Stalker rod/jungle stick recommendations.

robtherake

Reaction score
On my last couple of trips I've seen some lumpy carp feeding confidently in awkward margin areas only accessible with a short rod hit-and-hold approach. So, I'm after a suitable tool, maybe 6/7ft. for the job. Any recommendations based on your own experience? Fish go to mid-twenties, BTW.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have a look at the Freespirit E Class Creepers. The sbortest I own is 8'6", but they do one even shorter. If they are a bit rich for you, they have recently released Creepers in the slightly less expensive CTX range.

robtherake

Reaction score
Had a look at a 7ft 2.75lb Grey's rod earlier. It was lovely in the hand, as short rods are, and seemed well powerful, but there was nothing to compare it with. They're getting one of the 6ft, 3lb Nash Dwarf rods in next week so I'll try that, too - retails at around 45 sovs, so it won't break the bank, either. I'd drooled over the Free Spirit rods on the net. Didn't really want to spend so much...but they are very desirable :) Dammit - pretty sure I said I don't need any more bloody rods, yet here I am...

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I would be very wary of fishing for carp in swims that are simply not fair and not on
Their safety comes first
My rule is that if a swim is not open enough to use a normal 12 foot rod then I will not fish it
Carp need rest areas, don't go poking round in their bedroom
Also playing around with short rods means actions that are far stronger than you are used to and in my bailiff experience the carps mouths get mullered to bits as a result
In short, ignore the hype. Carp rods are 12 foot for a reason, they are a joy to play fish on at that length and a proper shock absorber
Short charter boat type rods are a horrible trend in my opinion, and are to be avoided completely
I'm sure lots of people would love you to buy more gear than you need though :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Also playing around with short rods means actions that are far stronger than you are used to and in my bailiff experience the carps mouths get mullered to bits as a result
In short, ignore the hype. Carp rods are 12 foot for a reason, they are a joy to play fish on at that length and a proper shock absorber
Short charter boat type rods are a horrible trend in my opinion, and are to be avoided completely

Surely that's got to depend on the rods in question? I can't speak for all of them, but the only 12ft carp rods I have that are comparable to my short rods are twenty year old Daiwa Powermesh 2.5s. That's a minimum rating for most modern carp rods and the action is far more through than the vast majority of current carp rods. I've not seen a modern 12ft carp rod that would be anywhere near as forgiving. Not all short rods come close to being "short charter boat type rods". No doubt that there are some brutal short pokers on the market, but not all short rods are that way.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[/COLOR]
Surely that's got to depend on the rods in question? I can't speak for all of them, but the only 12ft carp rods I have that are comparable to my short rods are twenty year old Daiwa Powermesh 2.5s. That's a minimum rating for most modern carp rods and the action is far more through than the vast majority of current carp rods. I've not seen a modern 12ft carp rod that would be anywhere near as forgiving. Not all short rods come close to being "short charter boat type rods". No doubt that there are some brutal short pokers on the market, but not all short rods are that way.
my point was that fishing pokey swims with brutal little rods that you're not used to (and short rods are inherantly far more powerful than long) is not something that should be taken lightly

sam vimes

Reaction score
[/COLOR]
my point was that fishing pokey swims with brutal little rods that you're not used to (and short rods are inherantly far more powerful than long) is not something that should be taken lightly

I don't necessarily disagree with that, just with the dirty great assumptions you make about short rods.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree with that, just with the dirty great assumptions you make about short rods.
It is my opinion, as I stated whilst making a very valid cautionary post on the topic being discussed, that stalking rods are horrible things. Unfortunately I am a very experienced angler and bailiff and I have seen far too much terrible mouth damage for you to make me change my opinion sausage, so please go and bother someone who's interested.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Remind me not to go near any of the lakes you fish.

Another cracking assumption to top it all off. Why do I have alarm bells ringing that suggest that you aren't quite as new to the forum as you purport to be?
Rest assured, I won't be coming near your waters and you aren't coming to mine any time soon. Everyone's happy.:)

---------- Post added at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:57 ----------

Are you going to go for any more edits, or is three/four enough?:eek:mg:

cattyfatty

Reaction score
It is my opinion, as I stated whilst making a very valid cautionary post on the topic being discussed, that stalking rods are horrible things. Unfortunately I am a very experienced angler and bailiff and I have seen far too much terrible mouth damage for you to make me change my opinion sausage, so please go and bother someone who's interested.

nearly all your post you put on here have been negatived and a bit nasty
HAVE YOU GOT PMT WHAT WOMEN GET THIS TIME OF THE MONTH OR JUST A KEYBOARD WARRIORS ....

