A Fishing Book from 1964.......

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
My wife phoned me from an Oxfam Shop in Marlow this afternoon to tell me thay had a 1964 book on fishing for £1.99................GET IT!!said I hoping it would be a 1st edition by Walker or similar.....

Not so-it is a paperback titled PRACTICAL FISHING-Hints & Expert advice-edited by one William BCurrie.This little wonder covers everything from Rod Design,Repairs and Maintenance through to advice on weather and fly fishing-all in 120 pages!!(plus 2 pages on Coarse Fishing)

Inside it tells me work by several authors hasbeen included:Robert Wilson'one of the few hand builders of cane rods still operating in Britain'-Ian Calcott'dealing mainly with Game Fishing'-and John Marlow'contributes several chapters on the Coarse Fishing scene'

Now,I may not be an expert on fishing authors but I do have a reasonable collection of books and for the life of me I cannot recall any of the above names("each is a writer of note on fishing topics and each brings something of his success to this symposium")although John Marlow rings a bell(probably because I live near Marlow!)but other than that they are a mystery...

Can anyone throw some light on these giants of the angling world??

ps This book is a realduffer but I thanked my wife graciously anyway!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Bill Currie used to write on game fishing topics in both the old Sheffield Angling Telegraph of the 60s as well as Trout & Salmon.

Ian Calcott I have heard of.

The others - no.

Ian Scarfe

Reaction score
Was that the Calcott of Calcott's tackle down the wicker in Sheffield?

Ian

C

Colin North, the one and only

Some of the names sound familiar.....but I don't specifically recall anything of them.