Is it hot enough for you?

B

binka

Cor, blimey…

I couldn’t decide whether to have a session tomorrow given that it’s supposed to be even hotter than today and so I decided instead on a picnic at a nice location on the river with a rod for company, a brolly for shade and instead of the honest bacon and sausage I’ve gone all Mediterranean with olives and sun dried tomatoes (sun dried… that’s always made me laugh, a bit like my washing then!).

Add some top quality smoked applewood cheddar, lamb and chicken kofte and a sour cream and chive dip and I’ve got meself a session.

Is the hot weather putting you off your fishing or are you basking in it with a smile on yer face and a rod by your side?

sam vimes

Reaction score
For the first time in a while, I was fairly pleased to be working. Not that it wasn't a bit too hot to be working outdoors in, but I know that a low clear river in bright sun isn't the best and neither are the stillwaters I frequent.

Strange though, working in 40 degree Gulf heat is much less unpleasant than 25+ in the UK. I feel a little pink around the edges and I'm not looking forward to tomorrow much, if the forecast is right.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'll be plodding the streets of central London tomorrow in 34+ degrees?
Work is work innit?
Even if I had the day off I wouldn't go fishing as the fish will probably be feeling hot too...:confused:

draindweller

Reaction score
Im still giving it a bash tomorrow, only got Wednesday and Thursday off work this week and plan to be out both days :)

Hot sun or not, it beats work.

chrissh

Reaction score
I got out today not one of the best of day fishing but did get a bit of a tan, after living and working in the middle east for 15 years 80% of the year is like winter

t3335e

Reaction score
I spent 5 hours on the bank today, 3 and a half of those tucked away from the sun under cover, carp not playing ball so out with the float rod for a little while, roach after roach on corn and now to the amusement of my loving wife, i look like a post box, oh and it's starting to hurt. So yeah, plenty hot enough!
Hope it's a bit cooler for Thursdays session.

lambert1

Reaction score
Actually getting a bit fed up with working in it to be honest. I am thinking of changing my name to Aquarius with the amount of water I need to take with me each day!

Windy

Reaction score
Too hot for me to get out and about, cowered indoors all day, not even mowed the lawn.
Daywalker blood in the family, tho not a ginge myself I burn like one if I'm not careful to avoid it.

Aussie Bob

Reaction score
Strange though, working in 40 degree Gulf heat is much less unpleasant than 25+ in the UK. I feel a little pink around the edges and I'm not looking forward to tomorrow much, if the forecast is right.

Last time i was in England it was the same 23-24 degrees was much more unpleasant than 35+ in Australia....as Windy says the humidity is the problem. Very close and sticky. Mind you 25-28 with dry heat is about perfect...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Far too warm to consider fishing in my view.

Mind you, I work in Aberdeen where the forecast high for today is all of 16°C . . . . . and yesterday while you in the South were sweltering, up here we had a balmy 21°C

Still, it was rather nice to sit on the veranda last night with a glass of chilled Chablis watching the River Dee glide peacefully by . . . . . .

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Far too hot for me, never could handle this heat. I've just come down from the greenhouse, after damping down and removing double glazed sheets, I'm just about knackered. Outside thermometer registered a temperature of 70 degrees, and that was at 7-30am. And it can only get worse, perhaps I'm part pike. Staying indoors for the rest of the day with the fans on.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Having worked on steaming building sites all over the globe I still find the UK in + 30 temperatures I bit hard to bear.. I would have given today a miss anyway, but sitting out, even in good shade, just seems to sap the body and mind after a while and it becomes pointless as far as catching is concerned. I think one tend to make bad decisions as well....

Yesterday was just about bearable, but come 11am enough was enough and I left the fish sunning themselves on the surface, although some anglers decided being next to the water was a sight better than being at home....

Lunch with the wife wasn't a bad alternative, anyway..............................

ps My wife decide that the heat was too much for her precious tomato plants, so on reaching home I found her painting the greenhouse roof glass with some white concoction, and the same plants were also covered with netting as well. Obviously you cannot do enough for a good tom plant, and I just hope it's all worth the effort otherwise faces will be longish..................................

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Thick cloud where I am and 32 driving in at 0830. Just been out to get a few bits and its 34 now and as humid as you like. I'm sweating like a farrowing sow and about as fragrant.

Given the cloud cover I cannot believe somebody is not having it LARGE somewhere today.

nicepix

Reaction score
It has been mid thirties and oppressively humid relentlessly for around two weeks out here. I cancelled my mole trapping jobs this week as being out in the open for two or three hours setting traps is no fun. I've just been doing a few tidying up jobs and finishing off jobs. Even then its too hot in a none air-con equipped Blingo to be driving from job to job.

I cut the grass yesterday afternoon and that was knackering too. Looking forward to some rain later in the week - I hope.