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
nearly all your post you put on here have been negatived and a bit nasty
HAVE YOU GOT PMT WHAT WOMEN GET THIS TIME OF THE MONTH OR JUST A KEYBOARD WARRIORS ....
Quote TWO posts of mine that have been ''negative and a bit nasty''
Because it seems pretty clear to me who's good at that out of the pair of us you silly little person
I'm allowed to give opinions and I don't like being misinterpreted deliberately by argumentative people, so go ahead and bring your inflamatory rubbish on because I'll quite happily put you down all day long sweetheart :w

---------- Post added at 02:27 ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 ----------

Another cracking assumption to top it all off. Why do I have alarm bells ringing that suggest that you aren't quite as new to the forum as you purport to be?
Rest assured, I won't be coming near your waters and you aren't coming to mine any time soon. Everyone's happy.:)

---------- Post added at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 23:57 ----------

Are you going to go for any more edits, or is three/four enough?:eek:mg:
I'm glad you don't like me after all
Maybe now you'll leave me alone and not try and argumentatively misinterpret good points that I'm making :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm glad you don't like me after all
Maybe now you'll leave me alone and not try and argumentatively misinterpret good points that I'm making :)

I don't know you so have no idea whether I like you or not.

I'll happily leave you alone, provided that you don't go casting aspertions on anyone using short rods with patently ridiculous sweeping statements. You know nothing about me, where I fish, or, rather obviously, the rods I've recommended. If you do besmirch people in such a way, don't act all surprised when someone defends themselves from your baseless slurs. It is a very gentle defence, you've got needlessly stroppy.

BTW, "I'm a bailiff and have fifty years experience", or similar, means very little to me. It's only a notch or two up from "my dad's bigger than your dad". I know bailiffs that couldn't catch a cold if they wandered through a cold virus lab licking all the surfaces. I also know plenty of eighty year olds that will claim seventy years of angling experience. The reality being that there are twenty year olds out there that have put far more hours in.

elzevir

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm allowed to say I don't like short stalking rods
There you go I've just said it again

And one more for good measure:

I don't like short stalking rods

---------- Post added at 04:31 ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 ----------

Here is a very valid opinion and cautionary tale against the use of stalking rods and advise against snaggy, pokey swims which should probably not be fished at all

Apparently I'm not allowed to have this opinion and air it but I beg to differ
Stalking rods are very dangerous to carps mouths, period.

I will just re-post this every time I get people trying to undermine me just because they have been mug enough to buy all the kit that they probably never use and good luck with your spod rods and marker rods as well but I will be sticking to two decent quality carp rods which is all I will ever need as personally I'm not a sucker for marketing and think for myself.

Feel free to call the old bill as giving opinions is against the law:

Personally I would be very wary of fishing for carp in swims that are simply not fair and not on
Their safety comes first
My rule is that if a swim is not open enough to use a normal 12 foot rod then I will not fish it
Carp need rest areas, don't go poking round in their bedroom
I'm sure lots of people would love you to buy more gear than you need though

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Actually carp rods are 12 feet for the reason that it is the optimum length for casting long distances and accuracy and compressability to achieve the distance and accuracy required... the original carp rods from Walkers era were 10' in length and 1.5lb so your theory is erroneous... as a case in point the Nash Dwarf 10' rods in 1.75 are as close to the cane rods of the era as to make no difference....

For my own preference I use Dwarf 9' 2.75lb rods for all my carping needs... they will chuck a 2.5oz lead over 100yds and land fish with no mouth damage at all. I also have a Berkeley "Snide" 7'6" rod of 2.2lbs TC, I have landed fish to 21lbs on the Snide with no mouth damage whatsoever...

Just because you are not a fan, there is no reason to taint the thread with horror stories, or get the hump over other folks reactions... chill:cool:

cattyfatty

Reaction score
Quote TWO posts of mine that have been ''negative and a bit nasty''
Because it seems pretty clear to me who's good at that out of the pair of us you silly little person
I'm allowed to give opinions and I don't like being misinterpreted deliberately by argumentative people, so go ahead and bring your inflamatory rubbish on because I'll quite happily put you down all day long sweetheart :w[COLOR="Silver"

deffo keyboard warrior ..... im not your sweetheart..
you been on here for a couple off day giving it a big ONE. END OFF........

robtherake

Reaction score
Good grief, I've had enough of this **** - handbags at dawn doesn't come close. I can see people leaving this site in droves.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Good grief, I've had enough of this **** - handbags at dawn doesn't come close. I can see people leaving this site in droves.

I wouldn't worry about it, just a reincarnation of a stroppy former member with an axe to grind and imaginary scores to settle. Besides, it was ages ago.