line and drop the fish in a lidded bucket.
It never ceased to amaze me that when I opened the bucket to deal with them the following day there would always be hooks in the bottom of the bucket where some of them had managed to disgorge themselves.

law

Reaction score
I've only ever caught fish with tiny hooks in them. Nothing bigger than a 16.
But always carp. I had one a couple of years ago that had the barbed hook in its mouth and some line going out of his mouth, under a healed wound and trailing a few inches behind him.
I've never had a silver with a hook in. I guess because they are less likely to snap you up.