Fish behaviour in a clear river

theartist

Reaction score
I was going to put this in the 'How you got on' thread but it turned more into an experiment.

Yesterday I fished a small, some would say tiny river which was low and gin clear due to the lack of rain we are suffering in these parts.
I started by chucking out a handful of 4mm pellets and these were smashed mid water by a large shoal of good roach and a few barbel. On went the float and whilst I was after roach I went heavier than normal with the barbel about - 4lb mainline 3.6lb hooklength and a size 18.

The first few casts trotting pellet saw plenty of quick bites which resulted in a few cracking roach and decent barbel before they retreated to the far bank cover. All were caught really shallow with my shotting set up gradually working it's way to the base of the float with just a no10 dropper 10 inches from the hook. It looked crude but it was the only way to get a bite and a couple more good roach followed. From then on the fish, now mainly all roach would only come out for a decent sized handful of pellets, once again taking them on the drop before retreating - none were feeding off the bottom.

Bites were now rare or just too quick to hit so I changed to maggots, this time the water came alive with big dace, the odd perch and some of the roach. With polaroids on and white maggot on the hook I was able to watch the bait itself but despite this the majority of bites were still too quick. Off came the float leaving just the one dust shot which was all the weight I needed to get out there. The difference was staggering not only did I get more bites it was a fish a chuck with big dace, perch and a few more of the decent roach. It was a trick I used to use a lot as a kid it's it's still jolly good fun!

After quite a few fish in quick succession the swim understandably went dead again so I tried feeding hemp, once again the water came alive, this time all roach out from the far bank cover to hit the feed midwater. Rather than putting the float back on I opted to freeline a fake bit of hemp and whilst it was a lot harder to see than a maggot i was still able to whittle out a few more nice roach not far from the surface but the cast had to hit the water at the same time as the feed to stand a chance.

These redfins were all around the pound mark so to trick them in the bright sun was good going but what was noticable was how crude a good float set up is in comparison to freelining. Especially the strike which is so direct without the angle of rod tip to float. Also the roach were by far the canniest with the bait only being taking when it was going though amongst the loosefeed and at the perfect pace. Changing the bait made a difference each time and I didn't spot a single fish feeding off the bottom all day.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I also enjoy (stream) free lining maggot/hemp with a 'dust' or sometimes use half a matchstick as a change - as you say it can make a big difference and great fun..

peterjg

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Why are roach willing to feed enthusiastically for hemp in clear water? They also feed in clear water where it is in shadow but when the sun moves around and the swim is sunny the roach stop. I know that roach feed better in dull conditions but I think that not enough attention is given to shade - at least by me anyway.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't want to go into too much of 'the time of day' fishing as everyone has their own ideas - those that know me known that I generally fish between 10am ish - 3.30pm ish (rivers/gravel pits/farm ponds) You'll still catch specimen fish, it's just that in clear conditions your presentation and watercraft has got to be somewhat better..........

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A cracking days fishing Art, I like free-lining when I can and the conditions allow it. Sounds to me the bait was looking natural when it was cast in with the free stuff and allowed to sink with it which was not the case with the float. In such shallow clear water this must have been important to the fish.
I cannot think why a few fish were not snuffling a few morsels off the bottom though, was this the case with the barbel as well?

trotter2

Reaction score
I have noticed this scenario before fish will only take bait falling through the water, when its on the bottom it is dead feed. Its usually a sign the fish are stationed in mid water and reluctant to go down only moving up to intercept the bait .
Even the most sensitive float can be crude and alters the way the bait free falls through the water column.

Good post M8 :)

theartist

Reaction score
A cracking days fishing Art, I like free-lining when I can and the conditions allow it. Sounds to me the bait was looking natural when it was cast in with the free stuff and allowed to sink with it which was not the case with the float. In such shallow clear water this must have been important to the fish.
I cannot think why a few fish were not snuffling a few morsels off the bottom though, was this the case with the barbel as well?

Sorry for the late reply Mark - I was slumming it up on the Severn for the last few days ;) Yes the barbel were only taking midwater too, it is a very heavily fished river and whilst in most swims they still usually root about but here they were very skitty due I think to the low conditions.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

I have noticed this scenario before fish will only take bait falling through the water, when its on the bottom it is dead feed. Its usually a sign the fish are stationed in mid water and reluctant to go down only moving up to intercept the bait .
Even the most sensitive float can be crude and alters the way the bait free falls through the water column.

