Fishing for Carp for the first time

upinsmoke

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so be gentle. I am returning to fishing for the first time in 20 years so need some help with what new tackle I will need to get started. In 20 years everything has changed, but not sure its for the best in some area's. Never seen so much equipment for just Carp Fishing, so is a bit of a minefield.

Anyway want to have a go at Carping. In the past I fished mainly rivers and some still water when you did not have to be a member of a club or payed for the privilege. To be honest I never went out for big fish,just enjoyed a day relaxing and catching what ever came along. I mainly fished with float and on the odd occasion used to do some feeder fishing. So as for carp fishing have not caught any, so thought I would give it a go.

I have one venue that I would like to visit its Iden Woods Fishery near Peasmarsh East Sussex. So If any of you have fished this perhaps you can give me some advice on what bait etc.

Right I have been buying some gear to get me started listed below perhaps you can give me your opinions on what I have bought so far.

Fox Carp Fishing Micron MX+ Bite Alarm x 2

Greys Prodigy GT3 Carp Rods 2.5 test curve x 2

Shimano Baitrunner ST 6000 RB Reel x2

42" Landing Net

Chub Classic Bedchair

Leeda 3 IN 1 Rod Pod Plus Carry Case

Carp Fishing Unhooking Cradle Mat Rigid Outer &Soft Inner

NGT Inline Method Feeder Carp Fishing Tackle set 15g 20g 24g 30g Soft Touch

Daiwa Sensor Bulk Spool 10lb bs

Well that's what I have so far. So could you please recommend a decent 2 man Bivvy. Also want advice on hooks, weights etc. I also need a decent reel for my float rod which I could also use on a feeder setup. Any help choosing a stove and cooking equipment, anything else I will need for night fishing please.

Thanks Mick

Any equipment help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

benny samways

Reaction score
Bloody hell, there's loads to go at there. Alot will depend on what size the carps are that you are targeting.

Carp rods and reels will feel completely different to the match rods and feeder rods you are used to, ungainly even. They will take a bit of getting used to when playing fish, so bear that in mind.

I would also fish with 12lb line as you will be able to bend the rod more with out feeling as though you are going to snap your line. (nash nxt d-cam is 5star).

Simple knotless-knot-rigs will suffice, separation between bait and hook is key (especially for bigger carp) the shortest hair i would have when targeting carp is with the bait just touching the bend of the hook normally I have at least 1 cm from the bend to the bait.

Wide gape hook patterns are reliable (pallatrax the hook size 8 and 6) and I have been using the korda kranks to good effect too.

Location is the biggest problem to solve, all the gear in the world is useless if you cant locate that carp (as I have found out this spring!).

upinsmoke

Reaction score
Bloody hell, there's loads to go at there. Alot will depend on what size the carps are that you are targeting.

Carp rods and reels will feel completely different to the match rods and feeder rods you are used to, ungainly even. They will take a bit of getting used to when playing fish, so bear that in mind.

I would also fish with 12lb line as you will be able to bend the rod more with out feeling as though you are going to snap your line. (nash nxt d-cam is 5star).

Simple knotless-knot-rigs will suffice, separation between bait and hook is key (especially for bigger carp) the shortest hair i would have when targeting carp is with the bait just touching the bend of the hook normally I have at least 1 cm from the bend to the bait.

Wide gape hook patterns are reliable (pallatrax the hook size 8 and 6) and I have been using the korda kranks to good effect too.

Location is the biggest problem to solve, all the gear in the world is useless if you cant locate that carp (as I have found out this spring!).

Thank you for your sound advice have taken it on board will take a look at the hooks you recommended. But still not sure how you go about tying my own rigs for carp. Would it be better buying some already tied to start with. By the way have ordered the line you mentioned. Do you think it would be ok to use the 8lb line I bought to use on my feeder rod rather than waste it. Or could I use it on my float rod as well. Way back when I fished a lot I only used lines from 3lb to 5lb BS but on a carp water I understand It needs to be stronger. I have been told that there are carp up to 30lb in the fishery I am planning to start with. Any other advice would be most welcome.

Regards Mick

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Dont forget you dont have to follow the crowd and fish for carp. If the prospect of actually hooking a 20Ib + carp is low when targeting stocks of other species of interest (eg Tench, good Roach etc) then you could avoid using heavy lines or 2.5Ib TC rods and fish for those species instead!

upinsmoke

Reaction score
Dont forget you dont have to follow the crowd and fish for carp. If the prospect of actually hooking a 20Ib + carp is low when targeting stocks of other species of interest (eg Tench, good Roach etc) then you could avoid using heavy lines or 2.5Ib TC rods and fish for those species instead!

Thanks for the input. I understand that there are other species out there to go for 20 years ago I fished for all types of species I especially liked fishing rivers for quality Roach and had fun fishing a couple of venues for Bream and Tench now I find that I prefer to fish lakes and as I have never caught any Carp this is what I would like to concentrate on. Although I will still like to go for Tench,Roach and Bream in the venue I have chosen to fish.

Ronnie

Reaction score
If I were you I would purchase one of the many books available, there are 2 fairly recent books I have and would recommend, 1 is by Julian Cundiffe, the other by Ali Hamidi, they are both available for between £10.00 and £15.00, and will give you all the info on gear and tactics.

Ronnie

law

Reaction score
Fishing has changed massively in the last 20 years.
Id forget all the night gear and see if you enjoy carp fishing first. Its real hard to find a water that youre haopy with now.
I was on a waitin list for a syndicate for 8 years of one!

upinsmoke

Reaction score
If I were you I would purchase one of the many books available, there are 2 fairly recent books I have and would recommend, 1 is by Julian Cundiffe, the other by Ali Hamidi, they are both available for between £10.00 and £15.00, and will give you all the info on gear and tactics.

Ronnie

Thanks for the info on the books will check them out.

Fishing has changed massively in the last 20 years.
Id forget all the night gear and see if you enjoy carp fishing first. Its real hard to find a water that youre haopy with now.
I was on a waitin list for a syndicate for 8 years of one!

Thanks for the advice, I am sure I will enjoy it. I have found a venue I am happy with. The venue I mentioned in my first post is the one for me as I also go there for my Airgun Shooting so am hoping to combine the two. I work part of Saturdays till 4pm so plan to leave home and get there by 6pm set up for the evening and fish thought the night till around 10am the next day and then go shooting till 6pm. I kill two birds with the same stone that way. I will also retire next year so will have all the time then to fish through the week as well.

Last edited:

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Start on open water, easy lakes without snags. learn CONFIDENCE first, and get some takes. And play fish gently, never be in a rush. Don't listen to people telling you what gear to use too much, just pick what you fancy. Carp fishing is a very personal journey and it is great fun. You will meet plenty of nice people along the way and also some horrendous people. Take both with a pinch of salt and don't get too involved with the social side of things, just get on with it and do your own thing. fishing is about peace and solitude and it can be very magical. Just enjoy it, and if you're not, have a break and do something else.