A seal no way

caelan

Reaction score
First trip out yesterday 4 tiny chub angler in the next peg shouts out you got a seal coming up to you I never seen it 2 hours later 2 ladies on a boat said to me there is a seal up there I was on the great ouse in Cambridge any one seen a seal when out fishing

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
First trip out yesterday 4 tiny chub angler in the next peg shouts out you got a seal coming up to you I never seen it 2 hours later 2 ladies on a boat said to me there is a seal up there I was on the great ouse in Cambridge any one seen a seal when out fishing

Not an uncommon sight on the River Witham a few years back. In fact it became somewhat of a nuisance on one of the side drains. I even had one chasing my lure on several occasions. It drove me off the place.

flightliner

Reaction score
Lower Tidal Trent, not uncommon. Year before last a pod of six harbour porpoise went upstream to the weir at Cromwell happily ripping their way thro loads of Barbel.

B

binka

Lower Tidal Trent, not uncommon. Year before last a pod of six harbour porpoise went upstream to the weir at Cromwell happily ripping their way thro loads of Barbel.

Flight... I've also spotted porpoise on the tidal down at Gainsborough.

flightliner

Reaction score
Flight... I've also spotted porpoise on the tidal down at Gainsborough.

Binka, I reckon that for everyone we see down on the Tidal theres a few that get under the radar!
I reckon the ones I saw ripped a massive hole in the upper tidal Barbel stocks.
Easiest fish in the river to catch but after they had gone "back"? Catches were certainly much lower.

B

binka

Binka, I reckon that for everyone we see down on the Tidal theres a few that get under the radar!
I reckon the ones I saw ripped a massive hole in the upper tidal Barbel stocks.
Easiest fish in the river to catch but after they had gone "back"? Catches were certainly much lower.

What size trebles d'ya reckon you'd need to mount a 4lb barbel?

:eek: ;) :D

floatfish

Reaction score
River Hull has it's share of Seals, mostly females seen. They can catch and eat fish far faster than it takes to tell it. One I saw was huge, saw it from a footbridge turning in and out of a shoal of small silver fish. If it came ashore you would just get out of it's way.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've seen seals on the Yorkshire Ouse, Hull and the Trent. I've also seen the porpoise on the Trent.

retrobob

Reaction score

It's possible this is the seal that has been seen in the St Ives area - where in Cambridge were you?

caelan

Reaction score
RETROBOB
I was on the laa stretch hollywell near st ives its the first time I have heard of them but there common as all the posts are telling me it makes the fishing
slow no wonder we never caught much

ravey

Reaction score
I saw one on the Witham a few years back, near the Bain end. It was very early morning, and I was trying to make out what it was as it drifted into view.

wa1115

Reaction score
The one in the river Hull is still kicking about, I saw it yesterday whilst chucking lures for Perch, had been doing quite well until it turned up!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Blow It's bl***y head orft .. :wh Ke who said that me nah guv wrong bloke there :wh :eek:mg:

Or maybe it needs reminding it is supposed to be a "Salt Water Critter " , We could always do what the "EE's" do and drag net it out to sea with a good riddance don't call us we'll call you if needed ..

PG ..

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I reckon they are going to do the same as cormorants and as food supplies get scarcer in the sea they are going to push more and more up rivers in search of food.
Eventually we will have our own fresh water species of seal !

The bad one

Reaction score
I reckon they are going to do the same as cormorants and as food supplies get scarcer in the sea they are going to push more and more up rivers in search of food.
Eventually we will have our own fresh water species of seal !
A possibility Mark as they are in Lake Baikal Siberia, the only truly freshwater species in the world. More likely they become dual water species, at home in both, as the subspecies are in the Hudson Bay region Quebec.