Good post M8 :)

Cheer dude, agree with what you said although I'm betting there wasn't anything left on the deck come the following morning.

trotter2

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply Mark - I was slumming it up on the Severn for the last few days ;) Yes the barbel were only taking midwater too, it is a very heavily fished river and whilst in most swims they still usually root about but here they were very skitty due I think to the low conditions.

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Cheer dude, agree with what you said although I'm betting there wasn't anything left on the deck come the following morning.

Yes I agree, Have you noticed if you allow the baited hook to reach the river bed, if you take a fish its usually a minnow LOL.
Regarding Barbel feeding mid water yes they do I have even witnessed Barbel taking Floating casters of the surface. And IMO they are imposable to catch :)

no-one in particular

Reaction score

"Slumming it on the Severn" now your just getting blase. Time you put a few blanks under your belt like the rest of us.:) Seriously, you must have kept yourself well hidden from the fish in low clear water and I have never caught any Barbel mid-water or seen them on the surface but, I did used to hear some Royalty anglers tell me how the barbel there used to come up and grab the swim-feeder as it hit the surface.

theartist

Reaction score

"Slumming it on the Severn" now your just getting blase. Time you put a few blanks under your belt like the rest of us.:) Seriously, you must have kept yourself well hidden from the fish in low clear water and I have never caught any Barbel mid-water or seen them on the surface but, I did used to hear some Royalty anglers tell me how the barbel there used to come up and grab the swim-feeder as it hit the surface.

The water where i get them coming up is notoriously easy and packed with fish so there's competition and whilst I dont bang about or skyline them my stealth revolved around just sitting still. They would retreat to the far bank overhang despite it being less than a foot there each time and I'm pretty sure they were aware of my presence. This made their actions even more intriguing. Having said that I did have a couple of barbel on the severn on the float too. The swim I was in was impossible to hold back in as too fast - a proper swim, so my bait must have been wafting about off the deck despite my best attempts at holdbackery. I was after chub or anything would do really so blanking isn't an option this time of year:) I just 'slum' up there, soaking up the amazing scenery. Then get bought back down to earth when I come back here:D

laguna

Reaction score
Crude and rudimentary as a float is; unless you have fish close in and its gin clear, its often the only visual aid you have, and besides its what I prefer anyway!! :)

Finding the depth at which fish are feeding and intercepting loose feed is crucial, it doesn't always mean having to drag the bottom each time and especially worthwhile considering if you're able to remove all or most of the shot for fishing mid depth.
Its similar to what I do when fishing for finicky roach except, instead of free-lining and removing the float, I simply extend the hook length significantly and cast upstream allowing the flow to carry the slack line unhindered (hopefully ahead of the float) which is easily done with shot removed. Its a presentation I've often favoured in the past as it allows fish to intercept the bait in free-fall without much resistance following the natural flow of the river. Once the line straightens out as it reaches me and begins being dragged ahead by the float; I simply hold back for a few seconds and then reel in as it begins to arch towards the nearside bank. A few catapulted maggots prior to each cast upstream generally results in a good few fish this time of year.

The difference between my freebies and the hook bait when catching on the drop, is that I like to use a smaller sized bait to counter the weight of the hook. When using maggots I sometimes put two floating wet ones on the hook as they're a bit more buoyant and fall at a similar rate to the loose fed ones. The hook weight can also be offset with a bit of rig foam too or a similar looking buoyant artificial bait of some kind.
If I want my hookbait and float to 'connect' a little bit further down stream, then its a simple matter of extending the hook length. A modified Wallis cast gets round any rod length limitations.

Another way to offset the balance of the hook would be to use bread flake in conjunction with loose fed maggots. You could also try something which might seem a bit alien to most anglers trotting midwater for barbel and that is; to feed 8mm pellets with a 6mm hookbait so that it falls at a similar rate - the usual way would be to use micros and a donkey choker on the hook? Soaked loose feed also falls faster than a dry hook bait of the same size so that's worth bearing in mind too.

Good post by the way.