Grass Snakes

chrissh

Reaction score
Just go back from a day's fishing on the Witham and there was a lot of Grass Snakes about must of seen at least 15 in the water and on the bank
(I'm the BIGEST COWARD WHEN IT COMES TO SNAKES) I normally only see 1 or 2 a year in the water.
would they be eating the fry - is it there mating time or just the warm weather making them active

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Chris

More than one and I'd have been heading for home sharpish, blind panic doesn't come close to it when I see a snake.

lambert1

Reaction score
There do seem to be more around this year. Whether it is due to a warm March/April, I am not sure. We had 7 in one compost heap at work! I am scared of snakes too and leave them well alone.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You know that feeling someone or something is behind you, we all it get now and then?
One night I was tucked up in my bivvy on the canal towpath when I got that feeling I wasn't alone. I quickly shipped my pole back and looked around....
Kinel, there was a massive grass snake staring me straight in the eyes...
Next minute it had me by the throat, claret everywhere!
With just seconds left on my phone battery I dialled 998...
No fracking reply aaaaaah...!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
All you have to do is to get a Preston no 4 section (with pull bung holes), put yer fingers over the holes, play a tune and the snake will be charmed.

Grabbing it at the base of the head, it's time for "Now THAT'S a knife...."

Just the sight of your knife will get it slithering it away, tout suite....:)

robtherake

Reaction score
Have you seen how fast those critters can swim? They can't half shift, considering they don't have fins. :)

The bad one

Reaction score
I bleeding hate them, all of them, the slithering horrible things that they are! The only creature I think should not be in any biodivesity plan anywhere on the planet. The only good one is a dead one, as far as I'm concerned!

wes79

Reaction score
I bleeding hate them, all of them, the slithering horrible things that they are! The only creature I think should not be in any biodivesity plan anywhere on the planet. The only good one is a dead one, as far as I'm concerned!

Snakes are wise creatures although far more fearful of man than is commonly known.

Always give them an escape route and they will take it every time.

caelan

Reaction score
:eek:mg:ONLY seen a couple when fishing last one was at felmershem on the river I was up that bank as fast as I could run it just stayed by me box

B

binka

This is the snake to keep well away from in Britain, it's by far the worst...

It's an adder! :eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
Caught a snake in a mole trap last week.....

I was told that it was an Aesculapian Snake. They are the only European constrictor.

I had a grass snake swim through my peg last week. As Rob says, they don't have go at a rate of knots. I wondered if they had to go fast so as to give them some lift, like a hydrofoil?

flightliner

Reaction score
Binka's adder is a really clever one, its likely the one encountered by The Crow when it did a guzinter (÷).

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a bunch of pussies you lot are, grass snakes can't hurt you unless someone picks one up and slaps you round the face with one and an adder is very unlikely to do you much more harm than a nettle or wasp sting.
I'm surprised you don't like 'em Phil with you being into nature.

The bad one

Reaction score
What a bunch of pussies you lot are, grass snakes can't hurt you unless someone picks one up and slaps you round the face with one and an adder is very unlikely to do you much more harm than a nettle or wasp sting.
I'm surprised you don't like 'em Phil with you being into nature.
There's are limits to nature Ian and snakes are beyond it! I'll tell you a story when I see you next about snakes Ian. :D