Scales

B

binka

I've got the Reuben Heatons and all I will say is they are a waste of money.

Practically impossible to zero and when you have (after ten minutes) make sure you don't blink or you'll have to faff about re-zeroing 'em again, also very inaccurate when tested on labelled food items and such.

Can't comment on the Korums but I would avoid the Reuben Heatons like the plague unless you want a very flattering but highly dubious list of personal bests :D

lambert1

Reaction score
Damn, I got a set of Ruben Heatons as a birthday present which I requested as I thought they were supposed to be good. I was uncertain about the digital set I had, but now I better compare them:(

B

binka

Damn, I got a set of Ruben Heatons as a birthday present which I requested as I thought they were supposed to be good. I was uncertain about the digital set I had, but now I better compare them:(

Sorry about that... They still might be good as an individual set and I've wondered if I had a rogue but I've heard similar comments from others.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a set of Korums. Brilliant until the on/off button stopped working. As I rarely weigh fish I couldn't see the point of paying a load of money so I ended up getting a set of Newsomes which I saw recommended on BFW I think. Only about 12 nicker.....smaller than a packet of fags,accurate and (so far) bomb proof. Highly recommended if you're happy with 1oz increments which I am.

Got em off eBay. I really can't fault them for the money and they take up no space whatsoever.

Last edited:
B

binka

Cheers Binka - Feel free to recommend any others :)

I'll find out what my mate uses, he has a digital bar type set and despite my uneasy suspicion of all things digital they've been bang on, quick and easy to use too.

P

pointngo

I use flyweights and haven't had any problems in years with them. They read accurately when I test them yearly.

They've been discussed elsewhere before and it seems that there are some "bad" ones out there... still reubon heatons, but for some reason they won't settle, as Binka's won't.

If they're bad from the off send them back.

Always give the hook a couple of steady pulls before you zero scales as well. When they've been sat in your rucksack for any length of time the spring tends to seize slightly and it loosens it up for a more accurate reading.

john step

Reaction score
I have not had any trouble with the Rubens.
They read the same as my digital and also the Avon dial ( The Avons are a bit heavy though)

seth49

Reaction score
Had the korums a few years now, no problems, just change the battery every year?
I check them against a set of Avons I have ,usually with a few bags of shopping.
always ok with a good battery.
There a lot lighter than the avons and fit nicely in my waistcoat pocket.
I checked them the other day after a carp I thought was about ten pounds, only weighed eight pounds on them, did look to have spawned though.
I like them.

naxian62

Reaction score
I've got some Reubens, and can confirm they need re-zeroing every time. Not too much of a hassle, I mean how often do you actually use your scales ?
HJ they weigh 600g I'd say that's pretty light for an analog set

steve2

Reaction score
Used Avons and Flyweight scales for years never had problems with either sets.
Friend uses a set of cheap electronic luggage scales cost him about £5 and they are very accurate.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Friend uses a set of cheap electronic luggage scales cost him about £5 and they are very accurate.

Aldi/Lidl strike again - the ones I've got are fine, light and compact enough to pop in a pocket. :)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
My RH's are also pants.... they won't zero correctly and TBH are a waste of time.... I had a set of the Korum's and they lasted 2 days before the screen went blank (new batteries too, so a fault with the scales) Angling Direct swapped them the for the Ruben Heatons... on the hunt for something small and reliable now:mad:

john step

Reaction score
John, Are the Rubens light to carry around?

Yes, very. Thats why I got them for when I wanted to cut down on weight.
The small digis I bought work OK but I get frustrated with the time they take to re set and the difficulty in reading the display in bright sunlight. (May be because they were cheap and you get what you pay for).( Or even maybe because I'm a technodinosaur:eek:)

greenie62

Reaction score
...The small digis I bought work OK but I get frustrated with the time they take to re set and the difficulty in reading the display in bright sunlight...

OR .... maybe 'cos you've still got yer polies on and the lcd screen goes seemingly opaque!? :eek::D:cool:

naxian62

Reaction score
Oops! Correction; the Mk2's weigh about 160 grams. Realised after 600 is a lot, don't know where that came from ?
Anyone using RH s digital ones, the slim tubular jobby ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I have three sets of scales; Rueben Heaton Flyweights, Avons & Fox rovers (which are digitals).

Although not as light as the RH's the weight of the Avons has never caused me any problems. in honesty they are not that heavy (516g) and weigh less than my Fox Rover Digital scales (624g)

My Rueben Heaton scales may be a lot lighter but they are nowhere near as good quality, robust and as accurate as my set of Avon dial scales are, and with the Avons you don't get the common RH Flyweight problems when zeroing them either.

My Avons easily fit into the outside pockets of any of my tackle bags and I know that I can rely on them to be accurate. My previous Avons lasted me for 32 years and I only replaced them because they were starting to look a bit tattie.

I know that the Avon scales are no longer made but they are regularly sold on eBay for around £25-ish or less (which is where I bought my latest ones).

I would only be tempted to use my RH's if I didn't want to carry a bag and I needed to carry scales in my coat pocket; however luckily I can keep my Avons in the back pocket of my fishing waistcoat when I need to; as they are not really that heavy or large.

Keith

Last edited: