marker rod test curve

F

Frothey

tc doesn't really matter, its the action thats important. that, and you need to be able to cast a marker 1yard further than you can put a bait......

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers ,its only that i dont relly wanna spend alot on a dedicated marker rod, i have a 4th rod greys prodigy 2.75 test and was thinking will that do the same job ,and as i dont know that much i dont know what action a prodigy is ? i just luv playin fish with these /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

you can use anything to chuck a mraker out to check depth. the advantage of a fast action rod is that you will sometimes feel the bottom better as the rod is bending less

nik saunders

Reaction score
got ya mate ,so looks like a 2.75lb is gonna be to soft ,thanks for help Frothey ,think i sell the fourth rod and put towards a marker rod /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

nah, i'd just buy a cheap bass rod as a marker rod, and keep the fourth prodigy.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
The TC and the action are very important. Firstly you must be able to cast as far if not further than your carp rods can. Secondly the rods action is best if it is a fast tapoer action ie very stiff in the tip. The reason for this is as the lead is dragged across the lake bed the braid does not stretch so any obsticals cuase the tip of the od to compress as the lead climbs the obsticle. If the rod compresses to much as th lead reachs the top of the obstruction it them jumbs sometimes a long way as the rods compresses tip straightens out.

With this in mind a lot of the local guys I fish with will now only use there spod rod for marker work and I must say it is very effective.

nik saunders

Reaction score
cheers guy,s think i need some lessons in fishin ,have to say that marker work and spodding is not my best thing ,and this is what i need to sort out,the other thing is feeling the lead down,i will get there in the end practice makes perfect/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifi catch most of my fish from the margin which im good at but when it come s to finding that all important feture in the lake half the time im not sure what im fishin on..../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

cast the marker along the margin where you know what you are fishing over. pull it back, and you'll know what the different types of bottom feel like as you can see it.